Juicing? What are your thoughts?

Options
My husband and I recently watched a documentary called "Fat, sick and nearly dead" and would like to start juicing. We bought a juicer. I was just curious about side effects and weight loss etc. Any info is helpful!

Replies

• ambrosij
    ambrosij Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Juicing is a great way to supplement your diet...IF....you are juicing the right items. Juicing fruits is going to create a product high in sugar, low in fiber, and well if you drink it in any quantity it will ultimately not be great for you. Juicing the green veggies and the red veggies can provide you with many much needed nutrients and if you mix a little fruit in it doesnt even tast so bad. Many people who juice are looking to create an alkaline environment in their body which is supposed to be better for your health. Juicing should only be a supplement to a healthy diet, and my personal opininon is that if you enjoy eating veggies and fruits that there is no reason to juice them..they were intended to be consumed with the fiber that surrounds the goodies.
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I prefer throwing my fruits and veggies in a blender, opposed to juicing. Imo, juicers are messy and you miss out on all that great fiber!
  • Whipppets
    Options
    I am using a blender also
    with v8 fusion, mixed berries, Brocolli, Banana, clemintine and I will throw in greens I do not like.
    So far I have lots of energy in the morning and I count about 400 calories estimate into this.
    I also throw in any fruit getting old and sometimes peanut butter.
    I read about this from Dr. Fuhrman who is always looking to fight cancer by using fruits and vegetables.
  • bpn80
    bpn80 Posts: 43
    Options
    I make my own juices quite often as a way to mix up getting fruits and veggies in my diet. The hearty juices I will use as a snack between meals, but I haven't ever used juice as the exclusive way to get my nutrients for an extended period of time.
    One juice I like in particular is:
    2 medium sized beets
    2 medium sized carrot
    1 medium sized apple
    1/2 lemon
    1 teaspoon fresh ginger

It's fun to experiment with different flavors.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I agree with ambrosij... great way to supplement your diet and add a lot of natural vitamins and minerals... but as tempting as it is to lose 80lbs in 60days like he did in 'fat, sick, and nearly dead' It's probably not the best option... and most people will go right back to their old habits after the juice fast, and put the weight back on in the long run.

Plus from personal experience... unless you buy a pretty high end juicer, you end up wasting A LOT of produce, and a lot of juice... which just ends up costing more money in the long run.

If you are really wanting to do the juicing thing, I wouldn't recommend doing it for more than 2 meals a day, then eating one 'normal' meal... much more sustainable in the long run, and a good way to get some extra vitamins and minerals in your diet.

What I do instead of fresh juicing though is drink RAW meal replacement beyond organic- vanilla... 1 scoop mixed with coffee, splenda and half a cup of almond milk for morning and lunch and a 'normal' dinner... It is basically just TONS of dried, ground organic fruits and vegetables, seeds and beans... Sure it is a little on the expensive side. (but certainly MUCH cheaper then getting fast food 3-4 times a week like I used to do... Also a lot cheaper than juicing for me because of all the produce I was wasting with my crappy juicer.) And I wont' lie to you, it is definitely a taste I only tolerate rather than 'like' But it is the single healthiest thing I've seen on the market... and not horribly expensive bought on ebay... And they do all the measurements and calculations for me so I don't need to worry about whether what I'm juicing has the right sugar/protein/carbs/fats/fiber ratio
  • corrinek81
    Options
    Yep, we aren't planning on going on a 60 day only juicing like the documentary... We wouldn't be able to afford that! We just thought of doing a fast for a week and go from there. Just to clean out our systems. We did buy a pricey juicer. We actually did a lot of research on which one to buy. My husband also does a huge garden in the summer so we plan to keep costs down that way once summer hits. Thanks for all the great info everyone!
  • k0pir
    k0pir Posts: 7
    Options
    I juice almost every day and really enjoy it. If I'm out of town or something I really miss it. Green juice is nutritionally better for you, but fruit juices really help a lot when cleansing or fasting. I like doing a 24 hour fast or 3 day cleanse every once in a while just to get my body back in balance.

Juicing does have it benefits over eating raw fruits and vegetables. For one, the nutrients are more readily absorbed into your body than if you were eating the whole food or blending them.

Moderation in all things and have fun. It's a great way to get your body back in balance. Juice on!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your system doesn't need cleaned out, it does that all by itself and very well. Nothing wrong with juicing but you aren't saving any calories over eating real food and with a lot of juicers you're throwing out the fiber that you need for proper digestion. You also will need to have a source of protein if you're only eating fruits and veggies.
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I like to have some green juices everyonce in a while. I think you will get the most benefit out of juicing sometimes, and making green smoothies sometimes. Mix it up for maximum benefits.
  • rlara2012
    rlara2012 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love juicing! Watch Sikh fat and nearly dead as previously suggested. Also, ask yourself some questions and do some bona fide research. On,y you can decide whether or not to juice.

I juice for the nutritional benefits not for weight loss. Juicing isn't a magic pill but it has benefits. Balance is key.

What I can say is juicing has changed my life!!
    Good luck in everything you do!
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    Juicing is useless IMO - eating stuff whole keeps you fuller longer and juicing will trick u into consuming way more fruits which contain a tons of sugar.