10 Mile Training Plan?

Options
I have always been a runner, but never a high mileage gal. Usually, nothing over a 10K interests me. I run 2-3 days per week and log between 10 and 15 miles. I also lift twice weekly and swim one day per week. I have had multiple knee surgeries, including 3 ACL reconstructions (well okay, one was a revision of a reconstruction), and have no meniscus in my left knee. I turn 40 this year and am considering what fitness goal I want to achieve. I am thinking of a 10 mile race during Memorial Day weekend. Does anyone have a training plan they recommend for a 10 mile race? I'm wondering how much above my 5 miles/outing I'll need to log and whether my knees will tolerate the pounding. Suggestions?

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I did Army Ten Miler in October 2012 but didn't really follow a training plan (so should've...)

Hal Higdon has a 15k training plan that he states can be used for a 10mi. 15k is about 9.3mi so you just need to survive that last 0.7 mi.

It's free, check it out:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51126/15K-10-mile-Training-Guide
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I like Hal Higdon's plans. If you follow the Half Marathon plan, you'll be plenty prepared. Good luck.
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon...it's free online and his plans work well. I did my 1/2 to his running plan.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Hal higdon has some good plans http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51127/15-K-Training-Guide-Novice-Program

His novice plans have a strong focus on cross training which is probably the best for you (do non impact cross training)

I have no idea if your knees will hold up to the pounding. The only advice I have there is

* Do plenty of strength training to strengthen the muscles that support the knee prior to building miles
    * Build miles very slowly (perhaps even slower than hal's plan)
    * Reduce your weekly miles by 1/2 every 6-8 weeks to give your body a chance to catch up
    * work hard on your running form. The closer to barefoot form you can get the better. You may find it useful to buy some minimilast shoes for short runs to work on form
    * Log some of your miles on the treadmill, even though it sucks it is easier on your knees
    * try to run on dirt roads / fairly even dirt trails. if you can't find those run on asphault, concrete is the hardest on your joints
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This is the one 'll be following for a 10 mile race/run in the summer:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-70-mins-plus-10-mile-schedule/88.html
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm ramping up to train for a half marathon for the first time in several years. I was lucky in that the half in our area is the centerpiece race in the community and is the big focus for our runners club. They sponsor training for it in which once a week starting Memorial Day weekend (for a mid-August race) the club meets to do a training run. The first is 5 miles and, for the most part, a mile a week is added. There are weeks where the mileage is slightly shorter to keep legs fresh, but mostly it's a mile a week until we reach half marathon length.

I did shorter runs during the week and also did some lifting and other cross-training. On the short runs, I did some speed training too.
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    I really like the training plans that Jeff Galloway puts together. He is now the training guy for runDisney and all the plans are on-line at http://www.rundisney.com/training/running/

There are plans for different distances and different goals (beginners, experienced runners who are increasing milage or experienced runners who are looking to improve time). The dates are set around Disney runs, but you can obviously just calculate them around your own races.

What I really like about them is that they are realistic and achievable. There are three runs per week and only one longer run every other week. For me, I can commit to a 1.5-2 hr run every other week, but trying to fit that in every week is difficult. I also suffer from ankle/knee issues and can only put in 15-20km per week. I supplement the running with weight training and other HIIT.
  • badgeratheart
    badgeratheart Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I have committed to the Soldier Field 10 miler on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. I'm planning to follow a cross between Hal Higdon's novice and intermediate training plans. Not really sure what I'm thinking, but we'll see how well the knees tolerate it!