if you've chucked the scale, how often to measure?

Options
I've tried to be less obsessive about jumping on the scale, but it's not working. I need to quit it cold turkey for a while. The last time I took my measurements was 2/3. If I give up the scale and focus on measurements, how often should i be doing them? Monthly? Weekly? 2x/ month?

Thanks!

Replies

• karajulie
    karajulie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I measure once a week. I do my chest, waist, "pooch" , hips, thigh and bicep. I dont have a scale but weigh in once a week as well. I think measuring helps to keep you going when you plateau weight wise, but can see inches coming off. I want to be a "size" not a weight. Whatever weight goes with the size I like....so beit.

Good luck =)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I measure about once a month, usually after a rest day, and nowhere near that time of the month. I would probably measure more often if it was as easy as stepping on the scale! :tongue:

It's definitely a better way to judge your progress though - I dropped a full pants size, lost fat & quite a few inches over several months without losing a single pound on the scale. Embrace the tape measure - take photos too!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I've literally just posted on my status saying I am only going to weigh once a month. So now I will weigh and measure just once a month. You are on my friends list so will see my results on there :)
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Great feedback! I have measurement spreadsheet and Ill update it every 2 weeks. I have a nice unflattering before picture too, in fact lots of them! I'm trying to.figure out how to be more patient and stop hopping on the scale constantly and basing my entire mood on the results. I'm driving my husband crazy!
  • loriepaulin
    loriepaulin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    So encouraging. I too need to stop being so scale obsessive. I need to focus on how I feel and the inches. :) Great thread here...this helps me mentally more then you know!
  • steph_stein
    Options
    I didn't completely chuck the scale. I gave it to someone at work so I can only weigh-in on Mondays. It helps not obsess.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have not given up the scale... I am less obsessive about it, not weighing daily, but now I pop on every 2-3 days rather than weekly. I would love to weigh in once a month but in some ways I need that reassurance the number is going down even though what truly matters is how my clothes are loosening... which isn't happening yet :/

Anyway... I measure once a month. Inches are very slow coming off at times.
  • danibu98
    Options
    I just need to figure out how to stay motivated without being obsessive. It's hard when you have SO MUCH to lose and you're up for the week and you've worked so hard. I think I hopped on the scale 6 times yesterday praying for it to go down. Dumb, I know. The scale showed up 5 lbs on Saturday, by weigh in today it was only up 2. I need to stop torturing myself!!! I am doing exactly what I need to do: eating less and moving more!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I hate the damn scale, and try not to weigh more than once a week....and only when I feel "skinny" (which doesn't always relate to the number on that damn scale!)

Am glad to be smaller, and clothes fitting better...............am trying to make that be enough!

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Every third week for measuring. Gives me enough time to make adjustments if needed. Not to long that it lets me fall off course...Keeps me on track and stay with the lifestlye

Nutrition is a diet........Nutrition with exercise is a LIFESTYLE
  • recee27
    Options
    I have a friend who has a degree in nutrition and fitness and I asked her one day what I should be doing because the scale wasn't showing all the hard work I am doing. She told me to "THROW OUT THE SCALE"!!! It's only a number and it can ruin your entire day. A scale can't show you true results. The way you feel and the way your clothes fit can. I still have my scale, but I will only weigh once every two weeks and I REFUSE to let a number determine how I feel about my hard work! Measuring is something I can actually SEE and feel good about. Whatever you choose, don't let it keep you from being proud of how much work you are doing to become healthy!
  • scoutfinchie
    scoutfinchie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good question. I weigh twice a month (middle and end of month) and measure only once a month (end of month). When I measure, I also try on my intermediate goal jeans and my ultimate goal jeans. I try to do a "last chance workout, a la "Biggest Loser" on the day before I weigh in, and I always weigh in the morning before any food or drink. I try to remind myself that muscle weighs more than fat and that muscle is what is revving my metabolism and reshaping my body!
  • danibu98
    Options
    I did the jeans measure too- took your advice! I can get them about halfway up my thighs. I have mega abdomen though, so it'll be a long time before i can even consider buttoning them!
  • volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I weigh-in once a month..I drop off the scale at my parents so that I'm not tempted to weigh in more..I find I try harder when I don't have the scale (and don't get discouraged or slack off because of the numbers)..