Wasting Away?

Options
I was just told by a customer that I am "wasting away." I still have 6 more pounds to lose before I am in the healthy BMI range. Has anyone else received a comment like this? How did you take it? I know I have, more than once. I've also been told that I should "be careful", "don't lose too much weight", and that I should "eat more." I realize that the people who say it, do not say it with an intent to sound insulting...that they in fact, mean the opposite. But I get quite frustrated at the insinuation that my weightloss is unhealthy or makes me look unhealthy in any way at all. Losing 107 pounds was the healthiest thing I could do for myself! Wondering if I'm overreacting to the comment.

Replies

• nightdragon70
    nightdragon70 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I get that comment a lot when people haven't seen me in awhile and then they notice the weight loss. I just tend to thank them and let it go.

Personally, I think after being self conscious so long about being overweight, it becomes very easy to be self conscious in the other direction. Instead of worrying about being too heavy, you start worrying about being too thin.

Just remember.. It's all about how YOU feel , and of course being healthy.
  • BrittKnee_Rae
    BrittKnee_Rae Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    lol YES!! Ive gotten comments like "wasting away", "withering away "!! I just laugh about it, dont take it personally!! I work in a large company around 1,200 employees, so i typically get AT LEAST a comment day.. Its nice that people notice but it gets old! The worst is when people call me "skinny minny" or tell me im skinny in general! I am in no way, shape or form SKINNY!! of course they are being dramatic.. I hold back the rudeness and simply say, fit.. not skinny, but thanks for noticing! I dont want to be skinny, EVER!! I never realized that being called skinny is just as offensive as being called fat haha seriously!
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I had a co-worker that I hadn't seen in a couple of years tell me not to lose any more weight because I would look sickly... I am still, by definition, obese at my current weight of 181.. But because the last time she saw me was around the 240lb range it was just shocking to her I guess.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You're over-reacting to those who have absolutely no real knowledge regarding true health and well being. Were you well below a healthy BMI or otherwise somewhat below 10% body fat, there would be cause for concern. But in my experience, relatively few people possess any practical knowledge regarding these subjects and the risk factors for which they were developed to mitigate. Your weight loss accomplishment is stunning and you are absolutely gorgeous. Let that and similar comments go. Just focus upon finding your own true happiness and your own sense of total self-fulfillment. You don't need anyone else's approval to be truly happy; you only need your own approval and then your life will transform into something you dream of. All the rest is merely an annoying distraction, just like white noise. You GOT this! ;-)
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I think people are startled when you start to get smaller. They don't compare you to other people, they compare you to how you used to look, and don't realize that you actually could easily lose more weight and still be healthy.

Take it as a compliment. They'll adjust to your new size, but it just takes time.
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I often hear something like that when I tell people how much weight I am planning to lose. They'll tell me not to 'overdo it' and turn into a 'stick figure'.
    Thne when I tell them that if I lose 25 pounds, I'll still be in the very upper range of a healthy BMI/weight/bodyfat/everything, they just stare.
  • xoalynnxo
    xoalynnxo Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i've heard this comment as well...i have about 12lbs more to lose before i'm in a healthy BMI range so it is frustrating when people say this. i always say that i am watching my BMI, and still am not in a healthy range but thanks for the concern. when it comes down to it, its about your body and what you want, not anyone else. i also believe that we, as americans, have such a distorted view about what is 'healthy' and 'skinny' so as soon as we get close to a healthy BMI people say we're too small, but realistically that's how we should look. carry on and just keep doing what you want to do and what you want.
  • bonsaiblossom
    bonsaiblossom Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    smile and shake some hater juice in their eyes. some people are jealous and make nasty remarks to make themselves feel better.
  • tigger_belle
    tigger_belle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think people are startled when you start to get smaller. They don't compare you to other people, they compare you to how you used to look, and don't realize that you actually could easily lose more weight and still be healthy.

Take it as a compliment. They'll adjust to your new size, but it just takes time.

This. So true.
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This is happening to me a lot lately. I still have 8 pounds until I reach my personal goal. But even then, I'm not going to be super skinny. I will be in the middle of the "healthy" weight range. I am not good at taking compliments, so the insulting compliments are even worse. I have no idea what to say. I just kind of ignore it and say, I just have "8 more to go"... Some people just don't know how to say things.
  • Sakura_Tree
    Sakura_Tree Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    judging by your pictures you dont look underweight at all, i would just ignore the stupid people who say those things!
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've gotten it too, and before I was even out of the overweight range. Everyone also says I don't look big enough to be a size 12, but it's the size I wear. It really must have something to do with perception. As long as you're a healthy weight and your doctor is happy with it, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    Options

This. So true.

Yes! My boyfriend has taken to calling me a skinny piece of .. doo doo (as a joke of course) :P When I am on the higher end of normal BMI for my height (23,9).. He likes to test this out by trying to lifft me, whooshing me up high when really I've lost very little. He is just quite shocked at the change I guess. I could definitely lose more and still be healthy