Natural appetite suppressants?

Options
13»

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast. It will suck for a couple days, but will do the trick long term

Might try this, actually, I know it does work... feels horrible, though :/

I find the opposite, i.e. skipping breakfast = ravenously hungry later = more likely to overeat

natural appetite suppressant = tea, although IMO if you're that hungry you probably need to eat more protein, or more calories. In some cases it may mean you're eating too many refined carbs as you can get into a cycle of blood sugar spikes and crashes and the crashes can cause you to feel really hungry even if you've had all the calories your body needs. A little hunger is to be expected if you're eating at a deficit, but ravenous hunger is generally a sign that you're doing something wrong. So I'm going to second everyone who said food is the best appetite suppressant. Protein especially.

I agree with most of this in theory. Except, here's the kind of day I might have lately. Loads of protein. Still hungry:

Breakfast: 2-3 eggs, 1 piece good rye bread, greek yogurt, tomatoes, coffee.
    Lunch: tuna sandwich (rye bread); salad, soup.
    Dinner: 7-8 oz steak (grilled, occasionally fried in butter), 1 piece rye bread, 3 cups spinach.
    THEN: 4 slices lean turkey with mustard & a slice of low fat havarti on 1 piece rye.
    AND: 1/3 cup oatmeal with 5 prunes.
    AND: a banana and a cup of milk.
    AND: 2 tbspn hummous and 1 sliced red pepper.
    AND: 2-3 slices lean ham and rye bread.
    AND: a bowl of granola cereal (no sugar) and 2% milk. (Or maybe a cookie, I admit it, I made some cookies.)

I've just opened my diary, if anyone is bored ****less and has nothing better to do than have a poke in there. Wednesday and Thursday are incomplete, I ate ****tons more, just gave up.

there's not a lot of fat in that menu. how much fat are you aiming for each day? personally I have 40%carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat (or similar, it's more like 35/35/30 when I'm doing a cut) - I feel satisfied on that. However if I eat more carbs and less fat, I get more hungry. That's what works for me anyway, we're all different, but just suggesting it in case it works for you.

and tea. like if i've hit my calories for the day but still feel like eating, I have a herbal/fruit tea or a decaffeinated tea (can't drink caffeine after 8pm or I don't sleep) and that helps (no milk or sugar).
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options

Might try this, actually, I know it does work... feels horrible, though :/

I find the opposite, i.e. skipping breakfast = ravenously hungry later = more likely to overeat

natural appetite suppressant = tea, although IMO if you're that hungry you probably need to eat more protein, or more calories. In some cases it may mean you're eating too many refined carbs as you can get into a cycle of blood sugar spikes and crashes and the crashes can cause you to feel really hungry even if you've had all the calories your body needs. A little hunger is to be expected if you're eating at a deficit, but ravenous hunger is generally a sign that you're doing something wrong. So I'm going to second everyone who said food is the best appetite suppressant. Protein especially.

I agree with most of this in theory. Except, here's the kind of day I might have lately. Loads of protein. Still hungry:

Breakfast: 2-3 eggs, 1 piece good rye bread, greek yogurt, tomatoes, coffee.
    Lunch: tuna sandwich (rye bread); salad, soup.
    Dinner: 7-8 oz steak (grilled, occasionally fried in butter), 1 piece rye bread, 3 cups spinach.
    THEN: 4 slices lean turkey with mustard & a slice of low fat havarti on 1 piece rye.
    AND: 1/3 cup oatmeal with 5 prunes.
    AND: a banana and a cup of milk.
    AND: 2 tbspn hummous and 1 sliced red pepper.
    AND: 2-3 slices lean ham and rye bread.
    AND: a bowl of granola cereal (no sugar) and 2% milk. (Or maybe a cookie, I admit it, I made some cookies.)

I've just opened my diary, if anyone is bored ****less and has nothing better to do than have a poke in there. Wednesday and Thursday are incomplete, I ate ****tons more, just gave up.

there's not a lot of fat in that menu. how much fat are you aiming for each day? personally I have 40%carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat (or similar, it's more like 35/35/30 when I'm doing a cut) - I feel satisfied on that. However if I eat more carbs and less fat, I get more hungry. That's what works for me anyway, we're all different, but just suggesting it in case it works for you.

and tea. like if i've hit my calories for the day but still feel like eating, I have a herbal/fruit tea or a decaffeinated tea (can't drink caffeine after 8pm or I don't sleep) and that helps (no milk or sugar).

Thank you, mutahammis!

Looking at my diary, I do hit (and go over) my fat goal, but am indeed going way over on carbs. My ratios are set to be the same as yours.

I do appreciate your thoughts and advice. I wonder if swapping fat & carb ratios would help... I'll try the teas as well. Thanks again!
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Water.... Herbal Teas.... Smoking has an "oral" fixation component to the addiction, as well as the nicotine. So with it gone your looking for something else to satisfy that habit... chewing gum, pens, dry erasers... No on second thought don't do the erasers, they will stain your teeth even more :bigsmile: Seriously drinking water or teas will help, many times when you think you're hungry, your really thirsty. Also eat more protein/complex carbohydrates to combat hunger. Grats on no more smoking, nasty & expensive habit! I quit 12 years ago.
  • Donnarose82
    Options
    Water, Green Tea, Protein, healthy fats, nuts, avocado etc.
  • cboutin89
    cboutin89 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    like many people said water, green tea, fruit and/or low calorie snacks
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    low GI food. google it. have lower GI options when you do eat and you'll need to eat less often.
  • clareharris3956
    Options
    You need low calorie bulk. Eat a bowl of salad before lunch and dinner. I also have tinned grapefruit in juice.

The sour taste takes away my sugar craving.
  • slimsdown
    slimsdown Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    dr stuarts slim plus tea, made as an appetite suppressant with quality herbs in.

if your craving junk food or anything they are good as they leave an aftertaste that you realy would not want to mix food with :-)
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If It makes you feel any better I am always a food monster haha. Good job at quitting smoking!! Maybe try chewing gum, drinking water or calorie free drinks, low calorie snacks like someone else suggested, or just keeping yourself busy!! Good luck!
  • desigurl82
    desigurl82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Dont waste your money!
  • fatalis_vox
    fatalis_vox Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking a little more than a year ago, and sinve then I've gained 15 pounds that I'm trying to lose. I have similar snack cravings because nicotine was an appetite suppressant, as well as sonething I associated with being bored or stressed. I think the way my brain works is that it's associating that hand-to-mouth motion with the satisfaction of the boredom or the relief of the stress.

What I do now is I try to find 100-calorie packs of small, many-pieces snacks and I slowly eat those to satisfy both cravings. I do a lot of tea and water with lime or lemon--but I find the acidity from the citrus builds up in my stomach after a while and I need something less acidic.

My favourite is beef jerky--Tahoe Trail makes these little 100-calorie bags of tiny little pieces of beef jerky. I like that because a) it's a little harder to chew, which kind of tricks your brain into thinking that your body is eating more. b) it satisfies the psychological hand-to-mouth repetitive movement that I associate with relief. and c) It's a small amount of calories when compared to the relief and satisfaction that I get from it, and while it's got a lot of sugar and salt(like most snacks, I guess), it's also got a good amount of protein, and is full of flavor. I can spend anywhere from 10-30 minutes satisfying my snack impulse on one of those things, if I'm careful.

I also like, when I can get it, air-popped plain popcorn, but I put garlic salt or some other seasoning on it to give it that full-flavor taste that helps to curb cravings.

If you want something a little denser, I love Clif bars. Carbs and protein and chocolate chips for 240 calories? Bring it on!

The best thing I find is to budget for the snacking in my food plans. I leave about 250 for them over the course of the day, and that usually helps me a lot.

Good luck!
  • devrinator
    devrinator Posts: 79 Member
    Options

It's weird, because the common mode of advice is to make sure to EAT breakfast, yet I find when I do, I eat way too much at the end of the day. Seems weird.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Exercise.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    4 cups of steamed broccoli with a tablespoon of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder leave me feeling very full for hours and hours and I love it.