Elliptical Question...

Options
I have always loved using the ellipticals at the gym. I haven't had a gym membership for a while and am now purchasing my own elliptical. I have been using at home work out dvds and running and it's all taking its toll on my knees and such. Anyways I want to see if anyone who regularly uses an elliptical gets a thorough cardio workout. I don't want to be doing something that isn't effective. Any advice??

Replies

• PennStan
    PennStan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes, good cardio as long as you set the resistance high enough and maintain a good cadence. I use an elliptical 3 days per week.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I LOVE using an elliptical. I do it about 2-3 times a week.
    good workout in my opinion
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I run regularly, I have a really hard time keeping my heart rate up even in the areobic zone on the eliptical

If I have to work indoors I go with a crossramp / treadmill where I can keep my heart rate up high enough
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    have you considered a road bike instead? I love my bike 10000% more than the elliptical
  • Nicki_101
    Nicki_101 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical, and it has saved me a bundle on gym fees. If you using 3 times weekly, be sure to service regularly (once a month) to prevent little things from wearing and starting to break. I prefer elliptical interval training. Go on line where there are a number of different routines to keep you from getting bored.
  • grimcosgirl
    Options
    i love the elliptical. if u get one, get one with the arms as part of it, it will help u move more. the faster you go, the better cardio you will get. if you have a problem with your knees (as I do) you can keep the resistance lower. some ellipticals also allow you to alter the crossramp and make the incline more, those are nice.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I have one at home and I find I have to put the level up to like 10 to get a real burn. (It only goes to 16). At the gym though I can feel a work out at about 5-7. I think it depends on the machine.