Scale Dilemma

Options
I bought a new scale on Sunday and it is a Weight Watchers scale. I had a digital scale at home already, but it only had .5 increments and I wanted more. I had a coupon and the scale was on sale, so I decided now was the time.

Here in lies my dilemma....
I weighed myself this morning and the scale showed 133.4 (A LOT LOWER) than I was expecting, believe my I was ecstatic.
I then weighed myself on my old scale and it showed 137 (which is more believable) from my last week weight which was 142.

I would like to start using this scale, however, I dont want to cheat in my weight loss...
Any suggestions???

Replies

• Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Go off the scales you will be using from now on.
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Get yourself on another set of scales and see if there is a difference, keep the scales that are closer.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter which one you use as long as you use the same one all the time.

Yes, they are different, but all you really care about from a scale is if the number is increasing or decreasing and that it can repeat whatever number it spits out with some accuracy (if you weight yourself several times, you weigh about the same).
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    See what the directions say about calibrating it. Also take some weights that you know the weight of and test it on each scale.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my weight watchers scale!! Even when it says nasty things to me! ;) I would do what ninja said. Just log the lower one on the new scale and move forward.
  • kisses4dylan
    kisses4dylan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    How crazy I justttttttt said this to my gfriend earlier today. She suggested that I put one of my handweights on the scale to verify if the two work. I actually want to purchase me a Weight Watchers Scale. Where did you find the coupon???
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I weighed two ten pound hand weights on both scales -- and the WW scale was correct! I weighed less than I thought! Hope you get the same results.
  • CASue13
    CASue13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That is a dilemma. Is the WW scale not digital? I would have to go by how I feel. If you are like me, you probably know if you feel 133 vs. 137. And, whichever you pick, stick with just the one.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    unless you are putting a 100+ lb weight on the scale, doing this is absolutely useless.

IF you want to check the accuracy,

1) zero the scale (most digitals do this automatically)
    2) stand on the scale a few times and note the weights
    3) average your weights
    4) HOLD a 10-20 lb weight and stand on teh scale again a few times
    5) average THOSE weights
    6) compare the averages and see if it increased by the weight of the dumbell.

Scales have to be checked in the range that they are used. If a scale is meant to weigh 80-300 lbs, weighing a 10 lb weight by itself is not helpful - it needs to be within the range.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Use the same scales every week.
  • kaleeann1
    Options
    I had gotten the coupon from eversave.com.

thanks everyone!