How to recover on treamill during HIIT?

I've recently started doing HIIT on a treadmill. I do a 20 second run at 11 MPH with a 40 second rest at 3MPH. Now the issue I'm having is that after I do the sprint, by the time I get the machine slowed back down to the 3MPH where I can walk & recover it's basically time for me to start sprinting again. Should I forget the walking in between & just recover by standing on the sides of the treadmill? I'm not sure how to to handle this issue.

Replies

• I have been doing interval training as well, but agree it takes too long to get the treadmill down to the slower speed again. I don't do such quick intervals, however, I do 2-3 minutes on 3.5mph and 45 seconds at 9mph. I've found this gives my body time to recover but only just enough time to recover before I start going again, and I feel great afterward. Keep up the great work!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    The treadmill... just really isn't a good choice for HIIT, for exactly the reason you've found. Working around the machine's limitations is going to more or less cancel the benefit of what you're doing. Best option is to switch to the elliptical or a bike, or try to find somewhere else to run.
  • I have been doing interval training as well, but agree it takes too long to get the treadmill down to the slower speed again. I don't do such quick intervals, however, I do 2-3 minutes on 3.5mph and 45 seconds at 9mph. I've found this gives my body time to recover but only just enough time to recover before I start going again, and I feel great afterward. Keep up the great work!

Thanks I'll keep that in mind to try!
  • The treadmill... just really isn't a good choice for HIIT, for exactly the reason you've found. Working around the machine's limitations is going to more or less cancel the benefit of what you're doing. Best option is to switch to the elliptical or a bike, or try to find somewhere else to run.

I don't do well running outside because the impact is too much on my ankles & knees. I've done it on an elliptical, but really don't care for it. I would consider trying it on a stationary bike though. Thanks for the suggestion!