About to give up. Will I be this size forever? :-(

Options
1235»

Replies

• bethiepoo30
    Options
    I stalled out after losing 60 or 70 pounds...for a little over a year. Then, I went to a low-carb plan. In the first month of low carb, I lost 14 pounds! I've been low-carb for 17 months now and I've lost a total of 123 pounds. You might consider it. I tried a little bit of everything when I was trying to break the plateau.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at the same weight forever until i really watched carb/sugar intake...that includes fruit/natural...works just the same. That made all the difference. For a month I cut out dairy and non-veggie carbs. This kept my carbs around 100g a day and sugars in the green. Scale started moving for the first time in 3 years. Seriously. My body was burning the carbs/sugars before it got to the fat. I now have dairy again...and I'm not on Adkins or anything...but I seriously watch the starches and for exception of a treat here/there...keep my sugars in the green. I'd try it. You may see a lot of success!
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks! That is so hard for me to do but worth a shot.
    remove dairy for two weeks and see what happens.

it's likely one of two things: taking in too many calories for your expenditure or an underlying health issue.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    you're eating quite a bit of processed food = not healthy.

maybe you should change your workouts. change your intensity. (i.e. a level 5 on most ellipticals is not that hard -- a level 9-10 is my minimum/warm up level if I get on an elliptical)
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    As previously stated, I have increased my calories, reduced them, changed my routine and even did the zig zag calorie thing over the last year. Durning November and December I went back to maintainence trying to let my system reset. Then began again first of the year. Havent lost a thing yet. I do eat my exercise calories back. 1500 is only if I don't exercise.
    LOG LOG LOG ..... its impossible to accurately diagnose a problem from your diary if you dont use it.

Also 1500 may be too low particularly if you are exercising as much as you say. Try eating more.

Also I found that weight loss stalled when my body got used to routine ..... change up your exercise ....eat some spike days.
    How long are you sticking with it each time you try something different? With how much you've tried over the past year, I doubt you've stuck it out with many of them for 3+ months to give your body time to adjust?
  • JVCB
    JVCB Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    One thing I noticed when I looked at your Diary entry for today was that the calorie counts for some of the foods that we BOTH eat (like Cutie Clementines) were different. I eat one Cutie for 40 calories, you had two Cuties for 50 calories (or was it 60?). In any case, you might want to check the items in your personal Food Database for accuracy.
    Also, are you really having 10 teaspoons of coffee creamer in the morning? That one baffled me, although perhaps you're drinking lots of coffee... I've heard that coffee can stall out your metabolism, too...

In any case, don't give up! You can tell by all of the comments you've gotten that we've all been through weight loss stalls, and we know how you feel. Be brave! :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart. I think I would feel the same way. Have you made any physical fitness strides or are you stuck there no improvement in cardiovascular or muscular strength?

Are you taking any meds for your hypothyroid looks like you were diagnosed many years ago?
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    don't give up! I would suggest upping the weights at the gym though. The more muscle you build, the more fat you burn. You may not lose weight quickly, but you should notice a change in body shape xxx
  • jennifermartini
    jennifermartini Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Any chance you have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome?
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Only if you give up! Kick *kitten* and prove yourself wrong!
  • kramalicious
    Options
    65 pounds is HUGE! Appreciate what you have done.
    After you get checked out by a doctor and confirm there's nothing physically holding you back, you need to log every bite, and change up your exercise. Your body adapts to exercise, so find something else to do that you haven't tried yet.
    My husband started biking to work and the pounds are falling off.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Everyone is making all these suggestions but they are things I've already tried before. I've been to the doctor, I've made these changes. I wait 30-60 days before I'll try something else. One thing I haven't tried is low carb because my dietician says they are needed for the amount of working out I'm doing.

Sometimes I eat 2 cuties, sometimes I eat 3. That may be the difference you see. Yes, I have 2 cups of coffee a day so the creamer is correct. However, I only started drinking coffee in the last 2 months maybe. Never drunk it before.
    One thing I noticed when I looked at your Diary entry for today was that the calorie counts for some of the foods that we BOTH eat (like Cutie Clementines) were different. I eat one Cutie for 40 calories, you had two Cuties for 50 calories (or was it 60?). In any case, you might want to check the items in your personal Food Database for accuracy.
    Also, are you really having 10 teaspoons of coffee creamer in the morning? That one baffled me, although perhaps you're drinking lots of coffee... I've heard that coffee can stall out your metabolism, too...

In any case, don't give up! You can tell by all of the comments you've gotten that we've all been through weight loss stalls, and we know how you feel. Be brave! :)
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It's simple, you are eating WAY below your BMR - not good!! Nobody should ever eat below their BMR.
    for loss, above BMR and below TDEE!
  • Imgoing2makeit
    Options
    I can't give any advice but I empathize. Im going through the same thing. I've learned plenty from reading this thread. Though I have not had success yet I would suggest you monitor your carb and sodium intake. Switch up workout routines and resistance training is a must! You were consistently successful before. You have plateaued because your body has gotten used to your methods or you have an underlying health issue. With doctors these days you have to find one that actually listens to your concerns. The more research you do on your specific issue makes you a more informed consumer. The medical field makes money by making you continuously come in while not truly addressing specifics. Most are in it for the money plain and simple. I've found more help on this site than from doctors. I wish you luck!
  • ghsmindy
    ghsmindy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, you have lost 65 lbs? You are my hero! I have only lost 4 so far.

Have you ever had your thyroid checked by your doctor? When I first started a "diet", about 5 years ago, I worked out incessantly and managed portions and foods but only lost 5 lbs. After 6 months my doctor picked up, at my checkup, that my thyroid was a little low. He didn't think it was enough to make much difference but put me on the lowest dose thyroid replacement. My thin hair improved, and I lost 8 lbs in a few weeks. He said it was what I would have weighed from all that exercise and calorie-counting if my thryoid had been normal. I was happy at that weight.

Gradually my weight has crept back up,and then some, but due to lack of exercise following an injury, not thryoid. I need to lose weight to decrease joint pain. I am going back to portion control and healthier eating. 4 weeks, 4 lbs. so far.

I just took up knitting and that really helped in the evenings when I was tempted to nibble - keeps my hands busy :-)

Good luck, and thanks for the inspiration :-)
  • MamaWeil2018
    MamaWeil2018 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    No, I do not buy low fat. I do get light dressing only because I think it tastes better. I use real butter and coconut oil. I just recently changed the fat/carb/protein ratios to see if that makes a difference.

Maybe try cutting out oils too? Ratio-wise they're stupidly high in calories, maybe fill in the calories that you'd usually give to oils (even butter) with green veggies- they're super low cal and you can eat a lot more of them to feel full, plus lots of vitamins and fiber and all that good stuff :) My friend has had HUGE success with that :) Good luck!
  • Jenagain20
    Jenagain20 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try a cleanse :-) That always kick starts weight loss for me..
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Try a cleanse :-) That always kick starts weight loss for me..
    No.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    OP, I felt the same way. Over the summmer things stalled for me. I got busy and went on a break from like September to January. I was rewarded with gaining 15 back.

I went back to my "old" ways for most of January. Counting calories, exercising a few days a week. And nothing was happening.

I decided to shift my eating plan, I have decided to do the TDEE - 20%, and not bother with the whole eating exercise calorie thing (I made a pact with myself, that I could eat an extra 100-150 on exercise days). The scale has been going in the right direction for the first time in months.

I also upped my workouts a bit. And changed my plan. My target is 3 days of circuited strength training a week (~20 minutes or so) + intervals + a class + something else: sprints or long form cardio. Before I just did mostly strength training, not in a circuit. Before I only did 1-2 extra hard workouts a week. Now I am shooting for 4.

Good luck!
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I hate to spend money but if a fitbit zip can help u track pretty close to you actual calorie burn for each day. Take off 500 cal and approx 1 lb/wk. 90% of folks aren't eating close to what they should be. Thats why a pedometer on steroids is a nice tool..$60 doesn't seem like much to me for health. Dont quit..you've come so far.