Just not having any luck!

It's been a year since the weightloss stopped. I had lost 85 pounds as of February 2012, going from 310 pounds to 225. Around September last year I was getting so discouraged due to the lack of weightloss, I stopped logging my food. Then Thanksgiving and Christmas came. By the time the 2013 new year came, I was back up 25 pounds. I now currently weigh 249. I recommitted to losing this weight and made goals. So far, I have failed them. I aimed to lose 5 pounds a month. With only 1 pound lost by the end of January, I'm beginning to wonder if I will be stuck at this weight forever....

2 years ago, we made drastic diet changes. No fast food, lean meats, dairy, nuts, beans, whole grains, veggies and fruits. We eat out once a week so, I allow myself not to log the one meal per week and just enjoy going out with the family. I workout 5 days a week including strength training 3 times a week. Today for example I did 30 minutes on the elleptical on level 5, then a walk/jog on the treadmill for 10 minutes burning a total of 300 calories per my HRM. I have tried mixing up my workouts, upping my calories, reducing my calories. The scales have not moved other than water flucuation from day to day nor do my clothes fit any different.

As a side note, I do have hypothyroidism and have been on medication for 16 years. I keep going back to the doctor complaining of my lack of weightloss only to be told my levels are fine. I have opened my diary, but I haven't logged anything this week. Thanks for any advice you have!

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    When you try your changes, whether with diet or exercise, how long before you "give up" and change again? Do you eat back your exercise calories? Do you know what your BMR is (go to apps, then BMR, it will calculate it for you)?
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    I usually give it 30-60 days before I'll try something else. I eat back most of my exercise calories just depending on the day. I'm afraid sometime it may overcalculate them. Some days I'll eat them all, some days I may go over 50-60 calories and some days I may have 100-150 calories left. Yes, my BMR is 1800 according to MFP calculations.
  • ChristyP0303
    bump
  • auddii
    Hm, I use the in place of a road map spreadsheet to calculate my calories, and I've had a lot of success. I also find it easier to have the same calorie goal every day instead of changing it based on my exercise (personal preference). However, I don't have thyroid problems, so I can't say it would work, but the thread has a ton of advice in it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

I am trying to be better about weighing the food that I eat. Somewhere there's a video showing how a "cup" of oats can weigh more than a recommended serving size due to inconsistencies with how measuring cups are used. (I was shocked to see that the correct weight of a cup of oats was about a quarter of an inch below the one cup mark.)

I've also started strength training and lifting heavy (strong lifts program).
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Quit eating your exercise and be faithful with truthfully logging your food. It's pretty hard to guess what you ate or did.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    u should be netting 1800 calories

being at a deficit for a long time could pause ur weight loss. u may need a break
  • ChristyP0303
    I haven't been in a deficit for quite some time....at least 6 month.

u should be netting 1800 calories

being at a deficit for a long time could pause ur weight loss. u may need a break
  • ChristyP0303
    Didn't think about the weighing of food instead of measuring. I weigh my meat and nuts....but everything else I usually use measuring spoons and cups. I'll try that and see if I come up with a difference.
    Hm, I use the in place of a road map spreadsheet to calculate my calories, and I've had a lot of success. I also find it easier to have the same calorie goal every day instead of changing it based on my exercise (personal preference). However, I don't have thyroid problems, so I can't say it would work, but the thread has a ton of advice in it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

I am trying to be better about weighing the food that I eat. Somewhere there's a video showing how a "cup" of oats can weigh more than a recommended serving size due to inconsistencies with how measuring cups are used. (I was shocked to see that the correct weight of a cup of oats was about a quarter of an inch below the one cup mark.)

I've also started strength training and lifting heavy (strong lifts program).
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    1500 calories is your maintenance calories? I am think that is what I read...

If I were you I would recalculate. I am older and (I think) shorter than you and I eat 1800 at a deficit based on TDEE. Are you sure your numbers are correct?
  • ChristyP0303
    No I have not been eating 1500 calories at maintainence.
    1500 calories is your maintenance calories? I am think that is what I read...

If I were you I would recalculate. I am older and (I think) shorter than you and I eat 1800 at a deficit based on TDEE. Are you sure your numbers are correct?
  • auddii
    Found that video about weighing food versus measuring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • WFBspantran
    WFBspantran Posts: 59 Member
    Well fist congrats on what you HAVE achieved! I would agree with a couple points that have been mentioned here already.

1. By faithful. Log everything as soon as you can after eating so you truely know here you stand for the day.
    2. Measure by weight food. It is amazing the difference in using a measuring device to get 1 serving of rice for instance vs. using a food scale to weight it out per the package serving size by weight.

A few other ideas, make sure you drink lots and lots of water. Once you are truely logging all of your food (the one meal off idea is fine as long as it is one meal not a huge binge), see what happens. If your weight still does not move, then lower your calories slightly. You could also try to switch up some of your exercieses to get your metabolism up and moving again. You have done a great job so don't let all of your success trend back now.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    I try to use MFP to get a very good idea of how many calories I burn vs. what I consume and try to be in deficit (even if just by a hundred calories) every single day.

You might just need to get a bit more stricter during the week. How many calories do you consume? I'm 6'3 298 and my target is 1900 per day, though I almost always burn 700-800 per day at the gym so I usually eat around 2300-2500 calories. My diet is similar to yours though I stay away from fruit during the week just to avoid the sugar/carbs.

You sound like all the tools are right there, you just need to dig in a bit and figure out what you are missing. Keep your chin up, it's not impossible!

One last thing, in my experience luck has little to do with it. I refuse to believe it does, because then I have to believe that I have no control over my weight. And I know that to be false. I can control it, it just requires some effort.