Is it normal, or what?

So, I understand that weight can take major highs or even lows as a result of water weight, etc...

I weigh myself multiple times a day just to see how certain foods are effecting what shows up on the scales and whatnot..
On a normal day, towards the late hours [ now ], I usually weight in at about 236lbs, but tonight it shows 240..

Weighing myself in the mornings almost always shows 232. [ What i believe is my actual weight ].

This 240 seems a bit high though and on top of that, I went up an inch in my waist but down an inch on my hips.

Another thing to take note of, is that I am doing the Stronglift program while I try to lose weight..
So my question is, do you all think this is just water weight, muscle, or am I maybe gaining fat?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    I read somewhere that as the day goes on, gravity and food pull on us a bit more, thus making us slightly heavier than when we wake up. Also you tend to swell a bit with activity (I'm thinking of my feet after a day of work), which could tilt the scale.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,363 Member
    I think you are getting on the scale way too much. Stop it.
  • Benphi91
    Benphi91 Posts: 31 Member
    Weigh yourself once a week, in the morning before you eat.

Weighing yourself multiple times a day is dumb.
  • Weigh yourself once a week, in the morning before you eat.

You're basically calling me dumb.. Arn't you helpful?
  • gennafer731
    gennafer731 Posts: 27 Member
    I do the same thing, I weight myself all through the day. It doesn't bother me and if it doesn't bother you it's fine. Some people freak out so they should stick to once a week. To address your question it is perfectly normal. By the end of the day I usually weight 5-7 lbs more than I did that morning and it resets the next day. If your belly is a bit bigger I would say you are bloated or retaining water, this is usually a result of not drinking enough water and/or eatting extra sodium and/or a super sweaty workout. And to be indelicate you might need to poop soon ;p. Drink a lot of water and it should help out with either problem.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    You are lifting, the scale is a dirty liar.

try not to get on the scale after you weigh in the morning.

also consider the mirror, and keep taking measurements
  • I do the same thing, I weight myself all through the day. It doesn't bother me and if it doesn't bother you it's fine. Some people freak out so they should stick to once a week. To address your question it is perfectly normal. By the end of the day I usually weight 5-7 lbs more than I did that morning and it resets the next day. If your belly is a bit bigger I would say you are bloated or retaining water, this is usually a result of not drinking enough water and/or eatting extra sodium and/or a super sweaty workout. And to be indelicate you might need to poop soon ;p. Drink a lot of water and it should help out with either problem.

See? I didn't know about the bloating from the salt, which is more than likely the case cause I was 1,000 over on that today.
    Weighing myself multiple times a day doesn't bother me because I can see my progress in the long run anyways...
    Thanks for the friendly response. Very helpful!
  • xe4uud.jpg:flowerforyou:
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member

Agreed, how rude.

I weigh myself at least six times a day - sometimes more, depending on how much I go toilet and drink. And I ALWAYS weigh myself after dinner. It's essential.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member

No, they called what you're doing dumb, not you.

Weigh yourself once a week, in the morning. In fact they were very helpful.
  • alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    I only weigh myself once a week and always in the morning to get an accurate reading. There have been a few times when I weighed myself mid-week or later the same day and was disappointed. It is tempting but a let-down. Stick to once a week and you will see your true weight. Good luck.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    You're going to drive yourself nuts! BUT, It's normal, yeah. I've gone up 8 pounds in a day, but I know logically there's no way I could have actually done that with what I have done, or eaten that day. Water, salt, bowel movements are all a big part of it! You may need to poop, or just ate too much salt. No big.

Actually, he did.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member

Actually, he did.

*headdesk*

Good Luck man...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

I disagree. Weighing morning and night for a while DAILY is a fine way to see fluctuations. Oh, wait, the OP just posted about his fluctuations!

OP: I always weigh daily, and yeah, have weighed a few times after workouts or after meals just to see.
    I have a friend that I ride bikes with. After a 30 mile run he's ALWAYS 3-5 pounds "lighter" and I'm always 2-4 pounds "heavier". As long as you keep the changes in perspective, there's no harm in it.

FWIW: I "weigh in" on sunday mornings.

I disagree. Weighing morning and night for a while DAILY is a fine way to see fluctuations. Oh, wait, the OP just posted about his fluctuations!

OP: I always weigh daily, and yeah, have weighed a few times after workouts or after meals just to see.
    I have a friend that I ride bikes with. After a 30 mile run he's ALWAYS 3-5 pounds "lighter" and I'm always 2-4 pounds "heavier". As long as you keep the changes in perspective, there's no harm in it.

FWIW: I "weigh in" on sunday mornings.

It's things like this that will forever remain a mystery. Thanks for sharing! :)
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    If it went up over one day, it can't be muscle or fat. This article http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part.html gives a lot of info on water retention.

I'd like to weigh myself once a day just to see what affects my water household. In the past I used creatine for a short while, which made me gain 10 pounds in just 3 weeks - but it was only water. After I stopped I lost 12 pounds within another 3 weeks.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member

Agreed, how rude.

I weigh myself at least six times a day - sometimes more, depending on how much I go toilet and drink. And I ALWAYS weigh myself after dinner. It's essential.

I see what you did there.
  • StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    Less caring = more joy

/thread
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

Did he, didn't he, it doesn't really matter. His posting style is generally abrupt, bordering on rude. And not very helpful.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Stop getting on the scale so much. Once a day at most if you're like me and like to make nerdy charts and graphs. Same time and under the same conditions. Also remember that 1 Lb fat = 3,500 calories...so unless you're really screwing your logged calories up in a major way, I can assure you that you're not even gaining 1 Lb of fat in a day.

Water weight can be considerable, particularly if you are lifting. I had a really intense session on Saturday and yesterday I was 5 Lbs heavier than I was on Friday for my official weigh in. It's water...I know because my muscles were pretty sore and they're still a bit sore today, tough I was down 1.5 Lbs from yesterday.

Also, watch your sodium and in particular your balance of sodium to potassium...potassium should be more. 2,000 or so sodium:4,700mg potassium. The more sodium you have, the more important it is to try to hit that potassium number. Also, lots and lots of water...I drink well over my 8 glasses per day to flush out the sodium and give my muscles plenty to work with for repair. The more water you drink, the less your body will need to retain.

Further, keep in mind that on average, one consumes roughly 5 Lbs of food or more per day...plus a few pounds of liquids to boot....you're going to have fluctuations attributable to this stuff coming in and accumulated waste until it comes out.