Weightlifting diet for women - 40% fat - does it work?

Options
I'd like to hear from some weightlifters out there with experience building muscle and trimming fat AND if your diet has consisted of 40% fat. I'm in a new weight training program (not a newbie, just a new program) and looking to get lean, build muscle, etc. I've been tracking my calories on MFP for many months and often 40% of my total daily calories are fat calories. This fat consists of flax seed, coconut oil, coconut and almond flour, almonds, cashews - a very paleo type diet. So, for you bodybuilding athletes out there who have achieved a low body fat % overall - is your diet 40% fat? My TDEE is typically in range, and I eat back half to all of my exercise calories.

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    there's nothing inherently right or wrong with a diet that consists of 40% fat.
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly primal & 50% of my calories are from high quality healthy fats. I have been doing heavy lifting 3-4x/week since the beginning of January &, with eating enough calories & protein, have gained 4lbs of muscle (though I'm a newbie so that's partly why I gained faster) & without trying my BF% has dropped slightly & I was at around 16.5% already.

It's definitely doable.