Heart Rate Monitor Watches

Options
All you folks who use a HRM Watch, or have used one... what do you think of them? Any recommendations? I have looked on Amazon at some, and read some reviews, and have a few basic ideas, but I was wondering what you all think. I like the idea of trying a HRM in the form of an inexpensive watch, incase I don't like using one. I just want to find one that is accurate. What should I look for? Stay away from? Any help will be appreciated :-)

Replies

• TheMadameMorris
    TheMadameMorris Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple/dp/B005M1P85O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

That's the one I use and I LOVE it! I think it makes me push myself harder to burn more calories. I like to set a calorie goal to burn on certain days so that I feel less guilty when I indulge (go out drinking).
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I am a big fan of tracking my workouts on my iphone.

there are bluetooth heart rate monitors (I use the polar h7) that integrate with many apps on andriod and IOS devices. you can get far more data for your $, and have less things to xary on your runs.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I love my polar ft7. I got it fro AMAZON

be sure to look for a heart rate monitor with caloric burn. Some of them are just for heart rate.
  • Mrc1974
    Mrc1974 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar Ft7 , bought it from Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polar-SilverHeart-Monitor-LadiesWatch-FT7F-RED/dp/B004KMP0TU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1360601582&sr=8-5

I love the Polar FT7! It also comes in black which is very nice also. This is my first HRM, but I have to say I am very pleased with it, it can be fully used with watersports which is great. I am going to try this when swimming, but for other activities it has been great, it shows you the different zones, fat burn or fitness and well as calories etc. :smile:
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

be sure to look for a heart rate monitor with caloric burn. Some of them are just for heart rate.

Do these store the information on the watch for you to retrieve the information later on to figure out you burn? I am looking to find an accurate burn of calories as opposed to waht MFP is saying. I don't feel that what MFP is saying I burn is right.
  • Mrc1974
    Mrc1974 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Do these store the information on the watch for you to retrieve the information later on to figure out you burn? I am looking to find an accurate burn of calories as opposed to waht MFP is saying. I don't feel that what MFP is saying I burn is right.

Yes it does, plus you can also get an upload device to put it online :) The calorie counter gives a total different read to what is on MFP, I would highly recommend one for that purpose alone!!
  • jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    ft 7 saves 10 workouts worth of data according to the manual. I used mine for 1st time yeserday. Gives ave heart rate, max heart rate, total time spent, time in "fatburning" and "time in fitmaking" zones and cals burned.
    Seemed like enough data to me!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    As noted, so many iPhone tracking options that give you more flexibility. But Polar has been shown to be one of the more accurate HRMs out there. Garmin is good if you want GPS. Polar FT7 is always a favorite, and I personally use and love the FT40. I use it with a waterproof monitor when I swim too...signal doesn't always work...but hey, it wasn't made for that anyway. The FT series is my favorite.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You definately want one with a chest strap. The wrist only ones aren't very accurate.

If you have a smart phone and you carry it on your run anyway then I second the recomendation for a bluetooth chest strap. I use a Zephyr HXM.

I use http://www.sportstracklive.com and it even has the option to send my workout to the website live and my wife can see where I am when I am running. There are even apps like endomondo (doesn't work with the HXM) that integrate with MFP.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Just a note here so the OP knows the difference. The Polar HRMs that these people are talking about is more than just a HRM watch. These come with a chest strap you wear in conjuction with the watch. The chest strap picks up your heart rate and transmits the information to the wrist watch device.

HRM watches that do not use a chest strap are not as accurate from what I've read.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm in a study using the Polar FA20 wrist monitor as a tool in a weight loss and exercise program. It is not useful for weight training and less cardio intensive exercises, but it is definitely a motivator for me.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    ft 7 saves 10 workouts worth of data according to the manual. I used mine for 1st time yeserday. Gives ave heart rate, max heart rate, total time spent, time in "fatburning" and "time in fitmaking" zones and cals burned.
    Seemed like enough data to me!
    The smart phones ones graph your heart rate for your whole workout, map your route using GPS, show a graph of your speed, even show you elevation changes along your route. It generates more statistics than you'll use but you may be interested in some of them. It's neat to me to see the effect a hill has on my heart rate and all the other stats but I'm geeky like that.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Just a note here so the OP knows the difference. The Polar HRMs that these people are talking about is more than just a HRM watch. These come with a chest strap you wear in conjuction with the watch. The chest strap picks up your heart rate and transmits the information to the wrist watch device.

HRM watches that do not use a chest strap are not as accurate from what I've read.

Oops...didn't even consider they meant non-strap HRMs. So...this ^^
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    All of these posts are great, thanks guys! I am looking into the FT series, with the chest strap :-)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Just to note that a HRM is only accurate during steady state cardio. It doesn't work to wear all the time or for things like lifting, yoga, pilates.
  • jimian60
    Options
    I just won one from The Biggest Loser Resorts page...a polar ft7 (with chest strap) Just tried it...nice!!! Prior to that I was using a strapless Sportline 915 and a Sportline s7 (walmart $35.. no like, return.) Without a strap you have to constantly press the sensor to get accurate readings.

My views: doing a workout without a watch is like driving a car with a broken speedometer...you can still do it but you'll always be GUESSING.
  • jimian60
    Options
    Just to note that a HRM is only accurate during steady state cardio. It doesn't work to wear all the time or for things like lifting, yoga, pilates.

Hmmm... I wear the watch -- especially when working with weights -- and what i realized is i burned more cals using weights than running. That's what baffles a lot of people. You can BURN BURN BURN even if you never run 5 yards. (I don't do marathons)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple/dp/B005M1P85O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

That's the one I use and I LOVE it! I think it makes me push myself harder to burn more calories. I like to set a calorie goal to burn on certain days so that I feel less guilty when I indulge (go out drinking).

I just ordered this one!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You definately want one with a chest strap. The wrist only ones aren't very accurate.

If you have a smart phone and you carry it on your run anyway then I second the recomendation for a bluetooth chest strap. I use a Zephyr HXM.

I use http://www.sportstracklive.com and it even has the option to send my workout to the website live and my wife can see where I am when I am running. There are even apps like endomondo (doesn't work with the HXM) that integrate with MFP.

This!^ ...... wrist only models only measure your heart rate intermittantly ... chest strap is the way to go

Love my Polar