Implant and weight loss

Options
Hello all, I know there has been a similar discussion recently about weight gain when having implanon, however I want to ask a slightly different question. I've had the implant now for 2 years and have put on weight but probably because I've eaten too much and hardly exercised at all. For those that have been on a diet before and after the implant I'm wondering if it felt or was easier to lose the weight after it? I started my diet at the beginning of the year and lost my 11lbs really quickly and despite being obese, sticking to my calorie intake and over the last few weeks actually adding a decent amount of exercise in I haven't lost any more. I have decided to have the implant taken out as I've had other issues with it. I;m going to try and go without all contraception for now and give my body a chance to relax instead of putting excess hormones in it and see how the diet continues!

Replies

• rosikinslovesyou
    Options
    I found Microgynon was stopping me from loosing weight, best off without it all!

I had the injection before that, it was pure HELL. I was a moody cow and my weight went up and down like a seesaw.
    Now I'm off all the contraception, I find it so much easier to keep control of my weight. :smile:

I mean I havent had the implant as such but you definitely have nothing to loose by having it taken out and seeing what happens. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'll be interested to see the outcome of this, I have the impant and am looking at other options as I'm getting effects, mostly long heavy periods (sorry TMI) from it for the first time in 7 years. But I couldn't go of BC totally, I'm too lazy/spontaneous for the "at the time" contraceptives and I'm definitely not in the "it wouldn't be the end of the world if I got pregnant" camp. But I've not really considered its effect on my losses (or lack thereof)
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    I had the injection for several years and it set off clinical depression which helped me gain lots of weight - downward spiral!! :cry: my husband had the snip so I didn't have to take bad chemicals!

Hope you get on better when it's gone xxx
  • ellycope
    ellycope Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have the implanon implant and I haven't found any issues with weight loss. I've just used MFP and reduced my calories and done more exercise and its worked! I have had problems with breakthrough bleeding with it and for that reason I won't have a new one put in as I'm now taking a pill as well so frankly I might as well just take a pill! I went without hormonal contraception for a while but my natural periods are so painful I couldn't take it!

Eat well and exercise and you should be fine! Don't forget to take measurements too as sometimes the scales aren't telling the full story.
  • rosikinslovesyou
    Options
    I had the injection for several years and it set off clinical depression which helped me gain lots of weight - downward spiral!! :cry: my husband had the snip so I didn't have to take bad chemicals!

Hope you get on better when it's gone xxx
    Depo-Provera? I was eating full packs of chocolate digestives smeared in peanut butter daily when I was on that thing. It's horrid. I had no control over anything, you're just miserable and hungry all the time.
  • Chellbelle81
    Chellbelle81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the nexplanon implant inserted 8 months ago Nov 12, I too had weight gain, xmas was the reason for most the gain, which I thought I could work it off in the new year, quite a normal routine for me, so come January I upped my exercise and watched my calorie intake and all I could do was maintain my weight. So 9 days ago 4/6/13 I had my implant removed, I haven't changed my eating habits and i'm still exercising, not as much the first few days after as my arm was a little tender and I replaced the implant with a coil the same day so I wanted to give it a little time whilst the cramps eased. So so far to date I have lost 6lbs!!! So happy right now!! I tried to convince myself for months that it wasn't the implant and that I was doing something wrong although when I've exercised and put my mind to it I've always got great results! So glad I had it removed, the best decision I ever made. :-)