Shoes?

What are your favorite shoes to exercise in? Exercise meaning jogging, cardio, hopping around in general.

I had to toss my asics, and new balance, as they wore out too quickly and I have fairly large feet (womens 11) so the stores never have any good shoes in my size. I seem to have problems with the outside edge supports in the shoes turning way too squishy within a couple weeks. To the point where I almost roll off the sides of my shoes.

I'm ready to buy online but don't know what to begin looking for. I have issues with soreness in the bottom of my feet - especially the balls of my feet (just below the toes) and my heels.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Replies

• Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Do you have any running stores in your area that do shoe fittings/assessments? Perhaps they could order you in a size 11. I wear size 11 as well and I went to the Running Room and got properly fitted and fortunately they had quite a few size 11's to choose from.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I wear vibram five fingers for most outdoor activities, but I do not run.
  • 748marie
    748marie Posts: 61 Member
    when My husband and I decided to start running he did research like always and found that the reebok Zig series was good. sure enough we went to the Reebok outlet and I tried on a pair of ZIGtechs and thought I stepped into heaven! Wow. It is a struggle not wanting to wear them for everything (stay at home mom of 4 so I am on my feet all the time) so to not wear them out!.. They even have similar sandels so I bought 3 pairs because I loved them so much.. The shoes are little pricey for a family of 6 but if we can make it work I am sure you could too. It is either pay a little more for the shoes or pay the price of junkie shoes at the doctor's later!
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    I use New Balance, but keep in mind, there are SO MANY of them, I think I use the 454? I also have professional made inserts from a podiatrist (BEST $$ EVER SPENT). He was a runner and a podiatrist, he was the one who reccomended the New Balance for me.
  • christinekry
    christinekry Posts: 86 Member
    Do you have any running stores in your area that do shoe fittings/assessments? Perhaps they could order you in a size 11. I wear size 11 as well and I went to the Running Room and got properly fitted and fortunately they had quite a few size 11's to choose from.

We do have one running shoe store that I know of. I took my daughter there a couple years ago and walked out spending $250. I'm an impulse buyer, so I'm not sure I'm prepared to walk in there again. Maybe though :)
  • christinekry
    when My husband and I decided to start running he did research like always and found that the reebok Zig series was good. sure enough we went to the Reebok outlet and I tried on a pair of ZIGtechs and thought I stepped into heaven! Wow. It is a struggle not wanting to wear them for everything (stay at home mom of 4 so I am on my feet all the time) so to not wear them out!.. They even have similar sandels so I bought 3 pairs because I loved them so much.. The shoes are little pricey for a family of 6 but if we can make it work I am sure you could too. It is either pay a little more for the shoes or pay the price of junkie shoes at the doctor's later!

I might have to make a trip up to the outlet mall. It's an hour drive, but sounds like it could be worthwhile. Thanks!
  • For indoor workouts i wear jazz sneakers--great support front and back but a soft arch for flexibility makes it good for a wide variety of activities--i got them for marching band/color guard in college and still love them. Because of the soft arch, they arent good for uneven or rough surfaces, so dont use them for hiking or anything.
  • christinekry
    I use New Balance, but keep in mind, there are SO MANY of them, I think I use the 454? I also have professional made inserts from a podiatrist (BEST $$ EVER SPENT). He was a runner and a podiatrist, he was the one who reccomended the New Balance for me.

I have always loved new balance! Especially as on your feet all day work shoes. I'll have to check out the 454. Thanks!
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member

We do have one running shoe store that I know of. I took my daughter there a couple years ago and walked out spending $250. I'm an impulse buyer, so I'm not sure I'm prepared to walk in there again. Maybe though :)

It's so worth it to get fitted for proper shoes-- who knew I was buying the wrong kind of shoes for 6 years, and that's why running was so painful?

Resist the urge to buy all the cute-but-overpriced athletic gear.
  • christinekry
    I wear vibram five fingers for most outdoor activities, but I do not run.

I personally know someone who runs in them. Funny looking shoes, but he swears they are the best thing since sliced bread. Not sure they're for me.
  • What are your favorite shoes to exercise in? Exercise meaning jogging, cardio, hopping around in general.

I had to toss my asics, and new balance, as they wore out too quickly and I have fairly large feet (womens 11) so the stores never have any good shoes in my size. I seem to have problems with the outside edge supports in the shoes turning way too squishy within a couple weeks. To the point where I almost roll off the sides of my shoes.

I'm ready to buy online but don't know what to begin looking for. I have issues with soreness in the bottom of my feet - especially the balls of my feet (just below the toes) and my heels.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

if you have an unbalanced stride you might want to look into the under armour shoes that have (supposedly!) different styles made to balance it out. I.e if you tend to pronate they have ones that pad more on the outside.

if you have a women's typical foot with a wider front and narrower heel, you might like Ryka that is only made for women as opposed to unisex brands.
  • christinekry
    For indoor workouts i wear jazz sneakers--great support front and back but a soft arch for flexibility makes it good for a wide variety of activities--i got them for marching band/color guard in college and still love them. Because of the soft arch, they arent good for uneven or rough surfaces, so dont use them for hiking or anything.

I don't know if I've ever seen jazz sneakers before. I'll have to go look those up.
  • christinekry
    [/quote]

if you have an unbalanced stride you might want to look into the under armour shoes that have (supposedly!) different styles made to balance it out. I.e if you tend to pronate they have ones that pad more on the outside.

if you have a women's typical foot with a wider front and narrower heel, you might like Ryka that is only made for women as opposed to unisex brands.
    [/quote]

• palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    It really depends on the shape of your foot and the way that you walk and run in addition to the size shoe you wear. The ball of my foot is wider so I wear Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12 which provides a wider toe box and I find more comfortable. I absolutely love Brooks shoes and if you go to their website and give them some information about your stride and activity level and the surface on which you run, they recommend shoes. If you can stand it get you stride analyzed and say your going to "come back" to the store and look on Zappos or Amazon. Don't be afraid to spend a little more than you like on shoes for fitness if you are committed to staying healthy and exercising.
  • For indoor workouts i wear jazz sneakers--great support front and back but a soft arch for flexibility makes it good for a wide variety of activities--i got them for marching band/color guard in college and still love them. Because of the soft arch, they arent good for uneven or rough surfaces, so dont use them for hiking or anything.

I don't know if I've ever seen jazz sneakers before. I'll have to go look those up.

They look very much like the shoes on this site: http://www.dancebiz.net/?page_id=71

you probalby have to get them from a dance supply place but they arent as expensive as fancy name brand sneakers and they are very comfortable.
  • christinekry
    It really depends on the shape of your foot and the way that you walk and run in addition to the size shoe you wear. The ball of my foot is wider so I wear Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12 which provides a wider toe box and I find more comfortable. I absolutely love Brooks shoes and if you go to their website and give them some information about your stride and activity level and the surface on which you run, they recommend shoes. If you can stand it get you stride analyzed and say your going to "come back" to the store and look on Zappos or Amazon. Don't be afraid to spend a little more than you like on shoes for fitness if you are committed to staying healthy and exercising.

I think I'm going to go up there and see what they say. I have the same problem with the top of my foot being really wide. I prefer to buy shoes in 10W, but those are even harder to find, so I usually settle for an 11. I've never heard of Brooks shoes. Another one I'll be checking out. Thanks!
  • christinekry
    For indoor workouts i wear jazz sneakers--great support front and back but a soft arch for flexibility makes it good for a wide variety of activities--i got them for marching band/color guard in college and still love them. Because of the soft arch, they arent good for uneven or rough surfaces, so dont use them for hiking or anything.

They look very much like the shoes on this site: http://www.dancebiz.net/?page_id=71

you probalby have to get them from a dance supply place but they arent as expensive as fancy name brand sneakers and they are very comfortable.

Those don't look bad at all! I would rock em'