Work out when you're sick?

Options
So, I've got this lovely cold/sinus crap going on right now... low grade fever, stuffy head/ears, cough, sore throat. I'm not deathly ill or anything, just sick enough to make myself thoroughly uncomfortable. I went to work today. Honestly, I don't WANT to do anything other than lay on my couch.

What do you guys do? Should I skip my workouts for a few days in the interest of extra rest, or keep plugging away? I know there are immune boosting benefits from exercise, but the extra rest sounds oh so nice.

By the way, I don't have much of an appetite right now... sticking to mostly soups, fluids, etc. So, I'm not really worried about gaining weight. Just wondering which would be better from a health standpoint.

Replies

• workoutchick
    workoutchick Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I didn't work last week because I had a cold. I drank alot of extra water.
  • mrsobcripps
    mrsobcripps Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had this last week, did 1 workout and I made myself feel worse, just rest then get back on it when your better
    Hope you feel better soon :) x
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    Options
    perhaps we have the same cold! started last night sneezing and I could feel it coming on
    stuffy foggy head, running nose, generally feeling achey and congested! crap sleep last night-normally I am up at 445am to workout, that DIDNT happen this morning.

I can workout after work as well and i just may- heres my 2 cents

can you breath normally without an exerted effort? are you able to fuel your body as normal? do you have a fever, vomiting or diarrhea?

you can breath normally and fuel and hydrate your body-I say go for it, if you are too ill to breathe normally, have issues drinking eating enough, and are losing fluids due to vomiting/diarrhea...then id pass
  • Julie7741
    Julie7741 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input...

I do have a low grade fever, so I'm thinking I'll strike a happy medium and do a light workout tonight. Maybe some yoga on the wii or a walk. I'm sure Jillian will miss me!