Boyfriend time = diet fail... help! :(

Options
Okay so Im in a long distance relationship atm and obviously when the guy isnt around I can stick to my diet fine and dandy.
But then I see him and when I do it's virtually 24/7 because these chances are so few and far between... Yet theyre not few and far between enough for me to let my diet go!!!
Anyway, on the one hand Im desperate to lose weight but on the other I feel like a total spoil sport when im refusing to indulge in anything and i feel kinda bad. I try to make him understand i dont care if he eats the bad stuff and that im simply not tempted by it, but i think he still feels a bit bad eating it in front of me.
How can I not let my diet suffer but also not be eating boring foods when im with him... is it possible?! any advice anyone can give? i dont mind maintaining when with him, but i dont wanna gain. he eats a lot as hes one of these people who just manage to get away with it and i think hes actually trying to gain weight so that doesnt help....!

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I would say you can eat what your boyfriend eats, but just eat LESS of it. Have a recommended serving size, so you can still enjoy the food and the time with your boyfriend, but it won't undo any of your progress.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    A lunch or a dinner is just 20-30 minutes a day, I mean I guess if you spend the rest of the time doing interesting and joyfull stuff together, why would he care that you have something else for dinner than he does?

If you ask him if he wants a fat girlfriend what does he say? :)
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    In the same boat as you. I see my fiance once a week at the most and in that time we spend the day/night together, it's hard to eat right. I usually just eat a smaller portion and log it and move on.
  • anoette
    Options
    I gained 20lbs by just not saying no to my boyfriend whenever he wanted something and I used to give in.

Either eat smaller portion sizes or just get the willpower to say no. There's nothing else to it!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Isn't it interesting how food is such an integral part of our relationships? I know a lot of my challenge is overcoming feeling guilty for being "on a diet" when my fiance is keen to eat out, or eat take out or just junk.. No real advice, as it is something I've strugged with, but now I have explained that this is important to me he is very good about being supportive (right til I indicate I'm happy to go off the rails, then he's an enabler! but that's my problem).
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Can you eat healthier at breakfast and lunch and then at dinner eat whatever he is eating, but have less, or cook something healthy together and enjoy a glass or two of wine (if you like wine?)

Can you two find an activity you like and incorporate that into your time together, even if it's just for 30-45 minutes? Even taking a walk can be nice and it gets you moving.
  • labellecanuck
    labellecanuck Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I completely empathize and struggle with a bad-influence bf! He doesn't eat regularly and when he does it's usually massive portions of "indulgent" foods like cheese, butter, wine, bread, pastries, etc.

My trick is drink a lot of water, and then encourage my bf to eat from my plate as much as possible and give him the leftovers as well.
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I know where you're coming from! When my husband and I first started dating, I gained quite a bit of weight because I ate whenever he ate -- and he ate a lot! After a while, I just learned to not eat all of his snacks. Seriously, I didn't need a grilled cheese sandwich 2-3 hours after eating dinner! Doing that helped me tremendously.

When you are with your boyfriend, don't feel like you have to eat everything he eats. However, don't constantly criticize everything he eats or say "Did you know that has ____ calories?" Also, every once in awhile you can indulge a little bit (as in, have dessert every once in a while, etc). Just fit it in with your calorie goal, or if you go a little over, just remember to stay within your goal the following day.

I also like the idea of doing something active together. My husband and I still do this, as we'll frequently take bike rides together, go for walks/hikes, rollerblade, ice skate in the winter, etc. There are so many activities you can do together that don't center around food, so take advantage of those as well!
  • jessica_1205_
    jessica_1205_ Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I only live 50 miles apart but because he works 6am to 2pm while I work 9am to 6pm, it just isn't worth one of us getting a train through to spend a grand total of two hours together!

Because of this, we only see each other once a week, when he stays over on a Saturday night. I tried to eat what he was eating when we first started seeing each other but there is a vast difference in what he eats as a 6' 2'' active guy and what I need as a 5' 4'', already-overweight girl! Now I eat clean and sensibly Monday to Friday and most of Saturday but if wants to go out for dinner when he comes through, I won't say no. I make a mindful choice and have water with my meal. Sunday is my "cheat" day, but I never overdo it. I always say that I indulge, but not overindulge!

Luckily my boyfriend is really supportive and understanding but you really just have to put your foot down about what you want for yourself.