Not Losing Weight - MFP calorie counter correct?

Options
13»

Replies

• dallas4u
    Options
    Well there definity is a lot of information out there about nutrition and training. It is very overwhelming. I think my plan of attack will be to purchase a HRM that has a calorie counter built into the watch. I found a Polar HRM w/ those features. I do not want a HRM with all the bells and whistles - just HRM and calorie count.

Then, I am going to set my calorie counter on MFP manually to 1600 calories.

I just started in the past month and have been so desperate to lose. I think the culprit was eating back calories and inaccurate calorie counts with exercising. I think MFP and even the machines at the gym overestimate how many calories are really burned. I do use the Precor ellipticals with the HRM on the handles - however, I still think it may estimate too high (even though I do put my age and weight into the machine).

If my approach does not work, then I may try the Scooby approach. I guess you just have to keep trying until something works.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Well there definity is a lot of information out there about nutrition and training. It is very overwhelming. I think my plan of attack will be to purchase a HRM that has a calorie counter built into the watch. I found a Polar HRM w/ those features. I do not want a HRM with all the bells and whistles - just HRM and calorie count.

Then, I am going to set my calorie counter on MFP manually to 1600 calories.

I just started in the past month and have been so desperate to lose. I think the culprit was eating back calories and inaccurate calorie counts with exercising. I think MFP and even the machines at the gym overestimate how many calories are really burned. I do use the Precor ellipticals with the HRM on the handles - however, I still think it may estimate too high (even though I do put my age and weight into the machine).

If my approach does not work, then I may try the Scooby approach. I guess you just have to keep trying until something works.

the nice thing about the Precor elliptical is that it will read your polar HRM, I use one here at work and have a Polar Ft7. The Precor reads from my chest strap, so i do not have to look at the watch to see my heart rate, but you are right, it gives me about 100+ extra calories burnt over my HRM, so get one it is a good investment.