Constant nose running when exercising, especially outdoors

Options
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else suffers from this and if so how do they treat it? i have suffered for years and take Anti-histamine tablets but they don't seem to make any difference, so I'm constantly blowing my nose whilst working out and its flipping annoying.. as well as having a sore nose :o(

I did mention it to my Doctor and he said I must have an allergy and have to lump it.

Any advice or tips much appreciated.

Replies

• tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Happens to me. I just deal with it. I dunno why it happens either.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Have you tried different allergy pills? The active ingredients in each are different, so some work better for some individuals or certain allergies than others. I had no luck with clariten, allegra worked for awhile then stopped working, but I've had success for years now with zyrtek.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    my nose runs, I salivate profusely and I usually fart a lot when I run.
  • shimsjojo
    Options
    glad to hear that I'm not the only one with a nose issue. I work out at home and keep kleenex on my eipitical at all times and yes it is fustrating. I have no answers!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's normal
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing - looked into it and it is exercise-induced rhinitis! It's basically an allergy to working out, lol. I am on antihistamines/decongestants that work great for my seasonal allergies but when I work out, the faucet comes on. It really bothered me at first but now I just always have tissues nearby or a hankie and I just power through.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm on antihistamines, nasal sprays and asthma tablets to stop the drip but nothing can stop the gush when I run or hike. I aways have a tissue just up my sleeve or (gross but true) just wipe with my gloves (I have thin ones for climbing over rocks - they go in the wash as soon as I get home!).

A smear of Vaseline around your nose before you set off will help protect it a bit. Also experiment with different tissues. I find kitchen towel good as it doesn't disintergrate as much when pulled in and out of your pocket.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Perfect the snot rocket, and just clear it out on the move. (I am being serious)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVcmQ0Abn8ASAo7x9-d0vHNPOqHSmNytfhqEk-NmBoirdgXD9IyQ
  • ecoughtrey
    ecoughtrey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responses :o) Glad I'm not the only one...feel a little better now :o)

I will definitely try some different tablets :o) And glad I'm allergic to exercise..lol

I tend to use Kitchen roll and always have some shoved down my sports bra..
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Perfect the snot rocket, and just clear it out on the move. (I am being serious)

My boyfriend has tried to persuade me to try this while climbing mountains. The only time I did it was windy and I ended up covered in slug trail. Ewwwww. Never again! (I'm such a girl!)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

This!! When I was a runner this was a huge problem, being a prissy female, I refused to blow my nose in public, no matter how uncomfortable it was, finally while training for a marathon in the dead of winter, I swallowed my pride and just did it. After that, I had to problem just letting the snot fling, I just tried to make sure no one was in snot shot.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list of EIR sufferers. I say "when I run, so does my nose." I learned from the time I first started running that I need to carry tissues in my running pack, take them on hikes, etc. The interesting thing for me is that it's actually gotten better over time. It's not been nearly as bad during the last 6 months. I ran a half marathon in January without using a single tissue!