Help! My back burns/hurts whenever i do ab workouts!

Options
For as long as I can remember, every time I do any kind of crunches/situps/planks etc, I can't do more than a few without a burning pain in my lower back muscles. I've been neglecting my abs because I can never do them too much without encountering this issue. I don't know what to do..my buddy thinks I may just have weak back muscles, but I seem to be the only guy in the gym that can't do more than 5 situps without this pain. Strangely, the only ab exercise I can do without this issue is hanging leg raises, but my current gym doesnt have that.

Can anyone shed some insight or tell me what to do?

Thanks,

Nick

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Do you do any back exercises? Perhaps start there. Deadlifts and bent over rows would be a good start. I'd also definitely suggest you talk to your doctor.
  • gennafer731
    gennafer731 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It might be bad form. Have you tried doing crunches on a stability ball instead of the floor? Don't do sit ups because it doesn't really help your abs like crunches do.

When you do crunches look at the ceiling and just lift your shoulders off the ground towards the ceiling not towards your knees.

Try doing planks in front of a mirror to make sure you are straight. Sometimes it feels like you're straight but your but is really up in the air.

You can also do some supermans on the ball to help your back, or use the back extension equipment if your gym has it.
  • jennyjee18
    Options
    Tight hip flexors can be a factor.