Confused about NET cals

Options
Hi all,

I have used the Scooby TDEE calc to calculate my calories. I set my activity level to 'Desk Job little exercise' which gave me around 1450 and I then used a HRM to add in my exercise cals and I usually would eat around half back (sometimes all, sometimes none).
I would just try to NET 1200.

BUT, I've been thinking of setting my activity level to 1-3hrs light exercise per week which would give me around 1650 per day not log exercise cals.

But I'm confused... wouldn't this mean that on some days I could net below 1200? I do bootcamp 3x per week, each session is 45mins and I typically burn around 360 cals. But this can sometimes be more!

I have also just got a dog so will be walking him 2-3 times per day. Would 1-3hrs light exercise per week be about right for 3 bootcamps with a cal burn of 300-400 per session + gentle dog walking?

Should I continue on 1450 and add in Exercise cals or would I be ok upping my cals to 1650 per day without logging cals?
Has anyone done this both ways and found any difference in their weight loss?

Many thanks :)

Replies

• Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Anyone?!
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Options
    Sob sob :sad:
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Are you making a cut from your TDEE or are those figures actually your TDEE?
    Firstly I would say that 1 -3 hrs light activity is probably too low for 3 x bootcamps and daily dog -walking, so I would increase that to moderately active, if I was you. Work our your TDEE and deduct 15-20% if you are trying to lose weight ( I am assuming this).

The benefit of this method is that you can eat a steady amount every day, whether you work out or not. Personally I don't like the eating back exercise calories method as on non-workout days 1200 is not enough but on workout days you have more calories to get through than you really want. The TDEE method effectively assumes in advance that you WILL do the exercise and spreads those calories over the week. I guess this means that on workout days you may net under 1200 but it will balance over the week so nothing to worry about.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have used the Scooby TDEE calc to calculate my calories. I set my activity level to 'Desk Job little exercise' which gave me around 1450 and I then used a HRM to add in my exercise cals and I usually would eat around half back (sometimes all, sometimes none).
    I would just try to NET 1200.

BUT, I've been thinking of setting my activity level to 1-3hrs light exercise per week which would give me around 1650 per day not log exercise cals.

But I'm confused... wouldn't this mean that on some days I could net below 1200? I do bootcamp 3x per week, each session is 45mins and I typically burn around 360 cals. But this can sometimes be more!

I have also just got a dog so will be walking him 2-3 times per day. Would 1-3hrs light exercise per week be about right for 3 bootcamps with a cal burn of 300-400 per session + gentle dog walking?

Should I continue on 1450 and add in Exercise cals or would I be ok upping my cals to 1650 per day without logging cals?
    Has anyone done this both ways and found any difference in their weight loss?

Many thanks :)

I worked out my TDEE using Scooby too...
    I adjusted my activity on MFP to Lightly Active 3 days in gym, 2 days stretching, 1 day futzing about with Wii games
    I also adjusted my Daily calorie goal to be my BMR - 1300 (so only 100 up from the 1200 min)
    I try and eat to betwen 1420-1520 in total a day... more if I have burned a lot, but as long as I remain under my TDEE then I am happy... if it's only half a pound gone, it's still half a pound less than I was!

Mind you - I over estimated my activity at the beginning of the year, and maintained...

Just keep adjusting by about 100 cals every few weeks or so until you hit that balane.
    And be patient... marathon, not a sprint.
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Options
    Are you making a cut from your TDEE or are those figures actually your TDEE?
    Firstly I would say that 1 -3 hrs light activity is probably too low for 3 x bootcamps and daily dog -walking, so I would increase that to moderately active, if I was you. Work our your TDEE and deduct 15-20% if you are trying to lose weight ( I am assuming this).

The benefit of this method is that you can eat a steady amount every day, whether you work out or not. Personally I don't like the eating back exercise calories method as on non-workout days 1200 is not enough but on workout days you have more calories to get through than you really want. The TDEE method effectively assumes in advance that you WILL do the exercise and spreads those calories over the week. I guess this means that on workout days you may net under 1200 but it will balance over the week so nothing to worry about.

Thanks for your reply :flowerforyou:

My numbers based on my stats and 'desk job, little exercise' are:
    BMR 1469
    TDEE 1763
    -20% 1410

VS
    My numbers based on my stats and '1-3hrs light exercise' are:
    BMR 1469
    TDEE 2020
    -20% 1616

I am just starting to find that 1450 which I was on (rounded it up lol) feels like too little on non-workout days and as you say, when I've exercised, I don't always want 18-1900 cals that day! So I thought maybe do it the steady -20% way!

You might be right that 3 bootcamps & dog walking may not be 1-3hrs light but 3-5hrs moderate takes my -20% cals to 1821 which just seems way too high for me! Scary!

I think I will give it a week on 1650 (again, guess I should round down from 1616 but I think up looks better and -20% is a fairly big chunk) and see how my losses go and maybe up them gradually. It just seems like quite a jump but I guess it isn't really.
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Options
    I worked out my TDEE using Scooby too...
    I adjusted my activity on MFP to Lightly Active 3 days in gym, 2 days stretching, 1 day futzing about with Wii games
    I also adjusted my Daily calorie goal to be my BMR - 1300 (so only 100 up from the 1200 min)
    I try and eat to betwen 1420-1520 in total a day... more if I have burned a lot, but as long as I remain under my TDEE then I am happy... if it's only half a pound gone, it's still half a pound less than I was!

Mind you - I over estimated my activity at the beginning of the year, and maintained...

Just keep adjusting by about 100 cals every few weeks or so until you hit that balane.
    And be patient... marathon, not a sprint.

Thanks :) sounds good. You are totally right... a loss is a loss even if it is only half a pound! I need to worry a bit less about going over my cal goal because you are right, as long as I'm below my TDEE, I should be ok!

It is a marathon! I need to be able to keep going and if that means sticking with it but taking longer, then so be it! X
  • stevjegor54
    Options
    explain to me what TDEE is that ur talking about. I weigh 270 on january 1 have been stationary biking 9 miles a day working with weights 4 days a week and as of this morning i am at 254 on my weight. I drink 30 grams whey protien every morning after i work out and eat 1000 to 1200 calories a day. Does this seem ok?