Hunger Pain at Night - Coffee or Tea ok?

Options
I tend to make dinner my last meal (around 6:30pm ET) and so around 9pm or so the hunger pains hit.. Usually what I’ve been doing is drinking a glass of coffee or tea to suppress this.. Yes I know people say drink water, but I feel drinking coffee or tea helps better. Is this wrong for weight loss? I'm trying to lose weight and be good.. I could eat dinner later however this time works the best for a family dinner. Any other suggestions or tips ?? Thanks.

Replies

• RadioactivePirate
    Options
    If you're so hungry you're in pain, you should probably eat more.
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options

When losing weight and watching calories don't think that would be wise IMO.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? You maybe too low. Also save some calories til night if that is when you are most hungry. If I ate dinner at 6:30 I would be starving at 9 too. Most nights I have dinner around 8pm.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Caffine at night will just jack you up and crash you down. Try to fill up on healthy foods and water before 8 pm latest. I am working on this myself. No pain. Just in the middle of the night cravings. A bad habit that must ,and will be broken eventually. A work in progress. Baby steps...keep trying different ways to change your habit, but I believe everyone would agree and say, no no to caffine in the evening.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Save some of your calories so you can have a snack.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options

You can eat at whatever time you please, as long as you stay within your calorie goal. There is absoutly no reason to be so hungry that you are in pain. That is a surefire way to fail. Losing weight doesn't have to be, and shouldn't be a miserable experience.
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Drinking tea at night works for me. Just a little milk and no sugar. I drink decaffeinated tea in the evening. I lost 26 lbs.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Hot Tea, but make sure its decafe. :) Hot liquid always helps the hunger.. also try a protein shake at night.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

Why?

I eat dinner at about 6:00 and will always have a snack, usually a bowl of cereal or ice cream, around 8:30. If you are physically hungry, you should eat.
  • RandiDM
    Options
    I have found that drinking the Celestial Seasonings caffeine free hot teas at night when I get a craving works well for me. I keep 3-5 different flavors on hand, and choose them according to what I crave. The Sugar Cookie Sleighride that they have around the holiday season is great, and so is the Sleepytime Vanilla Camomile before bed.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Eat food. If you are truly hungry.. .Food... seriously its ok to eat after 9pm you are not a mogwai, you will not become some kind of gremlin.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options

I refuse to go to bed hungry and I have lost 27 out of 30 lbs....are you eating too much early in the day and not enough late? I eat 5 or 6 smaller meals with my last one shortly before bed.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    If your getting hunger pain id say you need more calories as an allowance for the day. Saving some calories for night time would be wise. Makes no difference to weight loss which time you eat. I always have a night time snack.

Zara
  • dxtra30
    Options
    Eat food. If you are truly hungry.. .Food... seriously its ok to eat after 9pm you are not a mogwai, you will not become some kind of gremlin.

LMAO!.. that's awesome!.. Thanks!
  • dxtra30
    Options
    Good Points and suggesstions all.. Thank you
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Having calories left at the end of the journal is rewarding for when the guts are growling. 2-3pnut butter cracker works for me along with bottle water:)
  • lisa483
    lisa483 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? You maybe too low. Also save some calories til night if that is when you are most hungry. If I ate dinner at 6:30 I would be starving at 9 too. Most nights I have dinner around 8pm.

This^^^^
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Chances are you are eating empty calories if you are still hungry. Open your diary.

Also you may not know how to react to hunger... coffee may keep you awake, so decaf coffee/tea or water is great. I have spinach salads if I'm hungry. I found that usually it's my mind and not my belly. Need to break the habit!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Coffee acts as an appetite suppressant, so decaf would be a good option. Or just save some calories for later.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Coffee or tea should be okay, if it doesn't keep you from sleeping. How about eating a raw carrot, celery or an apple? You won't have to save many calories to accommodate any of those.