Giving it up.........

Options
As a practicing Lutheran, I've been told by fellow Lutherans that Catholics are like our "fraternal twins", so I'm curious... Will you give anything up for the Lenten season??? Do you think giving it help will continue after Lent? For me, I grew up with more Catholic friends than anything, so I've always given something up for Lent..... its not a common practice in the Lutheran religion, but it happens... I am giving up bread and potatoes; two of my worst enemies.... I'm hoping it will continue after Lent... that I will just realize that I don't need those things in my diet to make me happy!!!

If you wanna friend me and follow my journey, please do so; the more the merrier!!

Replies

• starvinkevin
    Options
    "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:" Colossians 2:16
  • theresamay
    theresamay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started getting serious only a month ago and gave up alcohol (I love my wine) and sweets. I've actually found it relatively easy and plan to continue. So, the thought of giving up something for Lent made me really think! I usually give up chocolate or caffeine. This year, however, I've decided to give up meat. Like you, I'm hoping for a permanent change. I will, however, keep eating fish. (OK, now I've officially announced it in a public place. No turning back!)
  • WFBspantran
    WFBspantran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am not particularly religious but was raised Cathoic. I know that there are many people who will not eat meat during Lent but I say it would be WAY more difficult to give up the fish fry... beer battered fish, fries, tarter sauce with beer? Now THAT would be dedication!

On a side note however I agree that now is as good as anytime to try to make a change by giving up a "vice." I too drink far less than I ever did before, partially due to schedule, partially due to almost 4 year old twins. But I agree once you get going, it isn't that hard to continue!

Good luck!
  • valcladdagh
    valcladdagh Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I too was raised Catholic and remember well not having candy during Lent. Maybe I will try this, no chocolate for lent. Not sure I will make it, but I will give it a try :)
  • LemonMint6
    Options
    My personal philosophy on Lent is not that you give up something you'd LIKE to do less of, but give up something that is a sacrifice to do less of, but that will be a blessing when you finally do restore it to your routine.

I've considered giving up a favorite television show, eating at restaurants, coffee, using a smartphone, an extra hour of sleep, etc...

I'm not sure if/what I'll choose, but just something to think about.
  • kjmenser
    Options
    I haven't eaten bread, pasta, potatoes or rice in 4 months, the weight went very very fast at first, Is is a daily struggle but well worth it!
  • Evagem
    Evagem Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Our family is catholic and even though we are not the most religious, we all try to give up something. I had to think really hard on what to do this year. Since my diet is already fairly restricted (chocolate or treats maybe once a week - always within my calories, reduced alcohol, etc.), I don't really have anything to give up. It would be hard to give up meats or say that I am going to add in more fish because I refuse to be a short order cook and my guys are carnivores and don't care as much for fish). So I came down to giving up my cup of coffee each day or pinterest! I am choosing to give up the coffee because there are days that pinterest is the only things that save my sanity!!

Good luck to all this Lent!