Couscous?? Good or bad???

Options
Is couscous a good choice or bad choice? Or neither?

Replies

• eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I would say it's neither good or bad. It's actually just pasta, so it has the same stats basically as spaghetti.

There isn't much fiber, which again, isn't always good or bad. The only thing "bad" persay is that it's wheat and some people have problem with wheat, and also that it has a high GI, which would be bad for diabetics.

http://voices.yahoo.com/is-couscous-healthy-5657146.html?cat=5
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    It tastes good!!! I've not had it since I've been watching what I eat, but next time I try it, would like to try the whole wheat variety to see how it measures up... As long as you are still within your carb limit for the day it should be fine.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Neither. Eat a sensibly portion, log it in the diary, make sure it fits your calories for the day and your good!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    you forgot to mention the amount and what the rest of your diet is comprised of?
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    you forgot to mention the amount and what the rest of your diet is comprised of?

I was going to try making this for dinner
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    if it fits into your calorie/macro targets and it tastes good then it is good :smile:
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I prefer Israeli couscous. It's a texture thing. :)
  • StellaHarmon
    StellaHarmon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    couscous is an excellent slimming food because it swells in the stomach, which means we fill up more quickly and tend not to eat so much. And recent studies from Canada suggest that a key chemical contained in it can boost your body's ability to burn fat and curb your appetite.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    couscous is an excellent slimming food because it swells in the stomach, which means we fill up more quickly and tend not to eat so much. And recent studies from Canada suggest that a key chemical contained in it can boost your body's ability to burn fat and curb your appetite.

You sure you got the right food? It's just made of wheat.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I love whole wheat couscous. I sautee chopped onions and garlic in olive oil and then add that to the chicken broth I use for the couscous instead of water. Delish! Don't forget the salt and pepper.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Options

I was going to try making this for dinner

Oops! Forgot the link!
    http://www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,10000002011065,00.html
  • Ultragirl2374
    Options

Oh! I like this a lot! :)