New to site: Vegetarian w/ resolve not to count chips as foo

Options
I'm new to the site and wanted to say hello!. I am in fact a vegetarian who has relied heavily on junk food, bread, and cheese as diet staples. It's my eventual goal to adopt a vegan diet... but, baby steps. If anyone has any suggestions about snack foods that have been unusually satisfying AND healthy, I'd love to hear them.

I can be caustic while sharing my thoughts on dieting, so I apologize in advance. I am only blunt with myself. I don't judge.

More soon, I plan to start a blog as well.

Replies

• bunnigun
    bunnigun Posts: 12
    Options
    Welcome to the site!
    As of late, I've found the most filling meal I make is a red curry with rice noodles and lots of vegetables. For veggie snacks -- kale chips (baked or dehydrated) are pretty good, but you'll want to brush your teeth afterwards if you're going to be talking with people. Freeze-dried sweet corn or blueberries are a current household favorite; however, watch out if you find yourself eating the whole bag because the blueberries have about 21g of sugar (natural, from the fruit/not added).
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! There are many veggies, semi veggies, and vegans on this site so I'm sure you will get an abundance of ideas. I love to snack on Lara Bars, they have three ingredients or less- all fruit and or nuts- no added sugar. There is nothing wrong with snacking on chips, just as long as they are the good kind :P I like the whole wheat flax cracker/chips paired with edemama hummus. MMMMMM MMMM! GL!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    welcome to the site!! I'm not a vegetarian but I am trying to work my way there.....eventually.

some of my favorite snacks are soy milk smoothies (just 1 cup vanilla soy milk or other milk of your choice and 1 one cup frozen fruit)

I also like to have a whole wheat bagel (I use weight watchers ones just for the smaller size and lower calories) with 1 tbls organic peanut butter or sunflower seed butter and 1 tbls no sugar added jam (I use smuckers field berry)

Both of those are great for after working out or for breakfast.

Bagels and low fat herb and garlic cream cheese are great too

I like just a hardboiled egg as a snack, or baby tomatoes with a sprinkle of salt.

Falafel chips and salsa (sometimes I add lowfat cheese)

yogurt.....I love that as a mid morning snack my fave is satisfaction red fruit and muesli

100 calorie packs are okay in moderation, they have so many kinds and it's the portion control that is best about those.

grapefruit with a sprinkle of splenda (I eat this daily as a mid afternoon snack)

celery with some cheese whiz or peanut butter

cream of wheat (sometimes I add raisins or cranberries)

Rebar (fruit and veggie bars, I like plain and blueberry) they supposedly count as 8 servings of fruit and are filling for sure.

Hope this helps!!
  • linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i find 1/2 cup oatmeal (pre-cooked amt.) with half a banana sliced up and half a tbsp of peanut butter mixed in to be incredibly filling and long-lasting. (for sugar, I add stevia sweetener)

also, mixing in craisins and sunflower seeds is tasty as well.
  • gigibon
    gigibon Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Some great ideas for snacks. I especially like the oatmeal/banana/peanut butter recipe. Made me hungry. :o(
    I kid, I kid... seriously thanks and I hope I can pass on some new ideas too!