Deciding Activity Level

Options
Forgive me if this is a question that is asked all too often. I'm trying to decide which activity level I should choose for MFP to decide my base calories. Lightly active seems to give me too few and I'm not certain if Active is where I should be either.

In a typical 24 hour day period, without excersizing, I spend approximately:
2 hours driving
6 hours working at my computer
7 hours going nonstop playing with and taking care of kids, often holding one of them, cleaning house, making dinner, you all know the routine, LOL

What would you choose?

Replies

• lavieenrose11
    Options
    I'm in the same dilemma! I can't decide between sedentary & lightly active. I don't know if I'd say I'm on my feet a good part of the day, but I don't sit around. I'm a student, so I walk from class to class but spend time sitting in desks & doing homework at home. I do clean and such at home too.

I'm confused! Help me too please!

Sorry I couldn't help you, AgeTaylor.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I assume that typical daily activity level is included in the daily calorie count. I'm a SAHM and spend the typical time on my feet, cleaning, etc. but overall I chose sedentary. Now, as a college student I would have chosen lightly active but that is because I walked to class, climbed 3 flights of stairs multiple times a day, walked all the way across campus multiple times a day, etc. I think of "active" more as jobs my husband has had spending the day lifting 40 pound weights or lugging around heavy objects. If it were me, I'd opt for the lower activity level. If you are really torn you could opt for the lower and make up a daily exercise that fills a few extra calories to split the difference between the two.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I do sedentary (student), but allow myself to go over by a few calories as long as 1. i'm hungry and 2. i'm eating well and 3. i had a busier day than usual.
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My day sounds pretty close to the same. I am down for Light activity.
  • dellroyy
    dellroyy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can actually use the exercise data base to calulate calories burned for your house work.

So you could put in sedentary then add in the 7 hours of house work etc.

But like wise you also seem to know you better (which is of course the case), so you can also judge it yourself.

I would go for lightly active though if I were you.

I sit at a desk 8+ hours a day, 2 hours driving then sit in and watch tv all night. Luckily housework and cooking done by other half and no kids...... Yeah I know lazy. But then I can count every additional claorie for exercise, 1 hour football, 40mins running etc.
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    Options
    Experiment and find out. If you choose "light activity" and a goal of a pound a week, then stick to the calorie count and see if you consistently make your goal. If you're at or under the calorie goal each day but not losing that pound, you may want to try "sedentary".

Even then, everyone's body and every day is going to different for how many calories we burn through the normal course of activities. Only experience will tell you how much to eat to make your goals.