Eating Workout Calories?

Options
I'm in a bit of a dilemma.
I find it hard a lot if the time to make it up to my 1230 calorie goal, and when I work out, I barely ever get into those workout calories.
I've done a bit of research and most are saying to eat back what you burn...

I just find that so hard to do. I'm afraid if I do that I'll start gaining again. Can someone have a look at my log and tell me what you think?? I never find myself hungry enough to eat that much.

Thanks a ton!!

Replies

• kitoi
    kitoi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to loose weight why would you eat the calories burned? Don't count calories burned and burn fat a bit faster.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    You need to eat them. Why make this harder than it needs to be? That's the way this site is designed to be used.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I eat back half
  • SylviaSid
    Options
    I don't know if this will help much, but my weight loss became steady when I stuck to the 1200 calories and didn't "eat" my workout calories. I don't want to work out so I can eat more, I want to work out so I can burn calories and get fit. I only use my workout calories when I have a dinner out at a nice restaurant or...for example a big meal - like Christmas. Good luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary isn't public, so can't have a look there. But yes, MFP is set up that you are already at a deficit with your daily goal without exercise figured in. Meaning if you did zero exercise, but ate to your daily calorie goal, you would lose weight. So when you log your exercise, that's why they add those calories back into your goal - they expect you to eat them - otherwise you are creating an even larger deficit which can lead to problems over time with your metabolism, and stall your weight loss.

Curious how you got to the point of needing to lose weight if you can't eat to 1230 calories? I often eat that much before dinner! :tongue:

One way to increase calories without eating junk or stuffing your face with more food is to choose more calorie dense foods throughout the day - peanut butter, nuts, avocados, olive and coconut oils, etc all pack some healthy calories into small portions, and get you to your goal.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to loose weight why would you eat the calories burned? Don't count calories burned and burn fat a bit faster.

no
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hhahahhahahha iv never ate back my calories to me i dont see the point thats why you exersize is to burn calories why do all the work and just eat them back like i dont get why people do it,, maybe it makes them feel better idk but say ur eating 1900 calories and u burn 300 u dont wanna eat them back its nuts,
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

*lose

& no.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Hhahahhahahha iv never ate back my calories to me i dont see the point thats why you exersize is to burn calories why do all the work and just eat them back like i dont get why people do it,, maybe it makes them feel better idk but say ur eating 1900 calories and u burn 300 u dont wanna eat them back its nuts,

This made my head hurt.

But it's not nuts, there are many people on here who have ate back their exercise calories and had WONDERFUL success. A lot them are my friends, good friends actually.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    No.... the workout cals are a bonus.. you pretend they dont exist. If you are trying to lose weight, otherwise you are wasting your time
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Here you go: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It's not exactly the answer but it's extremely helpful and should clear up your dilema
  • Marie33k
    Marie33k Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good question; I'm having the same problem.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    It depends on which way you go.

You can do how MFP sets it up and eat back your calories.

OR

You can do this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

And not eat them back.

Do what is easiest for you.

But if you are having issues getting in calories then eat more calorie dense foods. Saute veggies in a tablespoon of olive oil, eat nuts as snacks, etc....

Edit:
    There are some who only eat 1200 calories and then burn like 1000 calories and don't eat them back, and then swear to what they are doing. Don't be those people. Those people are WRONG.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Learn more here and read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Find out your BMR and TDEE, and eat between those numbers. Let your metabolism work for you. Don't train it to slow down by under eating.

ETA: sorry for the duplicate link, as posters above, but seriously, read this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you are using the MFP method, MFP assumes NO exercise in your activity set up...it's extra-cirricular as far as MFP is concerned. this is why many people eat to their calorie goals and do ZERO exercise and still lose weight as intended. When you do exercise, MFP expects you to eat those calories back...this is why you see the goal go up...it's a goal..something to be achieved. If you can't properly fuel your exercise, you should not do it...creating too large a deficit (when you're already at a significant one in your calorie goal) will have the opposite effect of what you intend. You will ultimately just stall out and your body will store fat rather than burn it.

There are numerous easy and healthy ways to up your calories without eating a tone of food...cook with some olive oil...instead of steaming veggies, roast them or sautee them in some delicious heart healthy olive oil. Eat some nuts...1 tiny little ounce of nuts has 160 calories...more if they happen to be roasted with oil as well. Eat half an avocado...etc, etc, etc. You just need to find those nutrient dense foods that are also calorie dense and plan them into your day, especially on exercise days. On my non exercise days, I eat roughly 1,900 calories...on exercise days, I eat between 2,200 and 2,400 calories and I've lost 25 Lbs so far (some of that before MFP but most of it since I joined up here). I'm no longer using the MFP method, but if you use the MFP method correctly you will lose.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories back. If I don't then I will binge after a few days and I would rather eat healthy consistently and lose at a slower pace rather than do this up & down, back & forth pattern.

Honestly you have to figure out what works for you. Should at least eat your minimum... with high calorie "good" food like peanut butter, avacado, bananas, protein shakes if you are having trouble doing so.

Good luck.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Then you do not understand the way MFP is set up - you are expected to eat your exercise cals back, as I explained above. But by looking at your diary, I see you've already ditched MFP's advice and set your daily goal to just 1000 calories....and there's not food or exercise logged for the two weeks I went back. 1000 calories is likely less than what a doctor would feed you if you were in a coma. :noway: And I suppose if you did exercise, you wouldn't eat the exercise cals back, so you'd be pretty much running on empty. Say good bye to your metabolism!

MFP is set up the way it is for a reason - small deficit = reasonable weight loss while fueling your body. Big deficit = possible weight loss, eventually stalling in most cases, plus a lowered metabolism, loss of muscle/lean body mass, etc, etc.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this. I do not log my exercise calories because eating them back does not work for me. I did that in January and it did not work at all!

If anything, I think you could fairly eat 1/2 back, but if you don't need to, then don't. Trial and error on yourself.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Also, it comes down to your ultimate goal. For me, the number isn't the end goal. Why would I care if I was 150 with a low body fat, or 130 and flabby with a high body fat percentage.

To see this in pictures, click here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/752778-how-wrong-i-was-600-days-of-mfp-lotsa-pics It was people like this who made me realize that I didn't want to be just a number on the scale.

So, it was a progression from focus only on eating less - to learning and understanding what my body needs and feeding it appropriately. After all, if I can eat 1800 calories a day, move the scale, and reach other goals, it is a no brainer.