Don't be a dirt bag, be Vitamin D Deficient!

Options
CoderGal
CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
I decided to post this up since it doesn't seem like many people have heard of it:

Vitamin D: it can be created on the skin, formed into a powder, and then absorbed. It's been mentioned on scholarly articles that this is one of the reasons why furry things lick their skin. It's also been mentioned that you can wash it off the skin. Perhaps one of the reasons that so many people are vitamin deficient is because we're to clean?

"Agnes Helmer and Cornelius Jensen published a remarkable human/animal study in 1937, showing that significant amounts of Vitamin D are made on the surface of human skin. Reverend Jensen, the senior author, was a professor of biophysics as St. Thomas Aquinas, the precursor of the University of Dayton. The authors collected surface oils from young men before showering, irradiated the oils, and showed those oils contained large amounts of Vitamin D, enough to cure rickets in animals. Then, they tested a very practical question; can those oils be removed by washing? Indeed they found washing, even with plain water, removed much of the Vitamin D from the surface of human skin."
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/news-archive/2009/showering-after-sunbathing/

Vitamin D metabolism - http://adc.bmj.com/content/48/1/2.full.pdf <-haven't read through all of it but it seems interesting

And remember, Vitamin D is fat soluble, eat fat, it's not evil.

Thoughts?

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I still prefer showering.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I got bloodwork done recently and the doctor said the only abnormal thing was that I had one of the highest levels of Vitamin D they'd ever seen. I was excited but now I guess I'm just gross :laugh:
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Pretty interesting...still, I'd rather shower and just take supplements :tongue:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,033 Member
    Options
    perv.gif Sooooo, I can lick you, then? 4

I live in the PNW, I'm deficient.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I got bloodwork done recently and the doctor said the only abnormal thing was that I had one of the highest levels of Vitamin D they'd ever seen. I was excited but now I guess I'm just gross :laugh:
    Guess the D stands for dirt. LOL
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,033 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what 4 is.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I find it very interesting .. Hmmm.. but does the skin absorb the Vitamin D after a while if we don't shower. (not recommending we run around au naturel like that)

I know that we absorb Vitamin D from sunlight .. so wondering if that has anything to do with it too? Beach bums and bunnies must be loaded with it.. or?
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I find it very interesting .. Hmmm.. but does the skin absorb the Vitamin D after a while if we don't shower. (not recommending we run around au naturel like that)

I know that we absorb Vitamin D from sunlight .. so wondering if that has anything to do with it too? Beach bums and bunnies must be loaded with it.. or?
    I guess that depends on other things like magnesium intake *queues morebean for more info*
  • CoderGal
    Options
    LOL!!
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I have no idea what 4 is.
    Its my favorite number :p
  • CoderGal
    Options
    perv.gif Sooooo, I can lick you, then? 4

I live in the PNW, I'm deficient.
    Sorry I'm busy licking things myself :wink: