I haven't yet reached 1200 cals?

Options
So I've been trying to be healthy and at the most lose 10 pounds, nothing crazy. I'm 5'5" and 127 last time I checked. I've been recording what I eat, and have been eating healthy, but I never manage to make it to 1200 calories, or even close? Today I had 754 in an entire day, and I never starved myself, etc. I don't eat any less from when I did before I started this, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong? Also it's hard for me to eat every 2 hours or so.. I have school and we're not allowed to eat during class.

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    First make sure you're logging accurately. Are you weighing and measuring everything? Entering your own recipes?

Assuming that's accurate you really need to eat more. You diary isn't open so I can't make specific suggestions, but try adding calorie dense foods like peanut butter, avocado, full fat dairy, olive oil, etc. There's no reason to eat more often if you don't want to, although that can definitely help, but just add more calories to what you're already eating.

With so little to lose you really want to keep your calories up so as not to lose too much muscle.
  • StephMH23
    StephMH23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No.. I am just eyeing everything out because I don't own a scale, and I measure out by eye as well.
    I made my diary public if you'd like to take a look. I have missed some things before though, so if my 'Lunch' is left blank.. I did eat.. I just didn't fill it out.
    Thanks
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If you aren't at least measuring things out, you really have no idea how many calories you are eating.
  • StephMH23
    Options
    Well it's not too hard to tell what 1/2 cup, 1 cup, etc. is. I'm using mfp as a guideline.. and even so, I clearly am not close.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    If your lunch isn't filled out, there are some of your missing calories.

Although there is no need to eat every 2 hours, you are not restricted to 3 meals a day either. A quick snack after school, and something else before bed can net you another 3-400 calories (depending on what you eat).

A typical lunch time salad of mine includs a variety of veggies (cukes, tomatoes, bell peppers), either meat or cheese (or both), home made dressing with mayo and yogurt (1tbs mayo, 2 fat free greek yogurt, a whole bunch of paprika, dill, chives, and garlic poweder). Add enough cheese and meat, and you can net 400 or more for a salad (I'll usually eat cottage cheese with lunch as well. It's got a good amount of protein for it's calorie content). Just lettuce, besides being too low cal, is also not nutrient dense at all (not good for memory and concentration).

You can easily include more veggies with your supper, and fruit as snacks on the go, and after supper. Peanut butter is also nutrient dense, and calorie dense.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Well it's not too hard to tell what 1/2 cup, 1 cup, etc. is. I'm using mfp as a guideline.. and even so, I clearly am not close.

Actually, that is a very common problem, well documented in scientific studies.

In order to lose weight from an already healthy weight, you have to really refine your diet, do the math and be spot on.

Also, at your current weight, there is a good chance that a proper fitness program with weights will make you happier than losing weight. At ten pound less, you will be pushing into underweight territory, which most people don't carry well.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Well it's not too hard to tell [...]
    Yes it is.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you are at 1200. Did you put a 2lb/week loss and sedentary? If so, change it to 0.5lbs. That's a more realistic goal loss for the amount of weight you are trying to lose. And also, pick the right activity level. Picking sedentary because you think it will help you lose faster won't be the case. You are probably, at the least, lightly active.

And remember, MFP expects you to eat your exercise calories back.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844040-raspberry-ketones-for-the-rest-of-us

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/865230-resources-and-references

For those eating below their BMR (which I think 1200 is below your BMR to be honest), not going to preach at you, but here's something you might want to look at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/859495-if-only-i-had-known?page=1#posts-12919931

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.

And in regards to meeting your calorie goals, it isn't necessarily about eating "more" but definitely about eating smarter.

It's okay to include the occasional fast or junk foods - especially starting out. Having an all or nothing attitude can set you up for failure. Just know that changes can take time so don't pressure yourself to be 100% this or that. Work on just meeting your calorie goals and macros (protein, fats, and carbs).

There are foods that are high in calories that are still good for you. Foods like peanut butter, olive oil, eggs, butter (not the substitutes), avocado oil, protein powders (I use Optimum Nutrition), granola bars (like Nature Valley), protein bars, oatmeal, potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, breads/bagels, pastas, rice, cheese, milk, meats, etc. And don't do ;ow calorie condiments/snack. Ice cream is a definite okay (as long as you aren't lactose intolerant that is) :)
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I eye most things and I'm fine, but than again, I cook and stuff a lot, so I know how what most measurements look like.

You seem to not be eating enough, so like another lady said, try eating high caloric foods that pack a nutritional punch if you don't eat that often..
  • trenley
    trenley Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Once you get your food measurements down, if there's still a problem, try eating things like peanut butter and avocados to get your calories up!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Actually, that is a very common problem, well documented in scientific studies.

In order to lose weight from an already healthy weight, you have to really refine your diet, do the math and be spot on.

Also, at your current weight, there is a good chance that a proper fitness program with weights will make you happier than losing weight. At ten pound less, you will be pushing into underweight territory, which most people don't carry well.

^And this too. One of the great things I've learned by measuring everything out is a cup is no where near what I thought..lol. Measure stuff out - whether with measuring cups or scales.

And as the above said as well - include weight training into your exercise regime. And to answer you ahead of time in case you were wondering - no, you won't get bulky from weight training.
  • jcamer12
    jcamer12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you aren't at least measuring things out, you really have no idea how many calories you are eating.

this!
  • StephMH23
    Options
    Not sure why you are at 1200. Did you put a 2lb/week loss and sedentary? If so, change it to 0.5lbs. That's a more realistic goal loss for the amount of weight you are trying to lose. And also, pick the right activity level. Picking sedentary because you think it will help you lose faster won't be the case. You are probably, at the least, lightly active.

I actually have 1lb/week on sedentary. Thanks, I'll read more with the links you provided and thanks everyone else for their input.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options

I actually have 1lb/week on sedentary. Thanks, I'll read more with the links you provided and thanks everyone else for their input.

I am at your weight and 5'4 and that is what MFP had me on while I was losing.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

You can get a scale for about $15 and it's a really good investment. As you can see in this study, non-dieticians underestimated their calories by an average of 429. Even dieticians underestimated.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12396160
    In this study they compared caloric intake from 10 female registered dietitians and 10 women of comparable weight who were not dietitians and the study compared the energy intake obtained from 7-day food records with energy expenditure measured over the corresponding 7-day period using doubly labeled water.

Participants were told that the goal was to record food intake as accurately as possible, because it would be compared with the simultaneous measurement of energy expenditure determined by doubly labeled water.

Dietitians underreported their food intake by an average of 223 calories per day, while the non-dietitians underreported their intake by an average of 429 calories per day.

Your diary is still closed. If you want us to look at it you have to go into settings and make it public. But before you do that, get a scale and log accurately for a week or so.

Also all the links Joylia posted are good ones. I recommend reading them, but they aren't going to be particularly helpful until you know how much you're eating.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    There are some things that I don't bother measuring out like lettuce. Even if what I thinking a cup is actually two cups I'm only off by a few calories. Everything else I measure.

1200 shouldn't be that hard to reach. I had 700 calories left yesterday and I was full. Want to know what I did? I ate two toaster strudels and I made some French toast. You don't have to live off of salad and chicken. Eat something calorie dense. Peanut butter is great for this.