Buying a heart rate monitor for small weight loss goal

Options
Hey everyone!

I'm planning on buying a heart rate monitor, and I've got my eye on the Polar FT4, it's very basic and has everything I basically need (calorie burn!)
But I'm always going forth and back on buying one because I don't have a majorly big weight loss goal (15 pounds) so I'm wondering if I really need it...
I wanna know how many calories I burn specifically but I don't know, I feel like I'm wasting money on the heart rate monitor...

Anyone else with small weight loss goals who has bought a heart rate monitor? Would you recommend one for other people with small weight loss goals? Why (or why not)?

Thanks in advance! :D

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose weight at all and I use mine all the time. I like to know where my heart rate is when I'm running and it's a perk to be able to see how many calories I've burned. A HRM is only for use during steady state cardio workouts like running, intense aerobics, cycling and not to be worn all the time or used for weight lifting, yoga, pilates, etc.
  • xSilke
    xSilke Posts: 31
    Options
    Thank you for your comment :)

Also bumping this because I need more than 1 opinion
  • mumreeder
    mumreeder Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I have lost 12lb and have about another 6 or so to go. I bought a Polar FT4 and it arrived yesterday. Used it for the first time and was hooked. It showed I didn't burn as many calories doing my cardio as MFP said (about 40 cals out) so if I was to be eating back exercise cals then I would have over eaten. As the other poster said - I love using the watch to tell me when I am "in the zone" as this is when you are really burning some fat as it were. Can't wait to try it out when I am on my bike next to see if I actually get "in the zone" or whether I am wasting my time cycling for half hour! You can use it as a watch too so after you lost the final bit of weight it has another use ;-)
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I had less than 20 lbs that I wanted to lose and use it all the time. I want to know my exact calorie count vs a much higher guess fron mfp.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i had a small weight loss goal too and i bought a hrm but i got a cheap one a mio classic, about 30 bucks. it works great and helped me reach my goal. I wanted a polar to begin with too and i figured why do i need something fancy or expensive?
  • tgibbons1935
    tgibbons1935 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and love working out with it. Like the others, I like to know what zone my heart rate is in and how many calories I am burning as accurately as possible. The machines at the gym are always about 40 calories or so above what my HRM says. I think it is well worth the money if you work out a lot. Good luck.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I jsut ordered the Polar FT4 and I am within 10 pounds of my goal. I bought it for two reasons - to see how many calories I burn so I can log properly, but also to get a better estimate as to how many calories I burn in a day so when I get to maintenance level I can be as accurate as possible.
  • jahilmer
    Options
    I own the HRM-7 and the Fitbit and love them both. My Polar HRM is also a watch and though not the prettiest...it lights up at night too. So....you are getting a watch. I agree with above posts that it is important to know your actual calories burnt. MFP was giving me a much higher number and if I went with their number, I might not have lost weight as quickly because it is just a "guesstimate".

My monitor holds up to 100 exercises in it's data section....very easy to use. I use it for walking and for biking. You want to get the best workouts you can so you need to know how much time you are spending in "fat-burning" mode and how much in "cardio-fitness modes" and the watch breaks this down for you. You can vary your workouts if you understand what your heart is doing and how your body is burning fat. It is important to watch your heart rate and this is not an "age" thing....it is to get the best workout. Hope this helped. Jane in Montana
  • LuckyMe000
    Options
    i just bought my ft4 yesterday and i only have 12lbs left....i believe it will help keep me motivated...and its harder to lose weight when you have so little to lose.....so i feel it's gonna help me out to get accurate numbers!

and i agree the MFP over estimates! by alot!
  • SkinnyForMinnie
    SkinnyForMinnie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just got the FT4 and LOVE IT. It is a good price point, and will remember your last 10(?) workouts. AND, it isn't too fancy. I used to have the more advanced FT60 a few years ago and never used half the bells and whistles on it. Basically, I needed something that would accurately measure my heart rate and tell me how many calories I burned every time I worked out and that's it. I then record that data onto MFP and done. FT4 is great, you will enjoy it without being overwhelmed. :wink:
  • lirr10185
    lirr10185 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are never a bad decision. Even after you lose the 15, it can be a great tool for maintenance. I love mine and would be lost with out it.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose weight at all but I still wear mine every run. I use it to judge my intensity level because it's not always easy to tell if you're working too hard or not.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I have the FT4 and i love it. I had 10 lbs left to lose when I boughtit and it was the best decision. I still wear it for all my workouts. I like to know whe I stand.
  • Kristy528
    Kristy528 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit and I just ordered a Polar FT4 it came in the mail yesterday and I am extremly excited to use it. As you can see below I am about half way through my weight loss journey that was 20 lbs, and I am just now getting one. I take a lot of group classes and MFP doesn't have them in their exercise database, and with only about 10 lbs left to lose calories in and out are even more important. I will still use this HRM after in order to maintain the weight that I desire. I think its defintly worth the money to buy one.
  • Sharla_G
    Options
    If the entertainment/novelty of it motivates you to work out, then that's good.

Are you trying to justify the cost?
  • NatsukoG
    NatsukoG Posts: 104
    Options
    I ordered a Polar FT4 today and am collecting it tonight. I hadn't realised that it couldn't be used for lifting/pilates etc. Why's that?

I have about 20lbs left to lose and I've got it into my head that smaller targets need more precise calorie management so I want to be really sure when I'm eating back exercise calories that I'm not eating too many.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I think they're a great tool whether your goal is large, small, or maintain.

Here's what I'd get: http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/90036747-h1.html

With the code HEART8, it's down to 72.68 with free shipping (only a few dollars more than the ft4).

***you can get a fitbit from them too. I got the fitbit one yesterday for 86.99, free shipping using that code. I am going to continue to use both my HRM and my fitbit together to see if I can get out of a funk I'm in.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Gadgets keep me motivated.

HRMs in general can't accurately monitor any exercise which isn't just cardio. They measure heart rate, pilates is great for overall fitness but doesn't get the blood pumping in quite the same way and thus they can't calculate it.
  • gmil
    gmil Posts: 1
    Options
    If you want to know calorie burn, try a Bodymedia Core or Link. I have found it to be accurate and great to use and provides a lot of really good information (depending on whether you'd like to get the data over Bluetooth or by plugging it in via a USB cable into your computer). One piece of information it doesn't provide is heart rate, though. It also integrates seamlessly with MFP, so you enter your food as usual on MFP and Bodymedia will plug in adjustments as exercise on MFP automatically.

It looks like they're 30% off today. See: http://www.bodymedia.com/Shop/Armband-Packages
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I purchased the same one and I don't have much weight to lose either. I'm happy with the purchase and like to know what I am burning from each type of exercise so I know which is the most effective.