diagnosed with pcos today

Options
i am very new to pcos... i just rec'd confirmation of the diagnosis today in follow up call from the doctor's office. my dr and i haven't gone over the next steps yet, but i have a couple of prelim questions that i was hoping someone here could answer.

#1- i'm going to have to start having b12 shots. does anyone else have to have this? does it help with mood or weight loss?

#2- what is metformin? i see in a lot of posts that people are on this. i know its a drug that usually used to treat diabetes, but is it subscribed for other things related to pcos?

thanks for your help!

Replies

• Emorriso165
    Emorriso165 Posts: 23
    Options
    I just wanted to say good luck with whatever you and your doctor decide because I know PCOS can be a difficult thing for people!! I have it but was not put on anything more than birth control to help control some of the side effects. Even before I went on birth control I still managed to lose 80lbs with just changes in diet and exercise, so don't let it get you down when people say it makes it harder to lose weight! Losing weight is hard for everyone and my experience has been that a calorie deficit is a calorie deficit :) so don't stress too much about that. I don't have any experience with B12 shots or metformin so hopefully someone else can answer those questions for you (and me!! :tongue:),

Also, your dog is SO cute! He looks just like a stuffed animal!
  • Emorriso165
    Emorriso165 Posts: 23
    Options
    Also, there is a website called SoulCyster that is chock full of information for PCOS sufferers, it might be worth checking out!!
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 12 years ago. I was put on birth control pills to regulate my cycle. When I met and married my husband and we wanted to start a family, I was put on Metformin. It is a medication used to treat Type 2 diabetes, but it also seems to help some with PCOS have regular cycles. I did not have any problems with Metformin (some have gastric issues with it), we have two beautiful little boys. I am now on the birth control, but am hoping to get off it and back on Metformin in a few months as my husband recently had a vasectomy.

I can tell you that the insulin resistance (metabolic syndrome is the term nowadays) does make weight loss more difficult, but with careful diet and plenty of exercise, it can be done. I was very diligent a year ago, lost 20 pounds and then got pregnant (after essentially giving up and saying to myself, "Fine, can't get pregnant so let's lose some weight". Now I say "Ya, it makes it difficult and the pill doesn't help either, but it's not going to stop me!". It's another reason I would like to stop the pill and am willing to take Metformin - not that I am into taking meds, but I don't really want to deal with the horrible side effect I seem to have with PCOS.

Best wishes to you - add me as a friend and I'll support you any way I can!
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 8 years ago, my prayers are with you! I did b12 for a little while, but now we just watch those #s. Metformin - been on it for years because I'm insulin resistant. If I loose more weight, I might be able to come off it or at least lower my dosage (current 750mg 3x day). and yes, check out SoulCysters, a lot of your ?s can be answered there.
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    I just wanted to wsh you well too and say that I hope it goes well with your doctor. :flowerforyou:

Ive got it too but my 'only' symptoms relate to infertility and weight gain.(epecially round my middle where it is hard to shift.) and I also have problems with my pituatry gland. My consultant basically urged me to lose weight but was also clear about how difficult this can be.

Ive lost lots of weight and am now a healthy bmi and blood pressure. Eating reduced fat, reduced sugar and only limited carbs helped me. I found ' PCOS diet book' by Collette Harris helpful but I was diagnosed in my 20s so there may be more out there now. I have not been on medication either.
    Best Wishes,
    Gail
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 4 yrs ago....after going for a 2nd opinion, since my then doctor just kept telling me that I was just depressed and fat and to lose the weight. (she also missed a brain tumor, but that's another story)

Metformin helps control the insulin portion of PCOS which also helps regulate some women's cycles. Only side effect I worry about is I NEVER had high blood sugars (had blood work after breakfast once and it was in the low 80s--regulars are low to mid 70s) so I actually can't cut too many carbs out or my levels go down too much.

It will help some, but eating better will be key to losing the pounds.

Some women with PCOS also have to go on Spironolactone for the testosterone imbalance, and when THAT was added I noticed a big improvement in my quality of life. Medication tastes absolutely TERRIBLE but it was worth it, so you might want to ask your doctor about that.

Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • missmeags
    missmeags Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi there, I also have PCOS. Its a ***** of a thing some days.
    I was diagnosed about 8 years ago.
    I was on metformin for about a year. It depends on the person but it was horrible to me. GI disturbances, headaches and dizziness. I came off met 6 months ago and have been taking natural/alternative therapy supplements and I actually have had the best blood results this week that Ive ever gotten!! :)
    Ive also managed to lose 14kg since I came off met.
    But that is just my experience and everyone is different.

I find that a low gi diet works best for PCOS as low gi food releases the sugars into your system at a more steady pace than high gi foods and it keeps you at a more even balance kinda thing.
    And yep I highly recommend SoulCyster too, Its a wealth of info for you :)
    Good luck with your results :)
    Xxxx
  • emmaldownie
    emmaldownie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hello!!!

Just a post to wish you luck with your Doctor!!

I was diagnosed with PCOS in my late teens and for the last 2 years I've battled with my Doctors to get the meds and info that I need. Im still no further forward. I keep getting told to lose weight. I'm struggling with it though, its taken me 4 months to lose 7lb. It seems as though the NHS thinks Met is an expensive drug and you have to fight to get it. My fight is only just beginning!

Good luck!
  • jenniferscheller
    jenniferscheller Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I found out that I had PCOS after my twins were born. Yes it was a difficult pregnancy but we came through it. I now have a 4 year old daughter and 2 year old twin boys. I was told the reason I was able to get pregnant was that I had lost so much weight (25lbs). Now I am back ready to get back into shape. It won't be easy but everything good is worth working hard for. You Go Girl!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    It took me 10 years to be diagnosed with PCOS. I was then put on Metformin and Birth Control pills... neither or which were a good match for my system.... I spent 2 years with gastric issues and then had some weird issues from the birth control pills. I'm no longer on either. I've gone the low carb route (recommended for PCOS) and what I've found is this: Eating properly helps with MOST of my symptoms. As soon as I started eating correctly and avoiding most processed foods - my periods became more normal. As soon as I started exercising, I felt much better. I hear people say that losing weight with PCOS is much harder than for someone who doesn't have it... I only know that my results have been pretty good... do I hit plateaus? Yeah - but so does everyone else.

There are a couple of areas that have not improved yet: excess hair growth - my epilady is still my best friend. Dark patches of skin - still there, but I still have a lot of weight to lose and I'm hopeful. Moods - I still have to be very cautious of my temper flares... I can feel fine one minute and completely flare the next.

I am planning to talk to a natural doctor to see if there are any natural supplements that I can take to help improve the above symptoms - I just haven't done it yet.
  • mianpian
    mianpian Posts: 7
    Options
    you are all so wonderful & supportive! thank you so much!

i had my 1st b12 shot this morning. i've been deathly afraid of needles since i was little, but i guess i'm going to have to get over this fear. :)

& i signed up for soulcysters last night. what a great forum-- thank you for recommending it.

a few weeks ago, my doctor put me on a low calorie diet (because i've been excersing like a crazy person for months with NO RESULTS) and since then i've noticed the weight on the scale going down (9 lbs today!!!!!) but no change in the fit of my clothes or anything (thank you spare tire/bagel belly). does anyone have any suggestions for exercises that have helped?
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    you are all so wonderful & supportive! thank you so much!

i had my 1st b12 shot this morning. i've been deathly afraid of needles since i was little, but i guess i'm going to have to get over this fear. :)

& i signed up for soulcysters last night. what a great forum-- thank you for recommending it.

a few weeks ago, my doctor put me on a low calorie diet (because i've been excersing like a crazy person for months with NO RESULTS) and since then i've noticed the weight on the scale going down (9 lbs today!!!!!) but no change in the fit of my clothes or anything (thank you spare tire/bagel belly). does anyone have any suggestions for exercises that have helped?

Walking has been the best thing for me so far. And I've added in dancing - I have a salsa dvd that I like to do as well as playing on my wii. Since March I've lost 4 inches on my waist and 6 1/2 inches on my hips.
  • gabriellesca
    Options
    My doctors say I have PCOS though I've never been formally diagnosed since I don't plan on having children. I have read and am hoping to start to follow the 'Insulin Resistance Diet' - a way to 'link and balance' proteins and carbs - many PCOSers have had success with it.

Best of luck! SoulCysters is a great site!