Extreme Vanity Sizing at Target! TWO+ sizes too low!

Options

Replies

• Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    P.P.S.: If I can find plus sizes (no matter how keenly disguised) in JEANS, why can't Target seem to make a bathing suit top that's bigger than a small B??? XL ought to be at LEAST a D.

I need to shop at Target apparenly, I'm more than an XL (probably 2x) but need a B cup. Not everybody has the boobs to match their butts! :o)
    ^This^, I find that Target's plus sizes run small, but not because of my boobs. Finding a bra when you are overweight and small chested is a nightmare.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    You won't find a standard size chart because they tend to vary with every brand. I've even ordered clothes based on that company's size chart, only to have them be too big or too small. It's frustrating.

Since you have a curvy build - small waist with wider hips/butt - try Lucky brand jeans. I don't know where they're sold, as I can't wear their sizes yet, but I have a few friends with the same build who swear by them. They're fuller in the seat and narrower in the waist to help prevent gapping. Lee jeans are also pretty good for that (try the relaxed fit).

I feel your pain. I need a belt even with curvy jeans. I wear Lane Bryant's Right Fit (blue circle fit/very curvy) right now, which have the waist quite a bit smaller than the hips. They don't go below a 14, though.

the lucky's fit fairly well, BUT I have a size 28 that fits me perfectly now (I'm 169lbs) a size 30 thats too small, and a size 31 thats even smaller.
    so good luck with that!
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite at Target, too. I'm wearing a size 8 in calvin klein, Lucky but in Target's Merona that I wanted for everyday jeans - I was lucky to fit into a 12. I always use a tape measure to measure across the front of the jean laying flat, that's the only way I know they'll fit. Different measurement for the rise as well.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    She is asking for help with sizing, not fashion advice.

A natural consequence of posting on a public forum is that one cannot control what others do. What I'm saying is that a variety of responses are part and parcel with the medium of discourse.

As for men's sizing, that also suffers from vanity sizing. I recently bought new jeans and pants for my new waistline, and the number on the label definitely does not match the measuring tape.
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I hate vanity sizing SO MUCH because it created confusion. I wish womens clothing was like mens, a 32 waist is a 32 waist.

Yeah. not so simple as that really.
    If you are a man that squats you can't fit your legs & butt into half the jeans out there that are supposed to be your size.

And dress pants?
    It's even worse because flat-fronts fit way different than pleated.

Basically every manufacturer has their own ideas on what sizes are so if I do go shopping i make sure I have time to try everything on.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    On topic, my jeans that fit range from 12 to 15.

It all depends on the brand, and the style. Even with workout clothes, all Larges are not created equally.

What I end up doing is trying different sizes of one style and/or another, and just get what fits, trying NOT to pay any attention to the number on the tag.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Women's clothes have horrible sizing. There's no standard - every manufacturer has its own sizing conventions.
    At Talbot's, for example, I have to buy clothes a full size larger than I do at Land's End.
    Then there's the issue of fit - every mfr has different ideas of what a woman's body should look like.
    My advice: IGNORE the size. Try on things, and buy what fits. No matter what the size.
    If you mail order, buy a bit larger - you can always take it in.
    It will also help you know that manufacturer's sizing, so you'll know what to buy.
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am 52, also 5'2" but when I was 20 years old and weighed 169 pounds I was wearing a very tight size 16 jeans. I knew they were targeting vanity by changing the sizing but I think this is ridiculous.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    ...I know people throw numbers around a lot - such as, a size 4 is a 28" waist - but where does THAT number come from?

Dang! If a 28" waist is a size 4, then how come I'm a size 8? I'm 130 pds and 5'7" and I have a 28" waist. Maybe it goes by hip size. I'm 37" in the hip. Who knows...
    I wear 4s at Target (and 4s and 6s other places, so I don't find Target to be that far off these days) and my waist is actually closer to 29" or slightly more. I'm kinda straight up and down, though, and yes, my hips are much smaller proportionally than my waist. I believe my hips are 35.5 ".
  • lumstead0317
    lumstead0317 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Clothes shopping drives me crazy! I went on a quest right before Christmas to find the perfect jeans... usually a size 8... I'd grab the 8's they'd be a little snug, so I'd try the 10's which looked like I was wanting to wear suspenders and have people toss things into them (like clowns do)... I tried on probably 5 or 6 different brands... all had the same issue... muffin top, then the next size clown pants! I also have short legs and a long torso so they either hang about 6" past my feet or if I find pants in short or petite they ride just barely above my butt crack! Doesn't matter if I buy in a different rise I swear to you, clothing is the devil!! I've tried on everything from 8-14... NOTHING seems to work right!! It's a clothing conspiracy!
  • TigressPat
    Options
    Lies!!! I'm wearing three different pants sizes and two different shirt sizes. I also have a couple shirts in the larger of those two sizes that I can't even button. Clothing sizing is bad all around.

I think we have it slighlty easier because we tend to have boxier builds and no boobs, but there's some sort persistent illusion that men can just order stuff off the rack by one or two objective measurements and not try it out.

Sure, we can do this... if we want to look like a complete idiot.

My waist is 32 inches and my chest is 40 with wide shoulders. Most shirts that fit my shoulders are built for a 38"-42" waist, but no shirts have a waist measurement on the box. This produces a disturbing puddle of fabric around my gut which makes me look fatter.

Even "slim fit" shirts don't always work. I have a DKNY "slim fit" that probably has a 36" in waist. $50 wasted.

Through lots of tireless experimentation, I found two... TWO shirt brands that actually have close to a 32" waist.

I have a 14-15 inch difference between my waist and boobs.
    I have never had a button down shirt in my LIFE.

you have it easy my friend!
    *LOL*

that said, you could try Bravissimo/Pepperberry or BiuBiu
    both make shirts for bustier women, even if you aren't particularly busty (don't know!) and have a broader back shoulders this might work for you. They go by measurement.

OOOPS!!!
    edited as I just realized that I was talking to a GUY!
    lol

Sorry man....

I'm leaving the post up though so others may lauhg at my stupidity and just in case there are women with the same issue who need shirts!!!!
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I would love to believe I am wearing a size 8 right now, but let's get real. I'm 5'2" and 172 lbs. with much of my extra weight in my *kitten* and thighs.

I bought two pairs of size 8 jeans from Target (Merona brand) in two different fits. One is tight (low-rise) and the other fits perfectly (mid-waist).

But in a designer brand and a few other pairs of jeans I've got without all the elastic/give, I'm a size 12. That's a pretty big difference.

I'd really love to find out what size I TRULY am - even if it's like a 16! - but it just seems impossible! I know people throw numbers around a lot - such as, a size 4 is a 28" waist - but where does THAT number come from? And where is that waist? Natural waist at the narrowest point? That's like 2" above my belly button! Or where I wear my jeans (barely above the butt crack)? My chest/hips are wide in relation to my waist (in true hourglass fashion) and I don't think that's fair!

Does anyone know where to find a size chart that spans the better part of the last century so I can ACTUALLY know where I stand???

P.S.: Fair warning about Target's insidious obesity-furthering vanity sizing practices!

P.P.S.: If I can find plus sizes (no matter how keenly disguised) in JEANS, why can't Target seem to make a bathing suit top that's bigger than a small B??? XL ought to be at LEAST a D.

if you're 172 lbs, you might want to consider wearing your pants a little higher than barely above your *kitten* crack.

Oh shut up Miss I have 102 lbs to lose.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I agree. Sizes are all so different. I'm a size 5 in some jeans, and a size 7 in others. It really depends on the design and type of pants. I will, say, though, that I have a terrible time finding jeans that fit properly. I have a 26 inch waist, 34.5 inch hips and 20.5 inch thighs. As you can probably guess, jeans fit fine in the leg and butt but they are always too loose around the waist. And if the waist fits, chances are they'll be too tight on the legs.

Rawr!
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It is difficult to know exactly what size pants you are since every manufacture has their own standards.

I have two pairs of pants, both the same size bought from the same store 3 years apart. The one bought first is larger than the new one.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I hate vanity sizing SO MUCH because it created confusion. I wish womens clothing was like mens, a 32 waist is a 32 waist.

Yeah. not so simple as that really.
    If you are a man that squats you can't fit your legs & butt into half the jeans out there that are supposed to be your size.

And dress pants?
    It's even worse because flat-fronts fit way different than pleated.

Basically every manufacturer has their own ideas on what sizes are so if I do go shopping i make sure I have time to try everything on.

Amen to that. My husband has amazingly defined legs, amazing glutes and broad shoulders. Dressing him is difficult at best. He doesn't fit in skinny jeans (I'm ok with this) or pants with tapered legs. And if something fits his tummy, it bunches funny on his shoulders, so much so that it pulls the seams if he moves his arms. If it fits his shoulders, a small family of deer can sleep peacefully in the waist area. Cargo pants, khakis and t-shirts are the main staples of his wardrobe.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    I wish womens clothing was like mens, a 32 waist is a 32 waist.

Lies!!!

I'm wearing three different pants sizes and two different shirt sizes. I also have a couple shirts in the larger of those two sizes that I can't even button.

Clothing sizing is bad all around.

So guys don't actually have it easier with clothes? I'm not sure if that's comforting or depressing. I sort of knew it, since I wear some of my son's outgrown jeans (from when he was a 6teenager), and they have stuff like "loose fit, straight leg" on them. I'd still rather have numbers more meaningful than 6 or 8 or whatever. And when it comes to XS to XL, it really gets hopeless.

there's no consistency in men's sizing either.

However most men find a pair of jeans they like and just keep buying the same one if their size does not change.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I have to go UP sizes at Target. Totally ridiculous. I hate vanity sizing. I find companies like Talbots and some of the more expensive designers shy away from vanity sizing so you can get a realistic look at your size. That said, with the variety out there today I can be in a size 8, size 6, or size 4 dress (or a M, or a S) depending on who designed it and what cut it is. :)
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My waist is 32 inches and my chest is 40 with wide shoulders. Most shirts that fit my shoulders are built for a 38"-42" waist, but no shirts have a waist measurement on the box. This produces a disturbing puddle of fabric around my gut which makes me look fatter.

Even "slim fit" shirts don't always work. I have a DKNY "slim fit" that probably has a 36" in waist. $50 wasted.

Through lots of tireless experimentation, I found two... TWO shirt brands that actually have close to a 32" waist.
    While not a perfect solution a military tuck can help. Also alterations are effective if it allows you to get more wear out of a purchase.
  • sara1077
    sara1077 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is a good link from WW.

One of the paragraphs that might help you refers to dress patterns: "Appealing to vanity
    Vanity sizing, in which measurements run larger than standard, has become a factor adding to the confusion. Designers have drifted far afield of the US standard clothing sizes that were developed in the 1940s and 1950s.

One of the few places where older sizing is still apparent is in the dress-pattern market. The McCall Pattern Co., which markets Butterick, Vogue and McCall sewing patterns, shows size 8 measurements as 31 ½” bust, 24” waist and 33 ½” hip. Those measurements on Banana Republic’s Web site are somewhere between a size 00 and 0.

Marilyn Monroe’s dressmaker claimed her measurements were 35”-22”-35” when she posed for Playboy in 1953, according to MarilynMonroe.com. Despite the oft-cited anecdote that she was a size 12, she would really be more like a size 2 or a 4 by US standards."

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=4&sc=3048&art_id=89681
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I would love to believe I am wearing a size 8 right now, but let's get real. I'm 5'2" and 172 lbs. with much of my extra weight in my *kitten* and thighs.

I bought two pairs of size 8 jeans from Target (Merona brand) in two different fits. One is tight (low-rise) and the other fits perfectly (mid-waist).

But in a designer brand and a few other pairs of jeans I've got without all the elastic/give, I'm a size 12. That's a pretty big difference.

I'd really love to find out what size I TRULY am - even if it's like a 16! - but it just seems impossible! I know people throw numbers around a lot - such as, a size 4 is a 28" waist - but where does THAT number come from? And where is that waist? Natural waist at the narrowest point? That's like 2" above my belly button! Or where I wear my jeans (barely above the butt crack)? My chest/hips are wide in relation to my waist (in true hourglass fashion) and I don't think that's fair!

Does anyone know where to find a size chart that spans the better part of the last century so I can ACTUALLY know where I stand???

P.S.: Fair warning about Target's insidious obesity-furthering vanity sizing practices!

This is pretty funny.. I am 5'2" 177 lbs and I just bought two pairs of Merona Jeans, also both a size 8. I don't remember what fit I got, but definitely not low rise. When I was 217 lbs, I was wearing a size 18 in the Merona jeans, same fit. So it made sense that I would go down that many sizes. If the jeans aren't stretchy and are a lower rise, then I'd be a much bigger size because my hips are pretty big compared to my waist.
    I don't think there is a standard as far as size goes, because every brand is different. Just measure your waist and you know how many inches it is - usually designer jeans come in inches (like men's jeans do).

Just for reference, my waist is 36 inches and my hips are 41 inches so we must have similar measurements.

Oh, also forgot to add, the Mossimo jeans barely fit me right, because there is no stretch. I own two pairs and they are a size 14, and they are tight in the thighs and stick out at the butt, but then tighter in the waist.