Extreme Vanity Sizing at Target! TWO+ sizes too low!

Options
I would love to believe I am wearing a size 8 right now, but let's get real. I'm 5'2" and 172 lbs. with much of my extra weight in my *kitten* and thighs.

I bought two pairs of size 8 jeans from Target (Merona brand) in two different fits. One is tight (low-rise) and the other fits perfectly (mid-waist).

But in a designer brand and a few other pairs of jeans I've got without all the elastic/give, I'm a size 12. That's a pretty big difference.

I'd really love to find out what size I TRULY am - even if it's like a 16! - but it just seems impossible! I know people throw numbers around a lot - such as, a size 4 is a 28" waist - but where does THAT number come from? And where is that waist? Natural waist at the narrowest point? That's like 2" above my belly button! Or where I wear my jeans (barely above the butt crack)? My chest/hips are wide in relation to my waist (in true hourglass fashion) and I don't think that's fair!

Does anyone know where to find a size chart that spans the better part of the last century so I can ACTUALLY know where I stand???

P.S.: Fair warning about Target's insidious obesity-furthering vanity sizing practices!

P.P.S.: If I can find plus sizes (no matter how keenly disguised) in JEANS, why can't Target seem to make a bathing suit top that's bigger than a small B??? XL ought to be at LEAST a D.

Replies

• psychic_atrophy
    Options
    My personal experience with Target is quite the opposite. I have to wear a size 18 or XXL at Target and nearly everywhere else I wear a 16, XL or even L depending on the cut. When buying clothes now I focus on the fit not the number on the tag, it is so inconsistent sometimes.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have size 8 gym tights and size 12 denim shorts and I bought a size 10 jacket the other day the number on the tag means nothing!!!
  • HolyPeas
    Options
    I hate vanity sizing SO MUCH because it created confusion. I wish womens clothing was like mens, a 32 waist is a 32 waist. but at walmart I am an 18, at target I am a 20, in designer clothes I am a 22 or a 24 depending on how bloated I am. I don't care about the number on my jeans, I just want a predictable fit.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I agree with the low-rise issue.. I don't buy low rise pants, too depressing. I am bottom heavy an 18.. In low-rise I have to go to a 20 or 22 if I can even find that cut in that size.

low rise makes no sense at my size. As a size 18 I will not go to muffin top territory and wear tight or stomach showing tops with low rise. To be honest, I find low-rise uncomfortable.. Especially while sitting.. and i hate havingt my back sticking out.

Target sizes I found not too off.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    P.P.S.: If I can find plus sizes (no matter how keenly disguised) in JEANS, why can't Target seem to make a bathing suit top that's bigger than a small B??? XL ought to be at LEAST a D.

I need to shop at Target apparenly, I'm more than an XL (probably 2x) but need a B cup. Not everybody has the boobs to match their butts! :o)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...I know people throw numbers around a lot - such as, a size 4 is a 28" waist - but where does THAT number come from?

Dang! If a 28" waist is a size 4, then how come I'm a size 8? I'm 130 pds and 5'7" and I have a 28" waist. Maybe it goes by hip size. I'm 37" in the hip. Who knows...
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    if you're 172 lbs, you might want to consider wearing your pants a little higher than barely above your *kitten* crack.

Oh, look, everyone! Snark on the internet! How novel!

You don't know anything about my body shape. I'm not wearing ultra low-rise jeans while muffin-topping over them. It's the way my body is proportioned. If I want something to even remotely fit in the *kitten*, it ends up being ENORMOUS in the waist to the point of actually having to fold the fabric at the waist under the belt like a pleat.

I don't spill over my pants or have crack hanging out.

You need to cheer up or something and quit being a jerk - which is easy to do in the comfort of your online anonymity - I get it.

Did you know that everyone's body is...gasp...DIFFERENT?!
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    P.S.: Was it REALLY necessary to zero in on that one point to insult me instead of actually contributing to the thread?
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    When buying clothes now I focus on the fit not the number on the tag, it is so inconsistent sometimes.

Inconsistent is the best way to put it. And yeah, I have gotten used to just picking up a 4-size (or so) range of one article of clothing and just seeing what fits in the dressing room. :/
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I have size 8 gym tights and size 12 denim shorts and I bought a size 10 jacket the other day the number on the tag means nothing!!!

Exactly! It's all over the place!

Don't even get me started on shoes! lol
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I just want a predictable fit.

EXACTLY.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I agree with the low-rise issue.. I don't buy low rise pants, too depressing. I am bottom heavy an 18.. In low-rise I have to go to a 20 or 22 if I can even find that cut in that size.

low rise makes no sense at my size. As a size 18 I will not go to muffin top territory and wear tight or stomach showing tops with low rise. To be honest, I find low-rise uncomfortable.. Especially while sitting.. and i hate havingt my back sticking out.

Target sizes I found not too off.

Yeah, I guess low-rise fits everyone differently. Regular waist pants go up to ABOVE my bellybutton, so, for whatever reason, low-rise jeans fit just right without showing off any whaletail or creating a muffin top. Which is very strange because I have a big butt. You'd think the opposite would be true. Just goes to show how different everyone's body can be!
  • slbrown5
    slbrown5 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    if you're 172 lbs, you might want to consider wearing your pants a little higher than barely above your *kitten* crack.

You don't know anything about my body shape. I'm not wearing ultra low-rise jeans while muffin-topping over them. It's the way my body is proportioned. If I want something to even remotely fit in the *kitten*, it ends up being ENORMOUS in the waist to the point of actually having to fold the fabric at the waist under the belt like a pleat.

You need to cheer up or something and quit being a jerk - which is easy to do in the comfort of your online anonymity - I get it.

Good for you and my thoughts exactly!

I don't have a good answer for you on sizing. It ranges so dramatically from store to store and I really don't believe there exists a true size chart any longer.

Great work!
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Good for you and my thoughts exactly!

I don't have a good answer for you on sizing. It ranges so dramatically from store to store and I really don't believe there exists a true size chart any longer.

Great work!

Thank you. :flowerforyou:

And, you're right. There really ISN'T a true size chart! Such a bummer!

Thank you again. :)
  • Shaylaluvsya
    Options

BAM
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Its that way everywhere. I'm 5'9" and weigh approx. 145. I'm a size 6 or 8 but in some "mall" stores I can wear a size 2 or 4 and in designer items like Tom Ford, Chanel, St. John, Versace, etc. I wear the biggest size they make. In Tom Ford (who I love) I only can wear a few items and personally only own 2 dresses and one pair of pants because they run so small. Its crazy how small designer clothes run and how big the mid-priced stores run. I'm not overweight at all and yet there are some designers I can't wear :( its frustrating. Not everyone can be tall and a size 0, def not me!!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    The best you can do to figure out your size is look at a simplicity, vogue, butterick, or mccall's pattern. The measurements are right on the back. They're the only ones who can't really do the vanity thing because people need to be able to know which size to make, so they have to be consistent.

Unless you sew, though, I'm not sure what difference it really makes; clothing differs so much from store to store now that the number is really only a suggestion.
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Good post! Ignore the idiots, people sat on their computer being vile....so nasty. You buy whatever you want, and I am sure you will look amazing. Go girl xxxx
    To all the nasty small minded people, "go boil your head" !!!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the me-ality booths? It does a full body scan and supposedly tells you what your true jean size is(amongst other clothes).I went to one at the mall in a chicago suburb.

I was a size 2 in some brands, and a size 4 in others. It was interesting to see!
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Incredibly rude and unnecessary. McKay actually carries her weight well, and I'm envious! :)

Using the forums to pick on someone says an awful lot about you. Take it elsewhere.