5k and SO happy!

Options
When I first joined the gym the guy doing the induction asked me about the last time I ran. I said, nineteen eighty seven. He said again, no WHEN was the last time you did any serious running. I reiterated...1987...when I was at university..Sadly, he had thought I was quoting the time of my last run but no..it was. really, in 1987.
Today I ran 5k for the first time ever. I did it in 36 mins and 47 seconds. And I didn't die!
My first thought apart from WATER was to post here as the great thing about this site is that people understand. I have two main groups of friends, two of my best friends run marathons, the others would only run to catch a cab or if the bar was about to close. Neither group can really understand what an achievement it is, for me. So while I know that there are people here for whom 5k is nothing but they probably remember when it was just a dream. And for those for whom 5k is just a dream, well if I can do it anyone can!

So, that's it! Just wanted to share!

Replies

• thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    Congratulations! It's such a great accomplishment to cross that finish line - whether it's for the first time or the first time in a LONG time! Keep it up! :)
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    I just started the c25k program. I'm closer to the couch right now lol. I'm only on week 2 day 2. But I'm getting there slowly. Great job on making it! Hopefully in 8 weeks, I'll have similar news to report.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! :happy: I can't wait to run my first 5k!!
  • sheenmarie3
    sheenmarie3 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good Job!:happy: I ran my third 5k last weekend and did the same...I wanted under 40 mins and I did! I'm not really a runner either....Such a great feeling!
  • martidom
    martidom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Great job. It is great to have a goal and accomplish it. The feeling makes you feel on top of the world and you earned it.

Here's to you. :flowerforyou:
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    My first 5k (in 2002 I believe) was 36:12. Pretty close to where you are!!

Never again did I get a time higher than that. All down hill from there!! Way to go. :):)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What a great accomplishment. Before I started the C25K, I could barely run to catch a bus. I would be completely exhausted and out of breath. Yesterday I ran for 20 minutes straight. Tomorrow will be 25 minutes. I hope I can do it. I plan to run my first 5K in July during Kent Cornucopia Days. I'll be happy just to finish. :laugh: Thanks for posting. :flowerforyou:
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It is such a great goal and accomplishment for yourself. I did my first one in April and I have one this Friday in Fargo ND of all places. I hope to be below 37 minutes. You are fantastic!!!
  • Jay_83
    Jay_83 Posts: 446
    Options
    I am one that totally gets it! When I tell certain friends what I have accomplished, not much reaction. It's like they know and they've done it before so its no big deal.(which they havent) I am happy to have my husband that tells me every day what an accomplishment it is. Be totally proud of whatever step you are at. I have been training for a half marathon the last three months after losing 30 pounds. Each one was a step and I am proud of what I have been able to do. As I increased my distance when I ran, I felt good about myself everytime and yet 21 km seemed so far away. Just two weekends ago I ran from my home town to the next town and back. A whopping 20KM! Now I can see myself finishing. You are totally right: If I can do it, anyone can! Congratulations and I look forward to hearing about your upcoming goals!
    Cheers!:bigsmile:
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Congratulations on your first 5K! It really feels like such an accomplishment, huh?! My husband & I have decided to go ahead & step up to a 10K this weekend! I psyched! Keep up the hard work!!:bigsmile:
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It is such a great goal and accomplishment for yourself. I did my first one in April and I have one this Friday in Fargo ND of all places. I hope to be below 37 minutes. You are fantastic!!!

But I hope it's not 37 below!! You never know in Fargo. ;)
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yay! Way to go! I just finished Couch 2 5K - I have my first 5K race June 12. Very exciting! (the last time I ran regularly I was a freshman in HS - so about 1984 or 85 lol)
  • natgayle
    natgayle Posts: 4
    Options
    congratulation. Hope i can make it to 5K soon.
  • natgayle
    natgayle Posts: 4
    Options
    congratulation. Hope i can make it to 5K soon.
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I am on week 4 of c25k and it's been a struggle. I've been doing everything I'm supposed to be doing and haven't wussed out once (aside from repeating week 3, twice). I've been consistantly training and still I can't imagine being able to run for 20 mins straight let alone run a 5k.
    Reading stories like yours makes me feel more confident that I too will one day reach my goal.
  • alisonengland
    alisonengland Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. It is nice to share good news with you guys! I will aim to knock a few seconds off each time so maybe by Xmas I will be under 30 mins!