Cheat Foods.. Do or Don't?

Options
I wondered if someone who has been fairly successful in their weight loss thus far has any advice on this topic. I am only about three weeks in to my new routine/diet and wondered whether you allow yourself to cheat on occasion in order to feel less deprived of your favorite things.

I've kind of told myself I would allow myself maybe one or two meals each week that I really want.. and have also decided not to cut out alcohol entirely. But I guess I worry that allowing myself these cheats could lead me back down the wrong path. I haven't been very successful in starting my weight-loss journey and maintaining it. I have tried a few times now and usually end up going off the deep end.

Any advice you have is much appreciated!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would first ask you why you have placed specific food items off limits.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Nothing is off limits to me, i might eat less of it, or budget my calories throughout the day for it. Don't deprive yourself of things you really want or else you will end up hating your "diet".
  • goldberry78
    goldberry78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in eating what I like, but in moderation. I don't have any foods on a list of "never eats." For me, moderation has certainly been my best weight-loss philosophy. So far I've lost 60 pounds and I still find a way to sneak a little chocolate in each day. But I make sure it fits in my plan. I think that as we lose weight, we should be changing our lifestyle to a way we can live long-term.
  • carmenni
    Options
    I think a cheat is okay- but make sure that you always come back and work twice as hard because its easy to get off track.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by "cheat."

I still eat things that aren't especially healthy, but I still log them, and enjoy them in moderation. I also plan for them and find a way to work them into my caloric goals - usually with exercise. There are things I couldn't live without, so I've just found healthier versions to substitute.
  • zenathabutifll1
    Options
    id say never really cheat yourself.. just minimize... i have cut out all meat except fish... I only did this because i noticed how my body reacts to it.... i blow up like a cow... lol but this will be a lifestyle change... all other things like sweets i take one or two bites then toss it...eventually i get mad and just dont buy large portion sizes or dont buy it at all because i hate wasting money...
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I don't think its going to completely sabatoage your weight loss. and at some point your going to have to learn how to eat what you enjoy and not over do it.

personally i think avoiding certain foods is helpful when you want to lose weight, especially if you have trouble eating a certain food in moderation.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i say eat whatever you want,, then go work it off.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't cut any foods off. If I want them, I make sure to budget it into my day and eat it! I also allow myself one day a week (roughly) to eat over my calories, and for over a year now it's been pretty successful.
  • tglorenz
    tglorenz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think moderation can be extremely difficult at the beginning of a new eating plan. I definitely avoid buying icecream and snack foods, because I know that I won't just have one serving. I think if you want to treat yourself once per week by going out to get something that you enjoy, then go for it...but don't have those ingredients at home. However, I've noticed that the more I allow myself to "cheat", the more it gives me permission to do so in the future and the more I fantasize about/ fixate on what I can't have until that time...which sometimes leads me to overdo it when I actually do allow myself to have what I desire. Practice being disciplined. Also, cutting out alcohol is a great idea. It can cause you to over-indulge and it's really just empty calories. Focus on eating foods that are densely packed with nutrients, especially if you're limiting your calorie intake. Lastly... try to avoid sugar (and fake sugar) as much as possible. It's addictive, and the more you eat it, the more you crave it.
    Try Shirataki noodles/ miracle noodles (0-20 cal per serving). Melt some fat free cheese on it... kinda like mac n cheese. Or heat it with some cinnamon and a little maple syrup. Sounds weird, but tastes good. Romaine lettuce instead of bread or tortilla.... etc.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Nothing is off limits to me, i might eat less of it, or budget my calories throughout the day for it. Don't deprive yourself of things you really want or else you will end up hating your "diet".

Ditto. This is how I lost weight and more importantly kept it off. Learn how to live eating MODERATE amounts of any food.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Don't consider it "cheating." Just make sure whatever you eat fits into your calorie goal, and that you hit your macros numbers. If you want to eat or drink more than normal one day, get an extra workout in, then you can intake more calories.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I love to bake, and will simply budget those "bad" foods into my daily calorie intake. Like I have a delicious chocolate tart at home right now and I've been enjoying a slice of it every day after working out. On the weekends I generally don't log and might binge on two slices. :) I also believe in eating the best possible version of whatever your designated cheat food is. If you're going to have a burger and fries, go to a restaurant that does them really well as opposed to McDonald's (unless you genuinely prefer the McDonald's version).
  • AubreyLeong
    AubreyLeong Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything off limits as well. I calculate every bite and try to avoid sugar and processed foods...but occasionally I'll eat these things in moderation and fit them within my calorie budget. I've lost 15 lbs in the past month and I don't feel deprived at all! I do feel better though when I make healthy food choices which helps me to keep making them because I want to FEEL good!! Good luck!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    The BF made a huge slow cooker full of sour kraut and sausage last night. And it wasn't low-fat or low-cal anything. I planned ahead and made it fit in my budget for the day. I controlled my portion and mixed it with some healthier options. Still had my cake and I ate it too!

It's all about fitting things together so that you AREN'T depriving yourself. That doesn't mean starve yourself the whole day so you can eat an entire pizza, but if you know you're going out to eat and there aren't many healthy options or you're going to a family gathering where you can't control the food, adjust your calories accordingly. Make a buffer so that if there are some higher cal things you can afford it without going insane over it.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I have a 90/10 rule. 90% whole healthy foods and 10% indulgence. Works great for me!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    If I tried to cut out alcohol completely, I would fail miserably. I add wine to my diary first, then plan out the rest of my day. I also eat some type of chocolate almost everyday. As for eating 'cheat' food, yes, there are some things that I have cut out and only eat on special occasions. Like chocolate cake with lots of frosting and warm brownies. Because I can't just have one brownie, I want the whole d@mn pan, so I only eat these things on my heavy exercise days when I have the calories to spare.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    There are foods that I don't have very often anymore because if I'm going to eat them, there's no such thing as moderation. A deep dish pizza, for example. I suppose I could have 1 or 2 slices, but that's so very, very unlikely to happen after the first bite. To compensate, I view my calories as a weekly budget and if I know I'm going to go over one day, I try to even things out for the rest of the week.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I wondered if someone who has been fairly successful in their weight loss thus far has any advice on this topic. I am only about three weeks in to my new routine/diet and wondered whether you allow yourself to cheat on occasion in order to feel less deprived of your favorite things.

I've kind of told myself I would allow myself maybe one or two meals each week that I really want.. and have also decided not to cut out alcohol entirely. But I guess I worry that allowing myself these cheats could lead me back down the wrong path. I haven't been very successful in starting my weight-loss journey and maintaining it. I have tried a few times now and usually end up going off the deep end.

Any advice you have is much appreciated!

I only occasionally take a cheat meal on an occasion like anniversay, birthday etc. It is a meal that I don't bother logging, but its not an opportunity to pig out. It is reasonable. I don't believe in taking one every week as I think all you cheat is yourself.
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    No cheat foods here, just work whatever you wan't into your caloric goals. Treating myself to KFC for lunch today, but it will mean a lighter supper than usual, and probably no evening snack. So be it!!

I know for myself If II ever started taking cheat meals things would get out of hand too quick as I am still just getting a handle on portion control and binge eating.