Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Ideas

Options
boomer0688
boomer0688 Posts: 53 Member
Hello,
I am trying to fit more fresh fruit and vegetables into my diet and am in need of some new ideas. I am up for almost any variety of fruits and vegtables...I love most of them. I would like snack ideas or lunch\dinner recipies.

Thanks all!!

Replies

• 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to do with fresh veggies is to crank the oven up to 425, toss a variety of them in a little bit of olive oil, salt, pepper or other spices (Lemon Pepper is my favorite on asparagus), and then roast them for about 15 minutes...stir around after about 5 minutes. Super easy, super yummy! My husband's favorite way to eat green beans!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    1 cup skim/almond/soy/rice milk (whichever one floats your boat)
    1 cup frozen fruit

destroy in blender! MWAHAHAHA.

Top with optional dollop of whip cream. Enjoy :)
  • raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    lately, i have been mixing:

--unsweetened cocoa powder
    --some splenda/agave/honey/sugar/etc etc
    --water

to make a chocolate drizzle, into which i can dip oranges, apple slices, and BANANAS!
    best dessert ever and if you use a fake sugar is like 15 cals max.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Keep your veggies and fruits on your fridge shelf instead of the crisper so you SEE them, and make the right decision!! :flowerforyou:

I keep avocado in a fruit dish on my counter, so I always have a fresh treat - scoop out, serve with a dash of salt & pepper, or mash up with a little lime juice, salt and pepper... delish!:glasses:

I like to buy the extra large variety of strawberries, washed and on the top shelf of my fridge... mmm with a little vanilla greek yogurt:heart:

On another thread, someone recommended freezing bananas, and blending them with a little chocolate protein powder. I haven't done it yet, but I did add a frozen banana to my protein shake Sunday, tasted more like a chocolate banana almond shake (I use almond milk - soy doesn't agree with me).
  • boomer0688
    boomer0688 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas guys! Keep them coming! I am really looking for a fun way to add more fruit and veggies into my snacks.
  • Sillybunni
    Sillybunni Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Raw zucchini, cucumber, carrot- whatever you like dipped in spinach hummus.

Fruit smoothies with skim milk and store bought frozen fruit.

Sliced veggies and cubed sweet potato tossed in olive oil and whatever spices you like first then roasted. I like to add a dash of red crushed pepper- the kick goes nice with the sweet potato.

Veggie wraps with said hummus dip and veggies, add some lettuce and tomato.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    this was my "afternoon pick-me-up mini meal" yesterday: a plain rice cake spread with fruit preserves and WW cream cheese and topped with sliced kiwi and strawberries. and celery sticks with laughing cow garlic&herb cheese spread on top.

my other suggestions are cut up fresh fruit into bite size pieces and put in tupperware in your fridge for easy access. if you're running around or raiding the fridge in hunger, you can just pop open the container and eat it directly (even right out of the fridge if you want :laugh: ) i like to put combinations of fruits in my containers so i can eat it plain like a fruit salad or as a topping for various things. my favorite combinations are strawberries& blueberries and cantaloupe& honey dew. you can also do a bunch of things together like berries, kiwi, grapes, pineapple and melon to make a cool summer snack :love:

This pre-made salad idea also works for veggies. just clean and chop up whatever combination you like, store in containers in the fridge, and when you need a snack, break out the container and some low-fat dip.
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I second cutting up your fruit and veggies for easy access!! When I get home from the grocery store I always take a few minutes to chop all my fresh produce and put it in containers for easy access. I find that way I am more inclined to pick fruits/veggies for a snack than going with something that is quick and not as healthy.

For veggies, I like to take a mixture of onions, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, etc. and toss it with either balsamic vinaigrette or some olive oil and spices and cook them in the oven or on the grill. It makes for a perfect side dish or they are good in a wrap with some goat cheese, laughing cow cheese or whatever else you like. And for a veggie snack I like to dip whatever veggies I have on hand into hummus - yummy, filling and low cals.

For fruit, I like to buy bananas since they are so easy to eat on the run. Or, I enjoy an apple with either peanut butter or almond butter. I bought a kitchen contraption that cuts apples in slices and removes the core (it looks like this http://www.amazon.com/MIU-Apple-Cutter-and-Corer/dp/B0009VEOEI but you can get them cheaper at Wal-Mart). Anyway, I find I eat more apples ever since buying this item.
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i love okra in a curry i use
    3-5 sprays of spray light 1 cal a spray oil
    1 medium onion 1 medium tomato fry with a teaspoon of your favourite spice mix ( i use a chana masala mix available in asian food shops or some supermarkets and if you like it spicy you could use more)
    when onions softened and tomato looks like its vanished i added whole baby okras usually i add maybe 300g somedays more if i have lots just with tops cut off and a couple tablespoons water and cook until soft i eat as a ttime meal with a pitta,tortilla or chappatti and it works out around 200 calories for the curry and varies on the pitta etc
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    For recipes filled with fruit and veg, try www.gofor2and5.com.au
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Fruits - I like to do fruit with breakfast - banana with cereal or whatever, avocado on my sandwich and then an orange and string cheese or a green apple w/ natural PB for an afternoon snack.

Veggies - I try to put a couple veggies on my sandwiches or if it's a hot meal, just protein and a veggie, possibly a starch/carb. Sometimes I like doing carrots with hummus or fat free ranch for an afternoon snack, and always eat either a vegetable medley with a protein for dinner, or a specific veggie (usually green: asparagus, broccoli, green beans, or a three pepper blend of red, yellow, and green bell peppers and onions).

I've been getting in 4 or 5 servings of fruit & veggies (combined - not sure if it's supposed to be of each?) per day the last couple weeks doing this. Feel free to check my diary... I know my meals aren't anything fancy but I love food and this is what tastes good.
  • vanessaxlynne
    Options
    You can grate some apple in oatmeal with some cinnamon. Crush a banana in homemade waffle/pancake recipe (my fav) chop some cilantro mango strawberries mix with oj balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar and some lime and lemon juice and voilà you have a fruit salsa..
    When I was a teacher at a daycare we had a snack of celery with I believe cream cheese or PB and sprinkled raisins on top..(I actually didn't try it so I am not sure what it tastes like)
  • forbesn
    forbesn Posts: 5
    Options
    Another idea is to keep cucumber slices, and drizzle them with lime juice for a different flavor. You can add light ranch to this also... mmm!!!