No matter what I do I can't lose weight.

Options
Hi everyone. I need some help. I'm at a loss for why i can't lose weight.

I am 190ib, 20 yrs old and 5'6

In early December I started dieting on weight watchers online...I lose 10 pounds within 5 weeks and then I hit a plateau...or so I think I did...didn't know you could hit a plateau that early! Anyways, I decided to cancel my subscription and start using MFP because it's cheaper and also more realistic for long term (calories instead of points)...and I'm still going between 190-192 since January 5th! I'm very discouraged I tried cutting down my carb intake and it didn't really do anything. I don't eat sugar or white flour at all...I exercise about 2x per week 45 mins each....on MFP im currently eating 1400 cals/ day. hoping someone can help!! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• carmenni
    Options
    What kind of exercises are you doing?
  • sarbear1993
    Options
    Cardio.. On the treadmill and it's basically like fast walking/sprinting...
  • Abi_bug04
    Options
    I just recently started to use the TDEE/BMR method and absolutely love it!
    It let's me eat to my fill (!!!!!) and also makes me very aware of what I am putting in my body!
    I was referred to the "spreadsheet" which does all the calculations for you (you just need to put in your exercise amounts for the week, and it calculates the net amount of calories you should be eating. It also decreases the chances of a plateau, and adjusts your calorie goals as you lose weight!

You can download it from here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/spreadsheet-ver-3-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calcs-macro-calcs-hrm-zones-426221

I generally stick to the "simple setup" tab because it is straight forward. I may go into it a bit more and tweak it once I have lost more weight, however for now I am sticking to that! I then just manually change my MFP settings to the target indicated by the spreadsheet. Afterwards, I don't add in any exercise, unless I do something absolutely intense. I thought that this method took away the uncertainty of wondering about how many calories were right for me based on my activity level!

Just another option that makes all of this simpler!

Good luck!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: this calculation does not factor in BF%, which means it is less accurate than if I knew your measurements.

I put your info into a BMR calculator on fat2fitradio.comm and this is what I got:

Custom BMR Calculation

Thanks for checking your BMR here on Fat 2 Fit Radio. If you're not already subscribed to Fat 2 Fit Radio, consider doing so today. Please visit the Subscribe page to get the podcast delivered automatically to your iTunes, Juice, e-mail inbox or the podcatcher of your choice for FREE.

Entered information: 20 year old female, 66 inches tall, weighing 190 pounds, BMI of 30.7 (Obese).

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 190 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1698 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level

Daily Calories

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job)

Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)

Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)

Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)

Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

NOTE: Please remember that this calculation is just a guideline. Your metabolism may be higher or lower based on the amount of lean muscle you have. Use these numbers a a starting point and tweak them up or down based on your weight loss or gain. It may take a couple weeks to get your exact calorie level.

If you have any questions on what you've read here, please contact us.

So, lightly active 2335 - 20% = 1768 calories a day to lose a pound a week. You should eat more.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I need some help. I'm at a loss for why i can't lose weight.

I am 190ib, 20 yrs old and 5'6

In early December I started dieting on weight watchers online...I lose 10 pounds within 5 weeks and then I hit a plateau...or so I think I did...didn't know you could hit a plateau that early! Anyways, I decided to cancel my subscription and start using MFP because it's cheaper and also more realistic for long term (calories instead of points)...and I'm still going between 190-192 since January 5th! I'm very discouraged I tried cutting down my carb intake and it didn't really do anything. I don't eat sugar or white flour at all...I exercise about 2x per week 45 mins each....on MFP im currently eating 1400 cals/ day. hoping someone can help!! Thanks in advance.

You need to make sure you are eating above your Basal Metabolic Rate (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ put you at 1692 calories. But below your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (use the same calculator above). I would try to increase your exercise slightly, and increase your calories to above your BMR. Check out this thread for more info from a much better educated source: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them
  • sarbear1993
    Options
    Thanks guys...I guess it's a misconception that the less calories you eat, the more you lose...

I'm nervous to add more calories but by all the answers I think I have to....what of I'm not hungry enough to eat all those calories??? My pretty content with 1400...usually never hungry
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...I guess it's a misconception that the less calories you eat, the more you lose...

I'm nervous to add more calories but by all the answers I think I have to....what of I'm not hungry enough to eat all those calories??? My pretty content with 1400...usually never hungry

I started eating more about three weeks ago, and I became hungrier pretty quickly, for some people it happens slower. Try increasing to 1500 for few days and see how you feel. If you are hungry, increase so 1600, and so on. Make sure never to go above TDEE and once you are above BMR, don't go below it.
    I am definitely still learning about all of this, so I'll let you know how it goes.
    Good luck!