• mateo57505
    mateo57505 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    *Has worked*.... for WHAT?

Low reps is basically just another form of cardio.
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    I KEEP THIS SAVED FOR THREADS LIKE THIS :
    The lower rep range (1 – 5) causes neurological adaptations, which is your body developing its
    ability to activate muscle fibers by increasing the frequency of neural impulses sent to the
    brain as well as improving intra- and inter-muscle coordination.
    Basically it makes you stronger but does has a lesser impact to your muscle mass.

The mid rep range (6 – 12) the impact is more on the metabolic and cellular level where you gain
    muscle mass but strength gains are not as significant as you would get in the lower rep ranges.
    This is the general rep range for hypertrophy, or mass gains.

The higher rep ranges (13+) stimulate muscle endurance primarily with only a small amount of
    hypertrophy and very little strength and as such is not considered strength training in the
    strict sense of the word.

Note, that there is no hard and fast line between the effects of the above, but rather a continuum.
    Also, the number of sets plays into how much is strength v hypertrophy v endurance. For example,
    you can do 5 sets of 6 reps for a total of 30 lifts, or you can do 10 sets of 3 lifts for a total
    of 30 lifts. If you do them to an equivalent level of failure, the time under tension will be the same.
    The number of sets does not automatically turn it from strength to hypertrophy due to the rest periods
    between sets, but it does have a bearing on where in the continuum the routine lies.

So, in summary:
    1 – 5 reps = strength
    6 – 12 reps = hypertrophy
    12+ = endurance

I have seen this before and past threads and I agree with it. I will however say please read it and keep it in mind. I have read numerous threads on this same subject and invariably this subject turns into a heated argument between people who swear that they are in fact right and the other party is wrong!
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    High reps and heavy weights for me. Most of the plans I train with are based on DTP, which is a proven system and is being used by bodybuilders more and more now. I mean, why stick with convention, right? ;)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I would recommend High reps

Particularly for women

You know . . . .so they don't get all bulky.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! looks like i need to add more weight. in between sets i usually catch my breath (like in between lunges and squats) other than that i move on to another exercise. i use the gym at the y and unfortunatly they have moved alot of machines over to what is referred to "the guys weigth room." i think ill sneak in there on my lunch break. Heavier weigths etc in there versus in the general gym area.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I KEEP THIS SAVED FOR THREADS LIKE THIS :
    The lower rep range (1 – 5) causes neurological adaptations, which is your body developing its
    ability to activate muscle fibers by increasing the frequency of neural impulses sent to the
    brain as well as improving intra- and inter-muscle coordination.
    Basically it makes you stronger but does has a lesser impact to your muscle mass.

The mid rep range (6 – 12) the impact is more on the metabolic and cellular level where you gain
    muscle mass but strength gains are not as significant as you would get in the lower rep ranges.
    This is the general rep range for hypertrophy, or mass gains.

The higher rep ranges (13+) stimulate muscle endurance primarily with only a small amount of
    hypertrophy and very little strength and as such is not considered strength training in the
    strict sense of the word.

Note, that there is no hard and fast line between the effects of the above, but rather a continuum.
    Also, the number of sets plays into how much is strength v hypertrophy v endurance. For example,
    you can do 5 sets of 6 reps for a total of 30 lifts, or you can do 10 sets of 3 lifts for a total
    of 30 lifts. If you do them to an equivalent level of failure, the time under tension will be the same.
    The number of sets does not automatically turn it from strength to hypertrophy due to the rest periods
    between sets, but it does have a bearing on where in the continuum the routine lies.

So, in summary:
    1 – 5 reps = strength
    6 – 12 reps = hypertrophy
    12+ = endurance

This is indeed the 'gold standard' of rep ranges according to the American College of Sports Medicine, National Association of Strength and Conditioning, and many other licensing organizations for trainers/strength coaches, etc.

That being said, hypertrophy (and any other adaptation requiring a change in protein levels) is reliant on nutrient availability.

Most effective programs use periodization, or an organization of shorter phases of specialization to achieve an overall goal of increased performance. You shouldn't focus solely on hypertrophy, power, or endurance. Even if you are a competitive athlete in a given sport, you need to take time off for some active rest or you risk over-training injuries.

Periodization can be linear--meaning your phases are longer and don't overlap--or non-linear, meaning you hit most phases in one or two weeks.

I personally have two heavy-lifting days, two plyometric days, two endurance days, and a flexibility day. I work in all ranges of reps and movements and energy systems to use up calories, prevent boredom, and increase my overall athleticism.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Particularly for women

LOL. epic fail.

don't listen to this guy. Bro science.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Particularly for women

LOL. epic fail.

Or just lots of sarcasm.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Particularly for women

This. This guy knows what's up.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I don't know as much about weight lifting as others do. Just what works for me. I have done high rep low weight since I made up my mind to get healthier and fitter. What I have noticed is that I have no baggy skin anywhere. Including no bat wings. I do intend to lift much heavier weights when I reach my first goal only because I am genetically predisposed toward larger muscles due to my ethnicity.
    Example; started with a calf measurement of 17.5" now 16" and I have lost 53-58lbs since Jan last year. I have lost 10" off my hips, 6" from my waist, 8" from my butt and yet only 1.75" from my bicep.
    My suggestion is to find what fits your needs now. and go with that. You can always change it up later. Have fun.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Particularly for women

LOL. epic fail.

VAiooxb.gif
  • Cr01502
    Options

Particularly for women

LOL. epic fail.

It's regular science.

You're teeny weeny muscles can't handle the big stuff.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Particularly for women

LOL. epic fail.

It's regular science.

Okay, I backed you up before because I thought you were joking, but you're grammar obviously shows you don't know what your talking about

This is just mysogandry.
  • Cr01502
    Options

Particularly for women

LOL. epic fail.

It's regular science.

Okay, I backed you up before because I thought you were joking, but you're grammar obviously shows you don't know what your talking about

This is just mysogandry.

I don't know what the heck that word is little miss but I suggest you park it.

Women weren't meant to lift big heavy weights.

They were meant to watch us men do it.

DO you see cheerleaders doing a dance with 30 kilogram dumbells?

NO! They use pom poms.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i did low weight high reps for years thinking "this will tone me up!" i was only getting stronger at a crawl and didn't see much muscle development. now that i'm lifting like a guy, i'm getting a lot more toned even though i'm eating at a deficit and i like being able to lift heavier and heavier weights.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Low reps, high weight, hitting exhaustion at the end of three sets will help to build muscle.

If you use low weights for many reps, you will increase endurance but not much else.

Source: New Rules of Lifting for Women

P.S. 99% of women don't get bulky.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    Low reps, high weight, hitting exhaustion at the end of three sets will help to build muscle.

If you use low weights for many reps, you will increase endurance but not much else.

Source: New Rules of Lifting for Women

P.S. 99% of women don't get bulky.

Complete broscience.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    i did low weight high reps for years thinking "this will tone me up!" i was only getting stronger at a crawl and didn't see much muscle development. now that i'm lifting like a guy, i'm getting a lot more toned even though i'm eating at a deficit and i like being able to lift heavier and heavier weights.

The problem with the way women tend to do high rep work is that they don't tend to work very hard when doing so, stopping when it starts to get a little hard. That does absolutely nothing.

High rep work when done right is pure torture, much harder than low rep work, pushing through the even increasing burn. A set of high rep squats should leave you physically unable to walk for a few minutes.

High rep work tends to get a bad rap because a lot of the people that do it don't try very hard, oftentimes because they don't even know what it means to try hard when lifting, and thus get no results.

Put in the effort and the results will come.

For many it is the path to easiest gains because of the overfocus on low rep work.