What could I drink?

Options
My doctor said I am not allowed to drink any type of Tea anymore because it has something in it that makes Kidney stones (3 stones by the age of 20). But I'm sick (head cold) and all I what I want is some tea with honey. But since I can not drink tea what is the next drink of choice for being sick?? I also can not have a lot of chocolate and dairy is limited to 2 servings a day so no hot chocolate and certain other drinks.

So my question: What is something good to drink for being sick that is not tea? or hot coco?

Replies

• squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hot water with lemon and a bit of honey?

Edited to add: are all teas out of the question? Tea like Rooibos and chamomile don't actually contain any "tea". Rooibos is from the legume family, chamomile is just an herb. There are lots of other herbal "teas" out there that don't actually contain any tea. I love anything with rosehips.
  • leska1216
    Options
    Hot water with lemon and a bit of honey?

And cinnamon. Have a cough? Add heaping tablespoon of basil. And a favourite of mine: hot pepper flakes. Makes a great drink. And basil will stop a cough for 4 hrs or more.

Feel better soon.
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Did you ask your Dr. if it was the caffeine in tea or the sugar that causes kidney stones?
  • Shabadu
    Shabadu Posts: 211
    Options
    Did you ask your Dr. if it was the caffeine in tea or the sugar that causes kidney stones?

Why would it have to be caffeine or sugar? Couldn't it be the tea leaves themselves?
    I'm no expert but what made you select those 2 things?

Also if it was caffeine or sugar, I'm certain the Dr. would have specified a lot more things than just tea.

EDIT: I am fully aware that tea contains caffeine, my question was what made someone pick that out as a cause, when the Dr. specified tea as the cause. Surely he/she would have also mentioned coffee, chocolate, coca cola, etc.
    Perhaps the Dr. DID say caffeine was the cause, and tea was simply the thing the patient was drinking a lot of which contained it. But to say "Did the Dr. say it was the caffeine or the sugar" is a moot question, it's like saying "wow that car crashed, was it drink driving or speeding that caused it?" when clearly there are many other scenarios.
    *sigh* rant over.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why not herbal teas? these are made from dried herbs and fruits, not tea leaves so technically they arent tea.

ginger "tea" is pretty good. plus ginger is good for colds.

get well soon!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Why would it have to be caffeine or sugar? Couldn't it be the tea leaves themselves?
    I'm no expert but what made you select those 2 things?

Also if it was caffeine or sugar, I'm certain the Dr. would have specified a lot more things than just tea.
    tea leaves have caffeine in them.. unless you go with a red tea which technically isnt a tea anyway since it's a root.

i also forgot to say that lemongrass makes a good infusion as well. it's pretty good with ginger and honey as well
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    decaf coffee, hot chocolate, warmed up fruit juice
  • katstuff11
    katstuff11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well my grandma would say good old Hot water with lemon.. and if you are really congested add a little Jack Daniels...
    but she is 96 and that has worked for her .. the only time she has a drink is when she is sick
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Especially when I have a cold, I love 1TBS of Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 TBS Honey and hot water :)
  • gibbygibb
    Options
    Maybe some chicken broth?
  • caseypaige84
    caseypaige84 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    How about some hot apple cider?
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid it was lemon, honey and hot water. Some times vinegar, honey and hot water. Who knows what my mom was thinking, but it always seemed to help.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    I used to be obsessed with crystal light made with hot water.... mmmmm
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Add some sliced ginger and freshly squeezed lemon juice into a mug and add some hot water. Let it infuse for at least 5 minutes. Strain the ginger.

Add honey if you want :-)

Enjoy!

I would cry if I couldn't have tea.
  • neonemesis
    neonemesis Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    they always seem to state green tea as a great tea to drink if your to drink any. this article was interesting maybe ask your doctor

http://blogs.webmd.com/healthy-recipe-doctor/2008/06/tea-and-kidney-stones.html
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Three things that you might consider. Basil tea, yes I said tea. Simply boil the herb with some water and add your honey. Anise also works, it is like licorice. Second the vinegar and honey is good or you can use juice in it.

Last if you are getting kidney stones yoou may want to look into the stone breaker tea. I know several people who were getting them regularly, even having to go in for surgery. They tried that and it worked. Look it up.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    A nice hot tody... Jack Daniels, honey and lemon... Voila!