Is it calories or what you eat???

Options
I had a bad day the other day but it didn't eat bad food. It got me thinking. Is it the amount of food you eat i.e. the calories or is it what you eat. Surely if you eat over your calories but it's all fruit, veg etc surely it doesn't matter??? What's your opinion??? :)

Replies

• NatWillBeSkinny
    NatWillBeSkinny Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i think its a bit of both really cos if you think one thing might be 150 cals and then u get something unhealthy like a choc bar for 150 cals theres alot of sugar and fat in it but the healthy stuff for 150 wouldnt have as much bad stuff in, if u get what i mean lol
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If you are calorie counting it is the calories that matter; not what the food is.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    i think its a bit of both really cos if you think one thing might be 150 cals and then u get something unhealthy like a choc bar for 150 cals theres alot of sugar and fat in it but the healthy stuff for 150 wouldnt have as much bad stuff in, if u get what i mean lol

What she said. :)
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    It does not matter what you eat. Eat what you want. But healthy low calorie choices allows you to eat more of it and feel more full. (and get better nutrients, most likely anyway)
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    In real terms, it is just about the calories... as in, the input vs the output. however, certain foods triggers you to want to eat more, certain sugars etc. Also, if you sit with a portion of chips on the table, you work out you can only eat 10 to fit in with your allowance, your unlikely to be able to stop there...

Aside from that, weight loss should be a healthy thing. YOu need the different nutrients and things to keep ur body going... life isnt just about whether your jeans fit or not...
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    I think if you just eat unhealthy stuff that is high in sugar, your weightloss won't be sustainable because you'll get hungry.

e.g. if I eat 150 calories of vegetables, that is going to keep me full a lot longer than 150 calories of chocolate!

Also, if you want to build in exercise to your lifestyle, unhealthy food will mean you struggle to do it because you will feel underpowered by the "empty" calories that are sugar.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I really believe it is what you eat that makes the biggest difference. The calories from fruits and veggies do not seem to count as much and they leave me feeling fantastic!!. I have been experimenting a lot and I seem to be able to eat as many fruits and veggies as I want. Adding the other stuff is what I have to be careful of. I know I will get flack for this but it works for me and that is all that matters. I no longer count my calories and as you can see, I have been very successful getting the weight off.
  • natm91
    natm91 Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys :D
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm 'experimenting' with this this week. I've been calorie counting and losing but have decided to give Slimming World a go this week, their basis is that certain foods you can eat unlimited amounts of. Now yesterday I was over what MFP would set me for maintenance so I shall be following their principles this week while tracking to see if I can lose whilst not being at a calorie deficit like they promise.
  • AhlaWahda
    AhlaWahda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I agree. WHAT you eat is the most important. I lost 29 lbs just changing my food intake but not counting calories.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    both, but it does depend a lot on what you eat too.
  • cerealaddict
    cerealaddict Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's a bit of both. If you eat more than you burn, whether it's healthy stuff or not, you'll gain weight.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    It does not matter what you eat for WEIGHT LOSS ALONE. Eat what you want. But healthy low calorie choices allows you to eat more of it and feel more full. (and get better nutrients, most likely anyway)

Changed that for you. Of course it matters what you eat, if you want a healthier, happier body. You can still overeat when eating 'clean' by eating far too many calories, but getting a good body is certainly more than just 'calories in calories out'.
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It depends a) on your goal and b) on your general state of health.

So about a)
    - is it being slim or skinny or thin or whatever you want to call it? Then it's just about calories.
    - do you want to be healthy/fit/conscious about environment etc? Then it's also about macros, exercising and going organic/vegan/sugarfree/whatever

And about b)
    if you have some medical issues, then it's a completely different thing.
    What you eat and what you consider healthy maybe crucial in being successful with losing weight (I think about thiroid issues/IR and so on) or it may be even crucial in surviving (long term: intolerances, short term: heavy allergies...).
    So for someone who is intolerant to lactose - lactose isn't healthy.
    For someone allergic to peanut butter - peanut butter isn't healthy at all.
    For someone with IR or T2Diabetes fast carbs/sugar are not healthy...
    and so on..
    but this are not general rules, because most people can chose from the a-part and decide what they want. Only counting calories or feeling what their bodies prefer.

Best wishes to everyone!