Grapefruit?

Options
thendrick
thendrick Posts: 102 Member
Dr. Oz said that grapefruit (all citrus, actually) is a great fat burner.
Do you think the fat burning benefits of grapefruit juice would outweight the caloric intake of grapefruit juice?
I looked at 2 kinds today - regular grapefruit juice for 150 cal per cup and a low cal grapefruit cocktail for 40 cal per cup.
Which would be better? The real juice at full cals or the cocktail at 40?

Replies

• HOPEful27
    HOPEful27 Posts: 56
    Options
    I would eat a grapefruit and skip the juice.
  • jolene1
    jolene1 Posts: 28
    Options
    i think it's better to eat the fruit than drink the fruit!!
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    Can't answer your question, because I use lemon as my citrus (fat burner) and squeeze the juice of a lemon into my daily pitcher of tea.

An aside: My husband and I were discussing citrus the other day... maybe someone reading your post might know about this and email me - my husband and I think that some medicines say "don't have grapefruit while taking this medicine", and we were wondering if there's a difference in citrus. Why doesn't it say "don't have citrus"? Or are we mistaken?
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat the fruit as you loose most the fiber when it is switched to juice and they usually add sugar.
  • MommyofLily
    MommyofLily Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Juice is processed, the actual fruit is so much better for you. And if you had to choose between juices, the cocktail will be less benefit, you want 100% juice, and cocktails are often less than that.

And to amk44, you're right, there is something in grapefruit specifically that can interact with lots of medicines.

From mayoclinic.com:

Grapefruit juice provides many nutrients, including vitamin C, potassium and lycopene. But chemicals in grapefruit juice and grapefruit pulp interfere with the enzymes that break down (metabolize) various drugs in the digestive system — including certain calcium channel blockers and cholesterol-lowering drugs. The result can be excessively high levels of these drugs in the blood and an increased risk of potentially serious side effects. Pomelos and Seville oranges, a type of bitter orange often used to make marmalade and compotes, may have a similar effect.
  • elizamary77
    elizamary77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree with the eating the actual fruit vs. the juice.
  • amtrust
    amtrust Posts: 178
    Options
    discussing citrus the other day... some medicines say "don't have grapefruit while taking this medicine", and we were wondering if there's a difference in citrus. Why doesn't it say "don't have citrus"? Or are we mistaken?

My husband has a med that's this way....it's not any citrus, so I'm not sure what it is in the grapefruit that's not good. My husband doesn't care for grapefruit anyway, though (I do....love it!)
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Eating the fruit is a lot healthier for you. I stay away from juices of all kinds unless you squeeze it yourself from the fruit.
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    Thx rachiebblue for the info regarding grapefruit and medicines... that's really interesting. I'll share the info with my husband.
  • MrsSeaShell
    Options
    discussing citrus the other day... some medicines say "don't have grapefruit while taking this medicine", and we were wondering if there's a difference in citrus. Why doesn't it say "don't have citrus"? Or are we mistaken?

My husband has a med that's this way....it's not any citrus, so I'm not sure what it is in the grapefruit that's not good. My husband doesn't care for grapefruit anyway, though (I do....love it!)

It's not that grapefruit is bad, , it just dissolves certain drugs faster, so your typical time release BP meds at the same time as grapefruit= VERY BAD