Anyone doing the HCG diet?

Options
I am Mandy and I did the HCG diet last year with great success and I am at it again a year later because I had a baby after that. Is anyone else doing this? I would like to just talk back and forth with others who have done it or who are doing it now.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Pretty much a prohibited topic on this site. Sorry.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    No
    It's not healthy
    Don't do it.
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/an02091
    Question
    HCG diet: Is it safe and effective?
    Does the HCG diet work — and is it safe?
    Answer
    from Jennifer K. Nelson, R.D., L.D.

No on both counts. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has advised consumers to steer clear of over-the-counter weight-loss products that contain HCG.

HCG is human chorionic gonadotropin, a hormone produced during pregnancy. As a prescription medication, HCG is used mainly to treat fertility issues. HCG is not approved for over-the-counter use, nor has it been proved to work for weight loss. Companies that sell over-the-counter HCG weight-loss products are breaking the law.

So why has there been so much talk about the HCG diet? Perhaps it's because the diet recommends severe calorie restriction — typically just 500 to 800 calories a day. People who follow such a very low calorie diet are likely to lose weight, at least in the short term. However, that level of calorie restriction has risks, such as gallstone formation, irregular heartbeat, and an imbalance of the electrolytes that keep the body's muscles and nerves functioning properly.

If weight loss is your goal, there are safer ways to lose weight. Talk with your doctor or other health care provider about how to make healthy changes that lead to permanent weight loss, such as eating a balanced diet and getting regular exercise.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    As healthy, and maintainable as some drops, and 500 calories a day seem...

No, never would I ever.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    you would be back at it again, even if you hadn't had a baby. TRUST ME. Lose fat the slow, healthy way, that way it will stay off.
  • KeepJoJoPushin
    Options
    Heck no...absolutely not healthy.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Yeah....no.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    For the love of freaking donuts. DO NOT DO IT. MFP gives you all the tools you need. Jiminiy Christmas people.
  • MrsDevor
    Options
    This scares me. A bunch of people at my work are taking HCG pills. I got some too. We are doing biggest loser at work. I hear Everything you are all saying but.... Does it mess up your fertility!?? That's crazy! :-/ maybe I should stop..... ???? I really really want this push in weight loss tho :-( it's so hard!!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

If you review the guidelines, you'll see that number 3 pretty much bans ultra low calorie diets. I believe they are currently review HCG and we're waiting to see what they say. I think there is an HCG group but why would you do something that could harm your body when you could just eat right - eat a decent amount of calories - and enjoy your foods? It took my 6 months but I lost 30 just following the guidelines and watching what I ate by keeping a diary. I also learned to cook healthier and I've lost weight. There's no need for this type of diet. Either way, the drugs are illegal for it.
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    This scares me. A bunch of people at my work are taking HCG pills. I got some too. We are doing biggest loser at work. I hear Everything you are all saying but.... Does it mess up your fertility!?? That's crazy! :-/ maybe I should stop..... ???? I really really want this push in weight loss tho :-( it's so hard!!

It's pregnant lady pee
    It's illegal

Eat less
    Move more

Do it the right way, or it will all come right back on...
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm281333.htm

Here's the FDA's website - pretty much states to dump them and not go there. It's pretty clear about it being illegal. I'd be worried if you bought something from online - who knows what's in that stuff.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/health/HCG--Popular-Diet-Now-Faces-Legal-Controversy-139739033.html

Additional article about it....shows the only reason it's not totally gone is manpower but they're slowly going after people who sell/advertise it for weight loss.

Monica
  • missability
    Options
    I had a friend that worked in research at MIT, Cambridge. She was going on and on about this diet aid called HCG. I don't think it was anything going on at MIT, I just told that part because, hey this girl, with all her degrees, was no dummy! Anywho....she started using the liquid one that says "The Official HCG" diet on the label. comes with an eye dropper. She bought me some for Christmas in 20011<<<not to subtle a hint there friend...anyway she gave me the package and when I later had a chance to look over the instructions I called her...I couldn't help but laugh...I mean it was 500 calories a day!! Excuse me I could put a dropper of bacon grease on my tongue and lose weight following that plan!!! I couldn't believe this girl with all her education and fancy job actually couldn't see the forest for the trees!!! I threw out.......
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    I had a friend that worked in research at MIT, Cambridge. She was going on and on about this diet aid called HCG. I don't think it was anything going on at MIT, I just told that part because, hey this girl, with all her degrees, was no dummy! Anywho....she started using the liquid one that says "The Official HCG" diet on the label. comes with an eye dropper. She bought me some for Christmas in 20011<<<not to subtle a hint there friend...anyway she gave me the package and when I later had a chance to look over the instructions I called her...I couldn't help but laugh...I mean it was 500 calories a day!! Excuse me I could put a dropper of bacon grease on my tongue and lose weight following that plan!!! I couldn't believe this girl with all her education and fancy job actually couldn't see the forest for the trees!!! I threw out.......

There ya go.
    /thread
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Here we go again....

Same old song again....

Walking down the avenue....

Wanna get my cents in before this thread is through.
  • missjanetleigh
    missjanetleigh Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I saw this on Dr. Oz last week and it seems that he had a Dr. do a lot of research on it. I don't expect a miracle cure but if I could lose the weight a little faster and not lose as much muscle in the process I would be up for it.

Problem is here in Oregon there are no doctors that are offering it.

I guess I should have refreshed this page before answering. The show on Dr. Oz was with the shot, I don't know if it was included in the things people are saying here.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :grumble:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I saw this on Dr. Oz last week and it seems that he had a Dr. do a lot of research on it. I don't expect a miracle cure but if I could lose the weight a little faster and not lose as much muscle in the process I would be up for it.

Problem is here in Oregon there are no doctors that are offering it.

Um...because it's illegal.
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that our users follow the calorie guidelines automatically assigned by our site, unless they are under the direct supervision of a doctor. We are currently reviewing the medical literature on the HCG/500 calorie diet and reserve the right to moderate against discussions of this diet at any time in the future.

Thank you all for your concern. We're definitely looking closely at this issue.

Sincerely,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.