8 Cups of Water and other liquids

Options
snookeroo
snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
It is recomended to drink 8 - 8 oz glasses of water a day.
Do you think water in coffee counts? What if you have 4 cups of coffee? Is that 4 glasses of water? Because it's in there.
How about other beverages: tea, soda, ect.? How about flavored water? (Fruit 2o, Propel, ect.)
Or do you think it has to be 100% pure water?

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    My program says any fluid counts. That includes soups and stuff like that.

Let's put it this way: once your body digests whatever it is and the water is extracted, how is your body going to know if that water came from just drinking water or from somewhere else. At that point, it's just water.

Oh and some programs say caffeinated beverages don't count because caffeine is a diuretic. However, it turns out that it's not. You will pee more in the 2 hours after consuming caffeine than if you hadn't but you won't pee more in a 24 hour period. So caffeine is more like a switch that tells your bladder to empty right now instead of waiting for later.
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I went to a bariatric doctor and when asked that question would ask you if it is the same to wash your dishes or your hair with lemonde/coffee/tea?
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Here's what about.com had to say on the topic.

http://nutrition.about.com/library/bl_water_calculator_results.htm?start=1&pounds_100=100&pounds_10=80&pounds=0&minutes=45&preg=0&breast=0&alt=0&dessert=0&alc=0&col=0&sick=NaN&sick=0&page=9

How Much Water You Need to Drink Today

Hydration Calculator
    - A person who is 180 pounds
    - and is exercising for 45 minutes ,
    - is not pregnant,
    - is not breastfeeding,
    - does not live at a high altitude,
    - does not live in a dry climate,
    - drinks 0 alcoholic drink(s),
    - when the weather is not very hot or very cold,
    - and is not sick with fever or diarrhea should have:

94.5 ounces of water today, or 2.8 liters.

If you eat a healthy diet, about 20 percent of your water may come from the foods you eat. If you eat a healthy diet you can drink 75.6 ounces of water today, or 2.3 liters.

Remember that water is the best source for your daily fluid needs. Other good beverages include milk, herbal teas, low-sodium broth, 100% fruit and vegetable juices. Soft drinks will also count toward your daily total of fluid, just remember that sugar sweetened soft drinks and fruit juices add extra calories to you daily diet that you don't need.
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    smeone else had the same question yesterday -

The Mayo clinic has an article about how much water or fluid you should drink a day.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283/NSECTIONGROUP=2

Here is a portion that address this post specifically (but read the article it is interesting):

Another approach to water intake is the "8 x 8 rule" — drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (about 1.9 liters). The rule could also be stated, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," as all fluids count toward the daily total. Although the approach really isn't supported by scientific evidence, many people use this easy-to-remember rule as a guideline for how much water and other fluids to drink.

Although it's a great idea to keep water within reach at all times, you don't need to rely only on what you drink to meet your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake. For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent or more water by weight.

In addition, beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is still your best bet because it's calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available.
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Coffee contains caffeine which dehydrates you. So, you probably don't want to include that.

On the bright side, the recommendation to get the equivalent of 8 glasses of water per day was from water and all other foods - so fruits and veggies would count. Sorry I don't have a citation for this. I'm fairly certain this comes from something in either Michael Pollan or Mark Bittman's writings. Probably Pollan.

On a personal note, I find that I feel much better and lose weight more easily when I drink 8 glasses per day.

Good luck!
  • shoegirl01
    shoegirl01 Posts: 17
    Options
    I've had this same question, and this is what I was told: If you drink a cup of coffee, it equates aprox. 1/2 of a cup of water, etc. I have no idea if thats true or not :) GL.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I say NO. Add in all the calories from milk, sugar, and it's no longer water. Just like soda has all the extra stuff added in....some are dehydrating, or bloating and water wouldn't do that to you.

Fruit juices are a better choice but chock full of calories or artificial sweetners, colorants etc

crystal light would be a good choice if you don't mind artificial sweetner, decaf tea is probably okay. I dunno about propel but I used to drink vitamin water and count it.

When I was drinking multiple cans of soda a day with 3-4 coffee as well I def felt unhealthy and not hydrated whatsoever and funny enough didn't lose weight.

as soon as I substituted those beverages with water there was an instant change in me and it def made it easier to lose weight.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I have my own set of personal rules for what counts as "water". There probably isn't any grand scientific logic behind it... it's just my rule of thumb :smile:

Plain water, green tea, rooibos tea, drinks where I've mixed powder or syrup into water... they all count.
    Fruit juice, coffee, carbonated drinks do not count.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The point of water is hydration. Any thing that would dehydrate you, does not count as water. Soda, anything caffeinated such as sodas and coffee, etc.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I think the opinion that soda and coffee dehydrate you may qualify as an "old wife's tale". I've read several independent sources that state that while caffeine is a diuretic the overall effect of soda and coffee is not a net water loss, but gain.

I try to get eight 8oz glasses of water a day and seem to have good luck with weight loss when I do, but I don't think soda and coffee are evil. I drink both 64oz of water per day and probably 80oz of soda (not a coffee drinker).

Here's another quote from about.com.

http://caloriecount.about.com/diet-soda-dehydration-ft163697

Neither coffee nor soda is dehydrating. Caffeine is not a diuretic when consumed in moderation (i.e. 2-3 cups a day). Both coffee and soda add to your overall water intake.

However, important for you is that coffee is a peristalsis stimulant (which means it stimulates the movement of food through your digestive tract more quickly) -- the chemical responsible for this is present in both caffeinated and de-caffeinated coffees.

So given you are pursuing weight gain, coffee should be avoided due to its being a stimulant in that way.

So go ahead and enjoy the odd soda, but don't let it restrict your calorie intake for the day. Make sure you do not count the calories in it and treat it as an extra so that you don't compromise good nutrition by filling up on a couple of sodas and then figuring that counts as a replacement for a real snack.

So a superbowl should include chips, junk food and a soda and not just a soda.

In fact, you may want to discuss with your doctor the idea of cutting down on your water to replace it with food: whole milk (or soy or rice milk), full fat yogurt, full fat cottage cheese and fruits. It's far better if your hydration comes through food rather than filling up on water that won't help with weight gain.