Was this the right thing to do?

Options
I had wanted to lose 2lbs per week but that put me at just 1200 cal a day. I really tried hard but it just wasn't enough. Between around 3:00 and coming home at 5:30 and doing what I needed to do before starting dinner, I was just absolutely starving! Then of course I would eat whatever I could get my hands on that I thought would take it away. By then I'd blown whatever success I'd had earlier in the day.

I thought I would change it to losing 1.5 lbs a week so that gave me a couple extra hundred calories a day so I'm going to try to use it between lunch and dinner to take the edge off.

Was that the right thing to do? I know I'm suppose to restrict calories to lose weight but I had no energy at that time and my stomach was literally cramping.

Replies

• taranj21
    taranj21 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    are you exercising? if you throw in some exercise, it will give you more calories to eat.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Many people can not last with only 1200/day allowance. If you are feeling starved eat more filling foods (protein etc) and increase calories. Also if you workout track it and eat back your calories burned. You have to eat more to lose when working out or you will feel weak.

Losing any weight is a step in the right direction wether its 0.1lb to 2lbs, just don't stress over it too much--eat, track and work out and you will be fine.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    going from eating your maintenance or even weight gain amounts straight into a 1000 calorie a day deficit is hard to do. In general, I never recommend 2 lb/wk unless you have more than 100 lbs to lose. Even then, you are going to be very hungry for a few weeks until your stomach gets used to the reduced amounts.

So yes, it sounds like you are going in the right direction. How much do you have to lose?

Also, are you eating calorie dense foods that don't fill you up much? Like peanut butter? If so, trade these for fruits, salads, etc. so you have some "bulk" in your stomach.
  • kristinaw1967
    Options
    I was wanting to exercise in the time b/w getting home & dinner but I think I need to do it in the morning when I know I can fit it in.

I'd like to lose about 65 lbs.
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Go for 1lb a week drop and you should feel much better.

Weight loss is a marathon not a sprint, there are no quick fixes out there as advertised to get you to part with money.

Diet and exercise.

Diet - reduce calories by 500 per week and you will loose 1lb.

Exercises to increase your metabolic rate, make your heart and lungs healthy and over all good feeling.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    FIRST OF ALL!!!!!!

You're not starving!!!!! If you eat something in the day, doesn't matter how little, then you can't physically be starving. Your body takes DAYS AND DAYS to enter any form of starvation. Take that word out of your vocab because it's rubbish!!!

Ok, now I'm finsihed putting you straight, lets get down to brass tacks!!!

I know exactly what you're talking about!! it's fine though, you aren't alone. most people feel the same AT THAT EXACT TIME!!!!

You need that barrier full force!! kick it down with two feet and resist temptation! if you do it once, JUST ONCE!!! guess what? YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN!!!

its all in your mind, not your body - your past relationship with food and eating habits are getting the better of you but guess what??

YOUR BETTER THAN THEM!!!

dont let your body rule you!! your the b1tch in control so cowgirl up and show it whos boss!!!!

If you really really really must eat then try rice cakes or something light as *kitten*!!!

go home and empty your cupboards of all the sh1t you'd feel bad about eating and stock up on apples and bananas!!!

no energy? if you need, its not amazing but have an energy drink (ASPARTAME FREE!!!!!!!)

REMEBER THIS!!!!

feeling weak can be a good sign of your body switching from all the sugars and *kitten* your dependent on, TO FAT!!!!

go full throttle and burn fat!!! a chocolate bar isnt worth losing your hardwork for!! your body WILL ADAPT AND GET USED TO NOT SNACKING!!!!

You need to learn better eating habits!!!

BOOM!!!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Go for 1lb a week drop and you should feel much better.

Weight loss is a marathon not a sprint, there are no quick fixes out there as advertised to get you to part with money.

Diet and exercise.

Diet - reduce calories by 500 per week and you will loose 1lb.

Exercises to increase your metabolic rate, make your heart and lungs healthy and over all good feeling.

You mean: Diet - reduce calories by 500 per DAY and you will loose 1lb.
  • kristinaw1967
    Options
    FIRST OF ALL!!!!!!

You're not starving!!!!! If you eat something in the day, doesn't matter how little, then you can't physically be starving. Your body takes DAYS AND DAYS to enter any form of starvation. Take that word out of your vocab because it's rubbish!!!

I know exactly what you're talking about!! it's fine though, you aren't alone. most people feel the same AT THAT EXACT TIME!!!!

You need that barrier full force!! kick it down with two feet and resist temptation! if you do it once, JUST ONCE!!! guess what? YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN!!!

its all in your mind, not your body - your past relationship with food and eating habits are getting the better of you but guess what??

YOUR BETTER THAN THEM!!!

dont let your body rule you!! your the b1tch in control so cowgirl up and show it whos boss!!!!

If you really really really must eat then try rice cakes or something light as *kitten*!!!

go home and empty your cupboards of all the sh1t you'd feel bad about eating and stock up on apples and bananas!!!

no energy? if you need, its not amazing but have an energy drink (ASPARTAME FREE!!!!!!!)

REMEBER THIS!!!!

feeling weak can be a good sign of your body switching from all the sugars and *kitten* your dependent on, TO FAT!!!!

go full throttle and burn fat!!! a chocolate bar isnt worth losing your hardwork for!! your body WILL ADAPT AND GET USED TO NOT SNACKING!!!!

BOOM!!!

Love this butt kicking!! lol And I know everything you're saying is true.

Thanks e'one for your help :)
  • genkimomof2
    genkimomof2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think changing it to 1.5 lbs a day was perfect for you. If you could mostly eat within the cal limits but just needed 100 extra cals a day to get you through the afternoon, do it!

As another poster said, it's not a race, it's a lifestyle change. It took you years to pack on the 65 pounds, so you can't expect to loose it in 4 months. At least, not in a way that is healthy and sustainable.

6 pounds a month will get you to goal in a year, which is pretty remarkable. The hard part is keeping it off, and that's when you will need to rely on good habits you have established while on this journey to a healthier you. Make it a habit to eat something filling but light every day in the afternoon so even when you reach goal weight and you are just in maintenance mode, you will reach for an apple instead of apple pie. Depriving yourself will just make you hate your new lifestyle and you will go back to old habits when you reach your goal.
  • rodeothedog
    rodeothedog Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is what I am doing. To lose 1.5 pounds I needed 1450 calories. I bumped it up to 1680 on my own. I try to stay within that but usually one day a week I go over 200 calories. I usually lose 1-2 pounds a week, one week 3 and one week I stay even (period). I do not count my exercise, I add it as a bonus. I think you need to increase your calories. My philosophy is eat as much as you can if you are still losing weight. ha ha. I could never eat 1200 calories. I love my nightly snack
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    FIRST OF ALL!!!!!!

YOUR BETTER THAN THEM!!!

REMEBER THIS!!!!

BOOM!!!

Love this butt kicking!! lol And I know everything you're saying is true.

Thanks e'one for your help :)
    Take it from someone who has lost weight and snacked, ignore people who say "don't snack if you're feeling hungry" ,in fact ignore anyone who cannot post without using capitals in the wrong place or saying boom.
    Snack on the right foods, and in your calories. have a box of low calories foods pre prepared. I make a huge salad, with pepper sweetcorn, cucumber green leafed veg or mixed salad leaves , a small amount of cheese or some tuna. Keep it under two hundred calories.( that is a huge amount of salad) You get home, have your salad and a huge glass of water, and you're all set to make the right food choice for your evening meal.
  • kristinaw1967
    Options
    I make a huge salad, with pepper sweetcorn, cucumber green leafed veg or mixed salad leaves , a small amount of cheese or some tuna. Keep it under two hundred calories.( that is a huge amount of salad) You get home, have your salad and a huge glass of water, and you're all set to make the right food choice for your evening meal.

That's a good idea (having a salad ready when I get home) - salads really do fill me up. Thanks!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    FIRST OF ALL!!!!!!

YOUR BETTER THAN THEM!!!

REMEBER THIS!!!!

BOOM!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

Personally, I think you did the right thing.

Are you working out?
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I personally find that 2lb a week feels too much for me. 1/2 to 1lb is better and more sustainable. At the moment, I'm doing TDEE - 20% which gives me quite a small deficit (because my TDEE is quite low). I think there's a choice on a sliding scale between big deficit/faster weight loss/hard to sustain and small deficit/slower weight loss/easy to sustain. Because I want to be able to keep this up in the long term, easiness wins over speed for me!

So yes, I think you may have done the right thing, except that I'd go for 1 lb rather than 1 1/2 lb. Did MFP recommend anything to you? It actually recommended 1lb a week loss when I started. I was surprised, because I thought it would be 2 lb. I don't know how it chooses what to recommend. It may have been that for me, anything over a pound would take me below 1200, and MFP doesn't allow you to go under 1200 net. So my net would be 1200 whether I'd entered 1 1/2 lb or 2 lb. Either way, I find that 1200 feels too restrictive.
  • kristinaw1967
    Options
    You know, just knowing I have those few extra calories to use, is making me a lot less anxious about the next few hours. So I'm feeling good that I made a good choice upping it. And if I still feel it's not enough, I'll go to the 1 lb wk and up the calories a little more.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Good luck! It looks like it's feeling better already!
  • kristinaw1967
    Options
    Thanks!
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've got my target set at 1.5 lbs per week for similar reasons. Those extra calories make the process feel much more sustainable. I don't feel deprived or like I have to give up things I enjoy. I have a lot of weight to lose, so finding a target that I can stick to for the long term was more important to me than losing a little faster.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It sounds right to me. Making yourself miserable just to lose faster often leads to thinking it's not worth it and giving up. Better to lose at a more reasonable rate.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cal/day and I'm thinking about increasing it to 1300 cal/day. Not b/c I'm "starving", but because, as hard as I try to keep it under 1200, I tend to go over by 30, 50 or so cals.

I want to see "Calliope610 completed her food and exercise diary for 02/12/2013 and was under her calorie goal" for the motivation factor. Once I start logging in my exercise/activity, I will probably go back to 1200 cal/day.