Do you eat your extra workout calories, and why or why not?

Options
So I am a little over a month into my second attempt on losing weight, first attempt I got pregnant half way to my goal weight. I have been stuck on a plateau for the past two weeks. I was just looking over my weekly calorie summary and my first two weeks that I lost about 10 lbs I was only about 250 calories under my weekly goal. For the past two weeks that I did not lose any weight I was about 2,500 calories under my weekly goal. Also, I did not start working out until these past two weeks.

My question is, should I eat the extra calories I get from working out, or not? And why, or why not?

Appreciate any feedback!

Replies

• metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to eat more on the days that you exercise.

I don't know if eating all of your exercise calories is a good idea, but I always try to add 100 - 300 calories on days that I exercise, especially if it involves weight training.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I do, because I would keel over from exhaustion if I didn't. I burn 3000-3500 a week running. If I didn't eat those calories back, there's no way I could run that much-plus I'd be b!tchy, miserably and generally unpleasant. But that's me. I have not plateaued (although generally a plateau is more like 6 weeks, not 2).
  • Kitamarie97
    Options
    MFP suggests eating back some if not all of the calories you earn from working out. The told me that 1200 cal diet I am on should already allow for weight loss without working out so 1200 cals is not enough when I exert energy working out. I eat when I am hungry so I avoid sending my body into starvation mode. If I am hungry I eat healthy choices, but I do not aim to eat back the calories I burn.
    Hope this helps Good Luck!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    if you aren't eating back the calories you exercise, you are basically telling your body 's*** just got real, there is no food and lots for me to do, let's conserve energy!'

Excuse my Aussie language, but that is what happens, you freak your body out and it holds onto the fat and weight. Start eating a bit more (fill the workout calories with veggies and protein shakes) and you will feel more energetic and hopefully that'll assist with the weight loss :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat about 80-90% of my exercise calories. It's been working so far, as I've lost 3.6 lbs in the span of a couple of days this month. It's common sense to eat more on days when you move more. Eat less on days that you may not move so much. It took my fiance drilling that into my head for me to actually listen. lol
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I try to eat them back, otherwise I wake up starving in the morning and try to eat the cat. When I wasn't eating them back there were also times when I'd wake up in the middle of the night really damn hungry. I also noticed my weight loss stalling when I wasn't eating them back.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I try to eat them back, otherwise I wake up starving in the morning and try to eat the cat. When I wasn't eating them back there were also times when I'd wake up in the middle of the night really damn hungry. I also noticed my weight loss stalling when I wasn't eating them back.

:laugh: mmmm cat
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    no, i never ever do.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. I get fully easily even if I get a lot of exercise so it's hard for me to eat more than 1,500 calories. I always eat back at least half of them.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1700 and don't eat them back. The only time I'd eat more is if I felt weak or hungry. I just listen to my body. Works for me.

Zara
  • raeless2011
    raeless2011 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My goal is to not eat them back, but my exercise burns from 200-400 calories. I don't usually eat them, since my goal is to lose weight, and I feel that weight loss is an equation of calories in/calories out. I also set my goal at 1600 calories per day. If I go over the 1600, I don't stress, when I I exercise. But I am learning, that on days I go out to eat, I need to exercise so I have more flexibility in food choices/preparation.
  • tdfarmer
    tdfarmer Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm currently at goal. After losing 15 lbs I plateaued. I was not eating back exercise calories. I was encouraged to start eating back and did not have a problem since. Infact I think it accelerated my wait loss. Reach my first goal very quickly after.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Eat most if not all back.
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I not only don't eat back my exercise calories, I eat 200-300 less than my daily allotment. I'm trying to lose 75 more pounds, and I've been losing a couple pounds a week since adding exercise to my routine. I'm not going to change that until I have to. And I sometimes struggle to eat enough calories so that MFP doesn't scold me when I finalize the day, especially if I'm trying to keep my macros relatively balanced.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course I do--as far as I'm concerned, it's a no-brainer (unless you're using the TDEE -20% method, in which your exercise calories are already accounted for). I don't worry if I'm a little under at the end of the day because I only have my deficit set to lose half a pound a week, but I find if I am 300 or more calories under, or even 200-ish for more than 2 days in a row, I'll be starving and low-energy the next day and have a hard time sticking to my planned calories.

I think that fueling my body as well as possible during weight loss is more important than trying to get the weight off quickly by taking shortcuts--plus, it's more sustainable in the long run.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I eat some of them back only because I've reached a point where eating them all back would be eating for the sake of eating.I am never hungry enough to eat them all back, and I find it's easier to go over on days that I don't exercise. Then I have to be a bit more careful. It's taken a few months to reach this point, however.
  • t_illan
    t_illan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!!!
    I think I'm gonna start eating more on the days that I exercise.

Thank you!
  • Terree_G
    Terree_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's very simple. My 1560 per day is my TDEE less 20%. So my deficit is built in. If I exercise and burn 300 calories, I can eat them back but I still haven't touched my deficit.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I love food, and I'm one of those people who will exercise so that I'm able to eat more. Go ahead, judge me. :tongue: I don't give a rat's patootie what some random yahoo on the internet thinks of my lifestyle choices. It works for me; I've lost over 20 pounds (15% of my body weight for reference). However, just because it works for me doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. Talk with a medical professional (my go-to-girl is a friend with a Master's Degree in health & fitness awareness), do some trial and error, and find what works best for you and your lifestyle.
  • Nimadi486
    Nimadi486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I always eat at least some of them back. If I didn't I wouldn't have enough energy to get a good workout in.