Dial or digital and number jumping.

Options
Just wondering what the preferred scale type is? I'm using a health-o-meter dial scale which goes up to 400lbs. I don't use the digital for 2 reasons, first being that I haven't been able to find one which goes up to my weight and secondly the number jumps, or at least it did the last i was able to use a digital scale.

Well I'm not sure if it is just the digital scales that have that annoying number jump. Mine seems to swing between 3 or 4 pound marks like yesterday 309.5 and today 312. didn't go over calories and did my exercise. If you see a little change like this should you go back and recalculate your calories...i don't because the next day is normally a small loss again.

Maybe my feet were not in the same spots as my scale has plenty of room to move on and maybe pronation can change the numbers slightly? Then theres the two step (weigh once, don't like the number, step on again, hope for better) Does the numbe change when you bend down to look at the results.

OK this post is half serious and half silly, these are things i've encountered and they can be a little frustrating at times. Just wondering who else notices these things and if there are any ways around them.

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what the preferred scale type is?

No scale at all!!

Why use an unproductive and positively INACCURATE way of logging your progress?

Use a tape measure, your belt buckle, jeans, friends comments, picture diary ANYTHING BUT A SCALE!!!

Never has any one single machine been so responsible to driving potential weightlosers into misery and regression!!!

Eat right and do more, you'll see results in the mirror, I promise you!! you can do it becasue you f*cking fantastic and with enough effort you'll kick fat where it hurts!!!

just Do yourself a favor get rid of that piece of *kitten*
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It may not be your scale that jumps. Unless you literally weighed yourself on the same scale 3 times in a row and all measurements were completely different. A difference if a few pounds from one say to another is normal. it may be retained water, where you are in your cycle, you haven't had a BM, ....lots of things play into it.

As for dial vs digital, I recently ditched my dial for a digital because it did jump. I could weigh myself 5 times in a row and they were all different. Also I had a hard time to see the numbers.
  • lovinglifemore
    lovinglifemore Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Eat right and do more, you'll see results in the mirror, I promise you!! you can do it becasue you f*cking fantastic and with enough effort you'll kick fat where it hurts!!!

just Do yourself a favor get rid of that piece of *kitten*

Thank you very much for that! I know i have been relying on NSVs also to check my progress and stay motivated and not sure why i care about the numbers...i believe someone may have told me recently the weight has been coming off too easily for me and it wont stay like that forever...now i'm obsessed with the numbers. I need to get hooked on a different set of numbers like inches lost! dress sizes lost. I am fantastic and I can do it...thanks again!
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Damn right!!!!!!

BOOM!!!!!