WTF Scale????

Options
So I just bought a new scale (dial style taylor scale), haven't weighed my self since mid december (p.s have been dieting since new years) and it says I weigh 20 more pounds since my last weigh in??? This seems crazy!! Especially since a dress I bought in December that was a size too small now fits perfectly. WTF world. Has anybody else come across widely inaccurate scales? Or am in denial?

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    double check and weigh yourself on another scale.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Replied without reading entire post. Yeah makes no sense
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Muscle??
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I hated my Taylor scale (didn't reset) and then it died put in new batteries and died again the next day. I will not buy another Taylor.
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    I'm going with muscle. If you have shrank in size but weigh more it's probably muscle. I agree with testing your weight on another scale. It's possible you got a defective scale.
  • ACrowsDay
    ACrowsDay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just bought a new scale and it weighs 5 lbs. heavier than the old one! What a bummer...feels like I gained 5 lbs!!:sad:
  • fluffypetal
    Options
    Hiya,

I had a similar problem. I was weighing myself on one set of scales and they broke so I got another set and they told me I was 10lb heavier than what I was on other scales. Complete downer :-(

So i had to change all my settings on here again BUT it gave me a extra big boost and the need to try and succeed.

Annie xx
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Muscle??

would be nearly impossible to gain that much muscle in a month.

That being said, if your clothes and such are fitting better it would be nearly impossible to explain 20lb gain of fat or muscle or water or whatever. The current scale is not set up properly or malfunctioning. If what is on the scale is correct there was obviously an error in your start weight reading. If that is the case you can't let that discourage you, you've lost inches so your body is obviously responding the way you hoped, you just have to accept there was an issue, forget about the number and know you probably did indeed lose some weight but now you just have 'reset' what you thought you weighed and go from here.
  • hearty_521
    hearty_521 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would recommend having someone else weigh on the scale to determine its accuracy. I would also recommend the digital scale. Fingers crossed that its linked to inaccuracy or muscle.
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I would say either your old scale or new scale (or both) are a little off. 20 lbs. of muscle seems like alot in a couple months. Do you have your old scale to do a comparison? If not, try a third scale and see what it says. I had a similar issue when I bought a new scale, but it was only a 5 lb. difference (heavier, of course :laugh: ). I just added the 5 lbs. to my previous measurements and kept on trucking.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Is that a fancy schmancy digital scale that is harder to calibrate than beans! I'd take it back to the store and opt for an old fashioned kind thats easy to calibrate.
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely no way on 20 Lbs of muscle gain...first and foremost, you have to eat a lot to build muscle..you don't build appreciable muscle in a calorie deficit. I don't think even a body builder on a strict body building diet and workout routine would eve come remotely close to that....maybe 20 Lbs in a year or something being very strict.

One of both of the scales are off...doesn't matter...take measurements, including BF%...that's all that matters.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you have the chance to stop in at your doctor's office to do a quick weight, that would be the best thing to "level set" an accurate (or more accurate) weight for yourself. My scales at home weigh me 3 lbs heavier than my doctor's office scales. It's a bummer, but maybe this scale could be more accurate? If not, then by all means take it back and opt for a different one!!

Also, you might try weighing a few things that you are sure about (or close proximity), like a 15 lb dumbbell, 45 lb plate... something like that... to see if the scale is close to accurate or not.

Good luck! Bummer....
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I hate scales and have good days and bad days. I will weigh more by 5 pounds one day and then gradually lose one pound a day. When my cycle comes, I gain 8 pounds in one day! it sux!!
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Make sure your scale is calibrated, most new scales have to "reset" to 0 before being accurate.

Else - maybe your old scale was broken? not a happy thought, but ...

Weigh in again tomorrow, have a backup scale to check up on the accuracy.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Put some dumbbells on the scale and see if it matched exactly what the size dumbbells they are, then go from there, if the scale is accurate then means your old scale was incorrect.

Goodluck
  • Elbeckistan
    Elbeckistan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I noticed a few months ago that my scale was acting strange and it had about a 5 pound weight fluctuation. I would step on the scale and it would be really high, then I would step on it again a few minutes later and it would be really low. So I bought a new, expensive, and more accurate scale, and I went home and found out that I was 6 pounds heavier than I thought I was. It was disappointing at first, but now my scale is almost dead on with my doctors office scale. I eventually got over the surprise "gain". Try not to focus too much on the scale. It will drive you nuts!
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Sounds like that scale sucks.
    I just recently bought Weight Watchers Scale at Walmart (it was about $50). It has lots of features which I really wanted ( measures bone mass, body fat % etc). I like it so far. One thing you need to do though, is stick to one scale. My ugly older one says I weigh more, and this digital one says I weigh less. So I stick to one at all times and only weigh in the morning around the same time every time. Hopefully you get it all sorted out! Good luck :)
  • toritoriprind
    toritoriprind Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ok I feel better, my fella came home and got on the scale and it was 20lbs off for him. DON"T BUY TAYLOR SCALES!