Logging in Juicing accurately.......

Options
Chika_2015
Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
I bought a juicer a few months ago and have been using it every day. But i don't know how to log it accurately. 1 regular apple eaten does not equal one apple juiced, am i correct in assuming that?

Is there a chart or something that can help me or someone with some good information on the subject of logging it in.

Please and thank you
~Chika

Replies

• cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    Most of what you filter out of the fruits or vegetables is insoluble fiber. Most manufacturers don't include the caloric value of this in the total calories. You will lose some of the actual "meat" of the fruits and veggies but it's not possible to accurately calculate how much with any instrument you would have at home. Most of the calories in fruits and veggies come from the sugars and you get almost all of them.

The safest way to go about it is to just add in the entire fruit added. I wouldn't bother to add the veggies. They are so low cal anyway, especially kale and other greens.

Hope this helps.
  • penguin828
    Options
    I'm returning to this site after a 6 month absence.. I've decided to get myself back on track and have decided to try juicing. I'm curious as to how you incorporated the juicing into your food diary?
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have been able to find a few veggie juice calories on some websites, but it is so hard to find good info on this. I would guess 60-100 calories per 8oz glass. For logging, I would estimate 90 to be on the safe side...
  • stipto
    stipto Posts: 1
    Options
    I had a 32 oz. juice lunch and logged it under an existing category. Hello! 1300 calories?!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Word on the street is (judging from personal research as a fellow juicer) you put the calories for every bit of whole fruit and vegetable that you juice.

At least that's what I will be doing. Which I'm fine with since the health benefits of juicing override my personal concern for caloric value anyway.

P.S. Here you go maybe this will help (look for the ones that say "raw")

http://calorielab.com/foods/fruit-juice/33
  • Kattamer81
    Options
    I juice every day for breakfast. When logging in your food, type in "Juicer" and whatever you put in....

ex: Juicer Kale

and a whole list will come up. That's what I do, anyways. I'm not eating the whole fruit/veg so I don't log the whole fruit/veg...just the juice.

Good luck!
  • angelcop74
    angelcop74 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I log all the fruits and veg and amounts i use in my juice. I dont know if thats "right" but i figure what im drinking is probably a little lower than if i ate them all, so it works out fine for me. At least this way i know i wont over eat.
  • EdwarddeVere
    Options
    Add up all the calories into one sum, divide it into servings, divide the lump sum by amount and of servings.

3000 calories total

Divided into 4 equal servings

3000 ÷ 4 = 750

Thus, 750 calories per drink.

If that is too high, then increase the servings.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I had a 32 oz. juice lunch and logged it under an existing category. Hello! 1300 calories?!
    More like 400 calories on the high end.
  • Topher1978
    Options

P.S. Here you go maybe this will help (look for the ones that say "raw")

http://calorielab.com/foods/fruit-juice/33

Thanks for this site!
    When logging in your food, type in "Juicer" and whatever you put in....

ex: Juicer Kale

and a whole list will come up. That's what I do, anyways. I'm not eating the whole fruit/veg so I don't log the whole fruit/veg...just the juice.

I wish I had known this. You rock!!
  • penguin828
    Options
    Thanks everyone!