Cottage Cheese

Options
I'm intrigued to try it but it's consistancy looks awful, can anyone advise what's a good brand and what is good to eat with the cottage cheese.

Replies

• Mikel19842013
    Options
    Not sure if you are fro UK or if you can get it where ever you are from but Longley Farm has excellent cottage cheese.
  • 2shoes123
    2shoes123 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I like Friendship brand cottage cheese. The 1% whipped is really good to add to recipes for added protein boost (quiche, pancakes). I also like the 4% fat and the 2% and I eat it plain. Try it with sugar free jello or fruit if you aren't used to the taste by itself.
  • Cardob
    Cardob Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No Mike I'm in the US East coast, but Thank you :smile:
  • Cardob
    Cardob Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like Friendship brand cottage cheese. The 1% whipped is really good to add to recipes for added protein boost (quiche, pancakes). I also like the 4% fat and the 2% and I eat it plain. Try it with sugar free jello or fruit if you aren't used to the taste by itself.

Thanks 2shoes123, I'll try these out :)
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE cottage cheese! I don't think I've ever tried a brand that I didn't like; just always check your exp dts. I enjoy my cottage cheese with peaches or pineapples. DELICIOUS!
  • MrsC160
    MrsC160 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like small curd cottage cheese mixed with salsa or a little bit of mozzarella cheese and Italian seasoning. I eat it as dip with something crunchy. I also use it as a substitution for ricotta in lasagna.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese! Eating it right now actually. Just give it a try, you won't know if you like it til you do. Give a few brands a try, I find that some just aren't as good, but that might just be me. My favorite is Trader Joe's. I know most people like to eat theirs with sweet stuff, like fruit but I prefer it plain or with things like green onion, avocado and tomato.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese! Eating it right now actually. Just give it a try, you won't know if you like it til you do. Give a few brands a try, I find that some just aren't as good, but that might just be me. My favorite is Trader Joe's. I know most people like to eat theirs with sweet stuff, like fruit but I prefer it plain or with things like green onion, avocado and tomato.

I agree; I don't care for cottage cheese with fruit, but love it mixed with tuna. Don't need the mayo then! :glasses:
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It really is trial and error. My ex co worker & I use to eat cottage cheese every day @ work for breakfast. Me, I preferred the local brand (Meijer) low fat, she preferred Country Fresh full fat. They vary so much in consistency and flavor. One thing I will tell you is this. It is a GREAT protein source and you can mix it with a variety of fresh fruits for something different! I use to regularly eat it with fresh blueberries, blackberries, raspberries or fresh pineapple. Depending on what was in season and looked good. Still one of my favorite choices when dining out vs a fatty appetizer. Plus, being female, calcium is important.
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Greek Yogurt? It reminds me of Cottage Cheese w/o the curds. It really does AND it is a fabulous source of protein! Much higher than regular old fashioned yogurt. I vary between cottage cheese and greek yogurt.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Greek Yogurt? It reminds me of Cottage Cheese w/o the curds. It really does AND it is a fabulous source of protein! Much higher than regular old fashioned yogurt. I vary between cottage cheese and greek yogurt.
    I actually love to mix the 2 together. It makes a more filling, high protein meal without the extra sodium of just eating more cottage cheese.
  • mrhousley22
    Options
    Cottage cheese is great with baked tortilla chips,but it is all preference as everyone else has stated. If any advice I could share is try the different sized curd some people like small curd (I prefer this myself) and some like large curd. Give it a try you might surprise yourself and actually like it and you will have another aid towards weight loss.
  • Gin66
    Gin66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I mix my cottage cheese with dannon lit and fit vanilla yogurt (equal parts) and add some berries. My fav dessert.
  • mrowrmeowmrowr
    mrowrmeowmrowr Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've tried just about every store brand cottage cheese in the midwest and they are just as good as the name brands. The only one I would stay away from is Walmart Great Value Brand. I found it was rather soupy.
  • martinh78
    Options
    Mix it with scrambled eggs.
  • MrsC160
    MrsC160 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Mix it with scrambled eggs.

with a little bit of fresh spinach, red onion, and green pepper.......................

*visions of dancing eggs*

great, now I want scrambled eggs!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I actually really like it as my sweet dessert-type thing as a snack after lunch or dinner. I put a little almond butter in it and a drizzle of honey.

Weird thing I noticed- I buy cottage cheese at Whole Foods so its organic and whatnot, but the 2% milkfat tastes DRASTICALLY better than the 1% to me. And I've never drank anything but skim milk either. Just a thought.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I preferred the Simply Kraft, Praire Farms or Kroger Lowfat. I love it plain. I don't do fruit with it. I eat it all the time for breakfast or a quick snack.
  • bluefrog_2001
    bluefrog_2001 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yummmmm...........cottage cheese and pineapple....or peaches.....:love::heart:
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It's all preference, some people like it plain with salt and pepper or with fruit. I've seen recipes for pancakes using it. I like to eat in in my eggs. I put a little butter in a pan and toss in a handful of spinach, cooking it and squishing it down to get rid of as much moisture as I can. Then, I add 1-2 tablespoons of cottage cheese into the pan and crack in 3 eggs and scramble it in the pan. Sprinkle with a little salt and eat. Or....you can just mix it with your scrambled eggs before cooking. The recommended is about 1-2 tablespoons per 3 eggs....or there will be a running liquid on your plate and the eggs wont set up quite right. It makes the fluffiest eggs ever.