Going over Carb & protein daily goal

Options
Im just wondering is its really bad if you go over your carbs and protein but keep your calories and fat amounts under your daily goal?

I'm finding it difficult to have my 1200 cals a day without going over with carbs/and or protein. Will it make a difference to my weight loss over the next couple of months?

I also feel hungry pretty much all the time, even after eating and drinking more water etc, what I have that will fill me up without going over my daily limit? Im hoping this will pass over the next couple of weeks once my stomach shrinks!

Any comments would be appreciated!

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    personally I find that I am hungrier the more carbs I eat. I always go over on my protein and under on my carbs and it satisfies my hunger better. The more carbs i eat, the more I want! The more protein I eat, the less hungry I am. But we are all different!
  • AllisonMS
    AllisonMS Posts: 104
    Options
    I'm set to eat 1200 calories a day, but it's simply not enough for me. I get mean by the end of the day!

So I exercise a lot, so I can eat more! (Around 1700 calories/day)

But I make sure at least one of my meals is a huge huge salad -- with a little protein (egg whites, chicken, fish). Tons of veggies and balsamic vinegar and mustard -- very filling, very low calories, very low carb.
  • CindyWard4u
    CindyWard4u Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    1200 could be just a little too low for you...how much do you currently weigh? I know when I first started out trying to loose I would restrict myself to 1200 and I would always "fail" because I stayed hungry and had the same issues you are having with going over on my carb/protein etc.
    I did my own thing and bumped my allowance up to 1500 and the only exercise i was doing at that time was walking 10,000 steps per day on avg...I lost 30 lbs in 3 months. I weighed over 200 lbs when i started.
    Once I dropped that 30 I started doing resistance training and I had to increase my calories to 1700-1800....and I STILL was loosing weight! I was amazed!
    Sometimes we have to eat more to lose.
  • magickfiddle
    Options
    Hey! Did you know that 3 leaves of red lettuce, a slice of tomato, a bit of vinaigrette dressing and a hard boiled egg turns into an amazing salad and only 61 total calories?
    Try only eating green leafy veggies (romaine is good for people who don't like spinach or chard or kale) as your base for lunch. If you like a bit of crunch, try some bacon bits or sunflower seeds for added protein!
    Try it! Good luck!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    I know that in general, you should shoot for 1gram of protein per pound of body weight.

try as I might, I can never seem to go over my protein amount. When I used the protein amount that MFP set for me, I would regularly go over. However, ever since I've set my own goal of 1gram/lb, I can't seem to go over.

Any ideas? I've even made a "smoothie" of greek yogurt and a protein suppliment, but I still can't seem to go over.

I do usually go over on my carbs, but most of my carbs are from fruits and veges so I'm really not concerned about going over on the carbs, as long as they are the good carbs. But that protein! No matter what I do, I can't seem to ever get the amount down.

Egg whites, cottage cheese, chicken, even edamame, somtimes jerky...any other suggestions of high protein foods? I tend to avoid protein bars since many of them are full of sugars and other nasty stuff.
  • vicks1982
    vicks1982 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for you comments!

I'm on 1200 cals a day and I've managed not to go over that so far, and where I have I done exercise to allow for this. I'm weighing in on sat will see if I lose anymore weight and then decided if I need to up my cals (even if its just another 100 - 150 might make all the difference!)

I managed to lose 12.5lbs in 2006 over the space of about 4 months doing Weight Watchers and found it was easier pointing, and I remember the hunger after about 2 weeks did subside, I think I just need to be patient!

I'm going on holiday in less than 2 weeks so I really want to lose another 4lbs if I can but feel like Im losing my motivation! The weather is cold and wet and all I want to do is hibernate and eat Chocolate!
  • CindyWard4u
    CindyWard4u Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know that in general, you should shoot for 1gram of protein per pound of body weight.

try as I might, I can never seem to go over my protein amount. When I used the protein amount that MFP set for me, I would regularly go over. However, ever since I've set my own goal of 1gram/lb, I can't seem to go over.

Any ideas? I've even made a "smoothie" of greek yogurt and a protein suppliment, but I still can't seem to go over.

I do usually go over on my carbs, but most of my carbs are from fruits and veges so I'm really not concerned about going over on the carbs, as long as they are the good carbs. But that protein! No matter what I do, I can't seem to ever get the amount down.

Egg whites, cottage cheese, chicken, even edamame, somtimes jerky...any other suggestions of high protein foods? I tend to avoid protein bars since many of them are full of sugars and other nasty stuff.
    I recently learned that the protein amount really only needs to be for LEAN body mass...not overall weight. For example...I weigh 153...but my bodyfat is around 17%...so if you calculate my lean mass I would only need 127g of protein per day....a little more if I wanted to add more muscle. (153 x 17%=26.....153-26=127). Try to recalculate using this formula and you will probably find that you don't "need" that much protein. I can go over this number pretty easily which isn't a bad thing. :)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    Oh, thank you so much for this info. You're right, I'm not going over by THAT much. Here I was, thinking that I needed 1gram/lb. You are a life saver, that's for sure. Thanks so much.